Peter Marriott 'Ardlui' Layout articles?

Hi ,

I was reading the Winter 2006 issue of 'Modern railway Modelling' when i came across an article where Peter Marriott mentions his small 'Ardlui' layout, and from the sole picture it looked like an interesting set up.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of other articles about this layout (if there is any) as I would like to see more photos and learn more about it.

Thanks for your time,

John

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of other articles about this layout (if there is any) as I would like to see more photos and learn more about it.

Hi,

Railway Modeller - July 1988

This might take some finding but it'll be worth it as it contains more background information about the real place than it does about the layout. Lots of useful references to other publications as well.

HTH

Hello John,

My first model of Ardlui appeared in the Railway Modeller of August 1979 when I was a boy. I dare not look at the article now because I recall using a Lima Class 33 on the layout in my innocence thinking it was a Class 26. Shame on me!

I built another layout of Ardlui which first appeared in print in the August 1994 issue of Model Rail magazine as a supplement to RAIL magazine.

There are two pictures of that layout in the current issue of Model Rail (March 2012) along with some words and prototype track plan etc.

I sold the layout in the 1990s but still have some more unpublished pictures of it that may be used in a future article or book.

My interest in Ardlui stemmed from reading Ian Futers article about the station in the Modeller in the early 1970s.

For completeness in the intervening years I wrote various "How To Model The West Highland Line" is Scale Model Trains, Railway Modeller and elsewhere. I just love the WHL. Pity the proper locos have disappeared now!

All the best with modelling Ardlui.

Kind regards,

Peter Marriott

• RMweb Premium

Ardlui 2 (update?) featured in Railway Modeller 1990 November.

Also Railway Modeller 1995 May had an article by Ian Futer with lots of information on the prototype, including track plan.

Kevin Martin

Thanks for your help guys i shall get to work on sourcing those magazines very shortly. This months 'Model Rail' has some valuable info regarding the prototype as well.

Peter, if you could check your private Mail as i've sent you some more questions regarding the layout.

Thanks again,

John

John,

July Modeller contains Ian Futers "Return to Ardlui".

November 1989 Modeller featured 5 pages "Modelling the West Highland Line"

Rail Express Modeller 23 with issue RE 118 contains lots of good infirmation on modelling Scottish services.

Hope this helps.

Peter

• 1 year later...

Archived