Tucking Mill

queensquare

I'm rather pleased with the way it's shaping up.

So you should be. I'm not too pleased that you're the reason I'm trying to put off a £300+ purchase for a controller that I'd forgotten about, but once coveted, though. I'm even tempted by DCC long term, after the talk of sound in the latest magazine and a thread I follow here. 

• RMweb Premium

Over the last few evenings I have ballasted and started chucking some green stuff at the Wharf extension and whist there is a great deal more to do I'm rather pleased with the way it's shaping up.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jerry

Wow, what a difference!

Last night I converted the end loading dock from a lump of balsa to something that hopefully looks like it's constructed of stone. The DAS should be dry by this evening so I'll paint it in. I also added some grass to the sidings using my dwindling supply of dyed lint.

I have also started converting the canal into a long abandoned cut. Reeds and weeds added, lilies, marsh marigolds etc still to go mainly using spots of paint.

My, my Jerry, this scene is really starting to look the part. Its scenic transformation since the Taunton show less than two weeks ago is quite remarkable! It will be even more fun to operate now. Well done you  :good:

• RMweb Premium

I also added some grass to the sidings using my dwindling supply of dyed lint.

I managed to score buy three bags of grass off your mate in Trowbridge the other day.

Excellent work as always, Jerry.

Brilliant!

• RMweb Gold

Last night I converted the end loading dock from a lump of balsa to something that hopefully looks like it's constructed of stone. The DAS should be dry by this evening so I'll paint it in. I also added some grass to the sidings using my dwindling supply of dyed lint.

Looking very fine. The wharf complements the rest of the layout well.

Cotton domelle interlining (for curtains etc.) has a similar nap to surgical lint.  Not quite as dense but it works in the same way.  I found out about the material via member "Gt. Shefford" in  the scenery forum here.

I've got some offcuts of Foamex (a.k.a. Palight) from a local sign maker. I'm going to see how well that scribes for 2mm stonework as I've got a little wharfy/industrially/dual-gaugey project in mind.

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice work, Jerry. I wonder if those awkward BH etches were derived from Falcon Brass (Jidenco) originals?

Will catch up with you and Kim at St Albans. Maurice and I will be lurking in the basement as usual!

I think they could well be Falcon. I have a few others including, from memory, a LSWR horse box and a LNWR chemical wagon of some sort - maybe I'll do those next Christmas.

Looking forward to seeing yourself and Maurice at StAlbans and swapping kitten stories!

Jerry

• Like 1

They look really good Jerry! I always like short wheelbase stock, and the combination of loco (?) and dumb buffers on the SDJR wagons.

What size of plastic rod did you use for your bolt heads? They look very neat! I had planned to use Archer resin rivet decals on a GER sand wagon I'm starting to scratch build, but I'm having second thoughts as to whether something meatier is needed. I suspect its a case of the eye wanting to see more relief than perhaps should be there to scale?

Justin

• RMweb Premium

I think they could well be Falcon. I have a few others including, from memory, a LSWR horse box and a LNWR chemical wagon of some sort - maybe I'll do those next Christmas.

Looking forward to seeing yourself and Maurice at StAlbans and swapping kitten stories!

Jerry

Nice work, Jerry. Indeed Jidenco via David Lidgate to BH Enterprises. I think that I have some of these in my groaning wagon gloat box. You can get a lot of 2mm stuff in a 24 litre Really Useful Box . . .

Amongst other Jidenco offerings I have as many kits for LMS cement hoppers as the LMS actually built.

http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK213

I even started a thread about them hereabouts but I still haven't built them!

Looking forward to Saturday 16th at St Albans- could turn into a bit of a yakkfest though!

David

PS the LNWR wagon is a Chemical Pan Truck but no-one knows what a chemical pan actually is.

http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK207

Andy Hanson has even built one. The truck that is, not the pan. If you see what I mean . . .

Edited by DavidLong
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They look really good Jerry! I always like short wheelbase stock, and the combination of loco (?) and dumb buffers on the SDJR wagons.

What size of plastic rod did you use for your bolt heads? They look very neat! I had planned to use Archer resin rivet decals on a GER sand wagon I'm starting to scratch build, but I'm having second thoughts as to whether something meatier is needed. I suspect its a case of the eye wanting to see more relief than perhaps should be there to scale?

Justin

Thanks Justin. I didn't use any plastic rod for bolts/rivets. The strapping is 5thou plasticard with rivets punched through gently from the rear with a sharpish scriber, the few others I added are from the smallest cubes of 5thou I could manage - use a small amount of solvent to fix them in place. To be honest, as usual, there is only a fraction of the number of rivets/bolt-heads there should be - they are simply not needed in 2mm. Those that are there will be picked up in the painting and weathering and give the required impression - less is more.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Nice work, Jerry. Indeed Jidenco via David Lidgate to BH Enterprises. I think that I have some of these in my groaning wagon gloat box. You can get a lot of 2mm stuff in a 24 litre Really Useful Box . . .

Amongst other Jidenco offerings I have as many kits for LMS cement hoppers as the LMS actually built.

http://www.falconbrassworks.com/details.php?code=WK213

I even started a thread about them hereabouts but I still haven't built them!

Looking forward to Saturday 16th at St Albans- could turn into a bit of a yakkfest though!

David

PS the LNWR wagon is a Chemical Pan Truck but no-one knows what a chemical pan actually is.

Andy Hanson has even built one. The truck that is, not the pan. If you see what I mean . . .

Thanks for confirming their origin David. They are useful little etches for the couple of quid I paid for them although calling them a kit is going a bit far - scratch aids at best! I had forgotten that Andy H had built one of the chemical pan wagons - if you're reading this Andy bring it to StAlbans. I was looking through the CheeTor pictures the other evening and spotted something similar in a train on there so perhaps there are a few of them out there.

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming their origin David. They are useful little etches for the couple of quid I paid for them although calling them a kit is going a bit far - scratch aids at best! I had forgotten that Andy H had built one of the chemical pan wagons - if you're reading this Andy bring it to StAlbans. I was looking through the CheeTor pictures the other evening and spotted something similar in a train on there so perhaps there are a few of them out there.

Jerry

I think the term 'scratch aid' sums these up fairly well, but it is fun (to me at least!) to use them to build something a bit different. I have quite a few etches from this source which cost about £2-£3 each I think from Ray at BH Enterprises. This is the LNWR pan trolley which I have posted photos of on here before.

post-8055-0-86578100-1452107471.jpg

I will put it in the box for St Albans Jerry - it's still in 'indecisive grey' livery as I can't decide whether to finish it in LNWR livery or BR grey (although as I have a second etch, perhaps I could do one of each!). When I was building it, Nigel Hunt very kindly lent me the model he had built previously (which was probably the one you saw on Chee Tor).

I do also have a couple of the short wheelbase GWR wagons part-built somewhere - will have to dig them out and finish them off.

Andy

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I think the term 'scratch aid' sums these up fairly well, but it is fun (to me at least!) to use them to build something a bit different. I have quite a few etches from this source which cost about £2-£3 each I think from Ray at BH Enterprises. This is the LNWR pan trolley which I have posted photos of on here before.

I will put it in the box for St Albans Jerry - it's still in 'indecisive grey' livery as I can't decide whether to finish it in LNWR livery or BR grey (although as I have a second etch, perhaps I could do one of each!). When I was building it, Nigel Hunt very kindly lent me the model he had built previously (which was probably the one you saw on Chee Tor).

I do also have a couple of the short wheelbase GWR wagons part-built somewhere - will have to dig them out and finish them off.

Andy

Thanks for posting that Andy, I shall have to get round to building mine. I like interesting unusual wagons. I'm not sure I could justify it on TM but certainly be at home on Bath.

Jerry

David,

As an aside to Jerry's thread - mystery solved, I think. According to 'LNWR Wagons Supplement No.1' by Peter Ellis (LNWR Society, 2011) http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Sales/book11.php (which I have), page 24 describes these vehicles, thus: 

"Chemical Pan Trolley to carry 12 Tons, Diagram 61: The Diagram 61 chemical pan trolley was introduced in 1883. What exactly 'chemical pans' or 'caustic pots', as they were also described, were, and how they were loaded and unloaded, is uncertain, but they were used to transport caustic soda in the chemical industry in the Widnes area." It goes on the say "No doubt the design was well suited to carry 12 tons in the heavy industrial environment for which it was intended."

There are extensive descriptions and drawings for this 12 Tons, Diagram 61 trolley, but no photos of these elusive vehicles. The book also illustrates and describes a 15 ton, Diagram 106 version too.

Interesting as a model, but not exactly ubiquitous. So, a bit like the mythical Maryport & Carlisle aeroplane propeller carrying wagon - every branchline layout should feature one! (maybe not)

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

David,

As an aside to Jerry's thread - mystery solved, I think. According to 'LNWR Wagons Supplement No.1' by Peter Ellis (LNWR Society, 2011) http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Sales/book11.php (which I have), page 24 describes these vehicles, thus: 

"Chemical Pan Trolley to carry 12 Tons, Diagram 61: The Diagram 61 chemical pan trolley was introduced in 1883. What exactly 'chemical pans' or 'caustic pots', as they were also described, were, and how they were loaded and unloaded, is uncertain, but they were used to transport caustic soda in the chemical industry in the Widnes area." It goes on the say "No doubt the design was well suited to carry 12 tons in the heavy industrial environment for which it was intended."

There are extensive descriptions and drawings for this 12 Tons, Diagram 61 trolley, but no photos of these elusive vehicles. The book also illustrates and describes a 15 ton, Diagram 106 version too.

Interesting as a model, but not exactly ubiquitous. So, a bit like the mythical Maryport & Carlisle aeroplane propeller carrying wagon - every branchline layout should feature one! (maybe not)

Thanks Phil, probably not an everyday site trundling down the Cam Valley!

Jerry