Tucking Mill

queensquare

Traction engines with the cast hatched tread tended to make a bit of a mess of it! The bottom line is the rubber tyres were an awful lot quicker to make!!

Tanks still cause havoc with the desired road maintenance schedules in certain counties.

Really good to see further progress (and looking forward to joining you again for a play in the new year)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really good to see further progress (and looking forward to joining you again for a play in the new year)

Thanks Rich, its Highbury we are taking to Southampton in January. Saturday, when you are helping, will be 1920's steam. Sunday, when Pixie is helping out, will be diesel day, c.1970 (+/- a bit!). Tome E (Ropley) of this Parish will be with us both days.

Jerry

• 2 months later...

Jerry,

Firstly, great to see TM in the flesh at Warley - it looked superb. Now kicking myself I didn't ask you about the off-scene turntable as Trevanion Dries (in its latest re-hash) will use something very similar, with a diameter of about 24" to feed a scenic board of 54" length. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the Aylesbury Railex but in the meantime, any top tips, problems and solutions you came across in its construction that you'd care to share would be gratefully received!

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham, thanks for your comments. The train table is pretty simple, suffice to say I can't play my old Abba albums any more!! Its an old record deck with a ply top - they have very accurate, solid and free spinning bearings.

We are at Nottingham this weekend with Tucking Mill and York over Easter so if you can make either of them come and say hello and you can have a good look at the train table for yourself.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham, thanks for your comments. The train table is pretty simple, suffice to say I can't play my old Abba albums any more!! Its an old record deck with a ply top - they have very accurate, solid and free spinning bearings.

So, your old hi-fi has met its Waterloo in search of a vinyl solution to the perennial fiddle yard problem. You're a Bjorn inventor.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 3

Well we had a great weekend at Nottingham even though I have been laid up with a stinking cold ever since given to me some kind sole. The layout performed pretty well considering its pretty new and proved yet again what a stinker (ie fun) one it is to shunt.

Hi Jerry. Nice Photos. It was good to see you and the other 2mm layouts at the Weekend. We had quite a little 2mm gathering going on by the time Sunday afternoon came around and it was good to try the Manor on a different controller.

Don't get me started on the Forest of Dean. I have a nice little book hiding on my shelf somewhere in amongst all of my other diversions like Woodhead and the S&D.

Hope you enjoy York.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jerry - that's superb - not seen any photos of Tucking Mill until now, very impressed indeed!

I was going to say next 'you know what I'm going to ask', but on reflection, I think I've already asked it, and got the answer I want!! :D

• Like 1

I notice that, with the exception of Bodmin on shed, there are no pictures of the proper trains we ran - which was most of the time....honest. 

Sorry Jerry I just don't believe you...

Don't get me started on the Forest of Dean. I have a nice little book hiding on my shelf somewhere

I have a similar one: Great Western Branch Lines 2 - Rural Wales.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've just clicked why you are referring to it as TF above...and I thought the F word was playing mind games again :D

Lovely pics Jerry...the layout looks terrific...another one to add to my 'must see' list...

• RMweb Gold

Jerry - that's superb - not seen any photos of Tucking Mill until now, very impressed indeed!

I was going to say next 'you know what I'm going to ask', but on reflection, I think I've already asked it, and got the answer I want!! :D

Thanks Tim, 2014 I think;-)

Sorry Jerry I just don't believe you...

But its true....honest. We didn't have any diesels on Saturday!

I've just clicked why you are referring to it as TF above...and I thought the F word was playing mind games again :D

Lovely pics Jerry...the layout looks terrific...another one to add to my 'must see' list...

Thanks Pete, the F slip was a bit Freudian, not sure where that came from - now edited. Mind you we are constantly being asked if Tucking Mill is a spoonerism!

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

now edited.

Actually, you have referred to it twice Jerry...hence my confusion...:no:

I genuinely thought it was a nod to Tucking Fulling...as per your original narrative...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually, you have referred to it twice Jerry...hence my confusion... :no:

I genuinely thought it was a nod to Tucking Fulling...as per your original narrative...

Ah, that would make sense....its been a long week :no:

Jerry

• Like 1

Jerry,

TM is looking wonderful - another little gem from the Warminster production line. I must admit that the Manor looks brilliant - is it a fine-scaled Ixion ? Even the diseasels don't look too bad!

John

I must admit that the Manor looks brilliant - is it a fine-scaled Ixion ?

Yes John - Ixion with a Nigel Ashton milled brass chassis kit underneath. If you want more detail...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/blog-722/cat-498-steam

I really must get around to coal, crew, weathering and so on... plus getting rid of the last couple of bits of PVC insulation still holding the conn rods in place.

Regards, Andy

• RMweb Gold

Having got over the flu which I brought back from Nottingham I spent the evening getting the layout ready to take up to York this weekend. Whilst at it I thought I would snap a couple of the 'proper' trains we run.

On Highbury we don't have much to do with passenger trains - not so Tucking Mill. Since Christmas I have managed to build (although as usual not yet paint!), a couple of short rakes of coaches.

The ex North London coaches are used to form the mixed train and are seen with 'Holly', the Hudswell Clarke (also unpainted!) at the head.

post-1074-0-96674000-1364427746_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-15919100-1364427783_thumb.jpg

The Terrier is the very nice Dapol body which still awaits titivating sat on a new 2mm chassis. The three coach rake is of ex GE origin.

post-1074-0-63328900-1364427807_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-40440000-1364427829_thumb.jpg

The final couple of shots need no introduction - pure Ealing - or will be when I finish the rest of the train!

post-1074-0-93738800-1364427862_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-27408200-1364427886_thumb.jpg

Jerry 

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful stuff Jerry. After the comments on the Vag and seeing your coaches I feel tempted to put together the GW ones but they are a bit out of period to go with the Manor (chassis kit in store)

I would be interested in your approach on the terrier chassis. I have the terrier plus some 8mm wheels and was intending to try to build my own.

Don

• Like 1