Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

NCE Powercab is a very good "all-in-one" solution, but I found the lack of a speed control knob awkward.  

If you go for the NCE, you can add a separate Cab for control, (say the Cab 06 http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-104202/nce-cab06-intermediate-nce-dcc-cab-with-kno)  with which you can control just about everything, but you cant program with it.

I found when using the Powercab that I spent too much time looking at the handset rather than the layout.

Cheers, Dave.

PS see you Saturday.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for letting me have a play on the layout at Taunton Jerry.  The DCC seemed to be working well, i'm sure its the right decision given that Tucking Mill is no longer a "one engine in steam"  layout.
I have never used the ZTC system before, and it took a while to get used to the Regulator Handle.  But it does have good solid Off and Full positions, and a proper reversing switch

If you go for the NCE, you can add a separate Cab for control, (say the Cab 06 http://www.dccsuppli...cc-cab-with-kno)  with which you can control just about everything, but you cant program with it.

I tried out the NCE Cab06 on Richard's Acacia Avenue, and to be quite honest I think I preferred the regular Powercab.  

The Cab06 has a nice knob for speed control, but its a continuous rotating one; it doesn't have an "off" stop position.  

With the display only showing the loco number, you have no indication from the handset (visual from the display or "feel" from the knob) as to where the speed level is.  

I feel it would be so much better with an old-fashioned "pot" with Off and Full position.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, and my other guest operators over the weekend, Phil, Maurice and of course Kim.

I must admit to being a little nervous before my first outing as a fully DCC layout. If asked what the worst conditions are for reliable running I'd say chucking it down outside with lots of wet visitors coming into a hot, crowded, carpeted exhibition hall! Guess what we had Saturday morning!! Nevertheless the layout, and locos performed well. There were a few finger pokes but nothing excessive and the cocktail stick occasionally had to come out due to sticky couplings but overall it performed well and I was really pleased.

Having played with the ZTC handhelds all weekend I think Dave's comments are a fair assesment. They are positive to use and dialling up a loco is quick and easy. I like the lever style throttle although would like a slightly wider sweep. I won't be rushing out to find a replacement.

On a more general note I really enjoyed the weekend - great company, some fabulous layouts (Hope-under-Dinmore, pre-grouping glory in EM being my favourite), Brittania and 'two soups Thai' on Staurday evening and probably the best show catering around courtesy of the Taunton School chefs.

Jerry

• Like 2

....first outing as a fully DCC layout......There were a few finger pokes ....

With DCC, stay-alive circuits of a handful of tiny ceramic capacitors make a huge difference to finger-poke frequency.  It is worth removing a little ballast weight to install them.  See my blog posts, or Carsten Berger's website.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

One other major event at Taunton this weekend was my old mate John Greenwood being presented with the Geoff Balfour Trophy and the Geoff Jones Trophy for best 2mm article (MRJ 235) and layout (Wadebridge) respectively by myself and Jim Allwood. I was guest editor of that MRJ and managing to persuade John to write about his almost fifty years building exquisite 2mm models made my job easy. John is probably the best and most modest modeller I know and these rewards were very well deserved.

post-1074-0-59065500-1445810189_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 15

Thanks Dave, and my other guest operators over the weekend, Phil, Maurice and of course Kim.

I must admit to being a little nervous before my first outing as a fully DCC layout. If asked what the worst conditions are for reliable running I'd say chucking it down outside with lots of wet visitors coming into a hot, crowded, carpeted exhibition hall! Guess what we had Saturday morning!! Nevertheless the layout, and locos performed well. There were a few finger pokes but nothing excessive and the cocktail stick occasionally had to come out due to sticky couplings but overall it performed well and I was really pleased.

Having played with the ZTC handhelds all weekend I think Dave's comments are a fair assesment. They are positive to use and dialling up a loco is quick and easy. I like the lever style throttle although would like a slightly wider sweep. I won't be rushing out to find a replacement.

On a more general note I really enjoyed the weekend - great company, some fabulous layouts (Hope-under-Dinmore, pre-grouping glory in EM being my favourite), Brittania and 'two soups Thai' on Staurday evening and probably the best show catering around courtesy of the Taunton School chefs.

And thank YOU (and John G) for inviting me, it was a real pleasure to help out. It was a very enjoyable show, not least because of the delightful company with a great bunch friends - you and Kim, Maurice H, Nick S, Dave T, and John and Edna G. Brilliant! Oh... and not forgetting those massages from 'Two Soups Thai', of course. Quite a hoot! We must go back there sometime...  ;)

I too found the ZTC DCC system easy and responsive to use. And it revolutionised the operation of even on a modestly-sized layout like Tucking Mill. I think you made the right choice. So, no worries, matie!   

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Gold

The building looks a bit grand for a 90's version, a second set of buildings to swap it for a bus shelter or probably just a lamp post ;)

Nice to see Tucking Mill and Wadebridge together and running so sweetly too. I struggle to get OO kits running that well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The building looks a bit grand for a 90's version, a second set of buildings to swap it for a bus shelter or probably just a lamp post ;)

Nice to see Tucking Mill and Wadebridge together and running so sweetly too. I struggle to get OO kits running that well.

Hi Paul, I think more likely station a tea room and the trackbed (sans track) a cycle path!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Jim  and myself did suggest doing that while Jerry wisely ignored us. It was good to have you there for the show. Top quality modelling.

Don

Hi Paul, I think more likely station a tea room and the trackbed (sans track) a cycle path!

Ahhh yes, that's the answer - model it post-closure! Then there's no need to muck about with tiresome locomotive mechanisms, DCC or all that jazz... :toclue:  :sarcastic:

Edited by Phil Copleston

More pictures from an exhibition...

post-14107-0-63353500-1445862460_thumb.jpg

Kim, Maurice and John at the start of the show on Saturday, 24th October.

post-14107-0-50633200-1445862494_thumb.jpg

John doing a spot of shunting and looking very pleased with himself!

post-14107-0-51919800-1445862517_thumb.jpg

Jim Allwood (former Chairman of the 2mm Scale Association) presenting John with the Geoff Balfour Memorial Trophy (given to the person who is considered to have best promoted 2mm scale modelling and the Association through writings in the British modelling press during the past year). 

post-14107-0-44859800-1445862537_thumb.jpg

Jim, John and Jerry posing for the Railway Modeller's press photographer. Oh yes, the modelling paparazzi were trailing John that day... 

post-14107-0-48304700-1445862571_thumb.jpg

70000 'Britannia' on a wine and dine special from Cornwall heading north, waiting for the "off" at Taunton, 19:24 hrs, 24th October 2015.

post-14107-0-14601200-1445862595_thumb.jpg

Jerry, Kim and John... and a certain steam locomotive.

What a super weekend that was. Great company, good modelling, and happy memories!  :friends:

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Ahhh yes, that's the answer - model it post-closure! Then there's no need to muck about with tiresome locomotive mechanisms, DCC or all that jazz... :toclue:  :sarcastic:

Quite so, just working bicycles instead!  Piece of cake...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I must admit that the problem of non-DCC fitted visiting locos was one of the main reasons I held back from going digital for so long. The final straw was when I added the Wharf and the extra wiring, section switches etc that would be needed to make full use of having two engines in steam. I hope my guest operators will agree that the flexibility of DCC to have two people playing in close proximity without having to worry about sections etc was well worth it. It also means I can now nick John's engines when we are out together - Beattie Well tanks on the North Somerset Light anyone!

Jerry

• Like 7

With DCC, stay-alive circuits of a handful of tiny ceramic capacitors make a huge difference to finger-poke frequency.  It is worth removing a little ballast weight to install them.  See my blog posts, or Carsten Berger's website.

- Nigel

Any chance of a link please Nigel