Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Covered Hopper Group Build

Looks like screw the trucks back on and its done!!

Nope, underframe and trucks both still need doing plus aforementioned wheel splash marks on the inner ends

Might get done tonight is the garage is too cold for working on the new lighting rig

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted updates on my MKT / UP hopper project mainly due to Eurotrack prep and then a cold / flu virus. Anyway before Eurotrack I did some more work on the underframe weathering along with attending to the trucks

The silo bottoms / hatches were done with artists oils applied with a piece of cosmetic sponge principally round to door area. Then the mix was drawn down using a small flat paint brush and some 'Microsol' to re-activate the paint. The trucks were first given a burnish with a fibre glass brush a la Tony Sissons' thread and then sprayed with Rustoleum Black Rust spray which if 'dusted' gives a nice textured effect. Once dried artists oils (mix of burnt umber / raw umber/ white and black) was v lightly dabbed onto the frames again with cosmetic sponge. Finally the frames got a light dusting of Tamiya 'sand' and 'mud' weathering powders across the raised detail and some rust powders around the springs and journals.

Still to do.........patching out some of the capacity data, some more grot around the hatches and some freehand graffiti :O

Cheers

Dan

post-9070-0-41730300-1331478820_thumb.jpg

Although I've not tried it yet, its definitely on my to do list. I found this technique on The rustbucket forum http://theweatheringshop.com/home.html (You need to register to get into the forum) But the technique involves using a dremel drill with rotary disc held underneath a hopper roughly in the wheel wells and then you bring a piece of card with a little paint up to the spinning disc which should with a little practice replicate a wheel spray pattern.

As the poster uses photobucket here's a link to a couple of photos

http://i545.photobuc...WheelSpray3.jpg

Dave

Dave, not that you would ever know this, but that hopper you refer to belongs to me. The MKT423 cement hopper I have just completed belongs to the guy working with the Dremel in the pic you suggested looking at. Never met him, just an exchange thing us guys do from time to time over here.

In the words of Michael Cane "notta lotta people know that"

Cheers, Tony

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few covered hoppers photographed in Florida in 1995. The Pillsbury one taken at Wildwood whilst the ex Chessie one taken at Fort Myers.

Both have been modelled but I dont seem to have any photos of them. Will have to get the camera out tonight!

Ian

post-1557-0-25069100-1331814424_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-17601900-1331814542_thumb.jpg

So job done finally with tag, rust scratches and minor patching added

On with the next project.........

P.S. for anyone going to Ally Pally on Sunday I'll be on the NMRA stand on and off so stop by and say hello!

post-9070-0-67791200-1332253734_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

post-10143-0-67402600-1342033559_thumb.jpgHi all,

Attached is an image of a SOO 3 bay hopper that I've recently weathered using dry powders. Weathering is new to me and apart from a couple of CP/CN boxcars I've posted on a recent thread this has been my most "daring", quite pleased with the result for a first timer but would appreciate any tips etc.

Regards,

Andy

Dave

Nice work!

Not sure if you work from proto photos but when you get to doing the hopper gates and under frame but it's worth checking it the patten dirt collects around around the silo bottoms. Another weathering feature on covered hoppers are the vertical streaks on the inner ends from dirt being throw up by the outer axles on each truck.

For the truck weathering check out Tony Sissons tip of roughing up the frames with a fibreglass pen before painting

Dan

Archived