Spokane Portland and Seattle Railway

alcoRS1

This is it, my layout, a Spokane Portland and Seattle railway scene based around a small industrial area. The layout is basically a roundy round, accept the bottom part is really a hidden 5 track staging area.

I chosen the SP&S who were based locally around here, but are now part of the great BNSF. My time frame is 1960's, early 70's. Road names that were common where SP&S, UP, NP, GN, SP and every now and then CNW, MILW and DRGW. This should keep me busy. I love tank cars, military trains, and ALCO RS-1, RS-2, RS-3, dam it all alco RS's and GP 7 and 9's.

my gallery can be found gallery

but here is some of them worth showing here

med_gallery_6841_102_338915.jpg

med_gallery_6841_102_346662.jpg

med_gallery_6841_102_203956.jpg

track plan can be seen in the gallery.

Hi there,

Thanks for posting these, it looks an interesting layout that is coming along nicely - love your RS's and your Rio Grande F-M!

Very nice "Gulf" tank wagons too - i've never seen them before, may i ask whose they are please?

Cheers,

John E.

The Gulf tank cars are made by walthers, they are cheap, $10 each, I pick them of eBay. they have been some of the best running trucks I have ever had too.

the Alcos RS-1 is an Atlas, No 50 I painted myself, seeing they have not produced SP&S RS-1 for a while, but I found #54 last saturday and had to purchase it. The Alco H15-44 is also Atlas. The other SP&S is a Alco RS-2, also made by atlas.

I have 7 alcos so far, and planning on a few more, Where I live there is only one Alco left, it on the end of the county line part of a preservation line.

Where's that...? I've only seen the one in Snoqualmie.

I have a couple of SP&S boxcars, as i'm rather partial to boxcars from the Pacific Northwest:

post-6819-12555496190921_thumb.jpg

post-6819-12555497066821_thumb.jpg

gallery_6841_102_23920.jpg added a small port scene in one corner, I will snap a shot latter tonight for an update on progress, coming a long slowly, My parents fly out from Manchester next week and I want the layout to be fully operational before he arrive.

Here is the start of the second level that hides the staging area, it will have a small industrial switcher GE 25 toner, and a RDC passenger, it will be a city scene with them both running in the streets.

med_gallery_6841_102_341224.jpg

this is a shot looking the other way

med_gallery_6841_102_206209.jpg

In the photo above, you can see the NP Alco RS-11 (yellow and black). This is an Atlas/kato loco from the 80's, somebody gave it to me to help them install decoders. it was very noisy, would buzz and screech, I lube the motor, now it runs so quite, there is a little rattle to fix, but it is not loud, only on curves, and I know I can fix it. today I am happy :D.

I also found some good elastic bands for my Budd RDC, that will work on the raised commuter line I am putting in.

a little update,

with my dad arriving on Thursday from Manchester, I been spending time on his Walters F40 unit, painting and decal into a caltrain loco, I put this off, but tonight made great progress in getting it ready.

Here are a few more pictures,

Alco RS-11 NP, 910, used to be a noisy runner, now smooth running.post-6841-12565392231787_thumb.jpg The other is my own painted Atlas RS-1 SP&S, number 50 with a small cut of box cars. post-6841-12565392326385_thumb.jpg

2nd level is coming along, this will have a city street running RDC and small industrial switcher, GE 25toner.

I been working out my industries for my layout.

top level

Passenger, 3 stations (1 RDC)

small food switching from plant to store, (receives box car).

lower level,

USN dock (flats with equipment, box car, fuel)

concrete unload facility (2 cover hopper)

USArmy rail head (flat cars, box cars, fuel)

Grain and food processing plant (cover hoppers)

Oil terminal (tank cars)

small engine and RIP facility (locos sand hopper, fuel).

furniture manufacture (lumber flat, box car)

scrap metal (gondolas)

toy factory (bulk plastic hoppers, box car)

textiles (box cars)

furniture (box cars)

appliance warehouse (box cars)

This will give me lots of switching, and plenty of action.

SP&S ALCO RS2 number 60 spots a box car at the textile factory. (P1K RS2).

Started adding some of the industrial building to my layout, I am using some Photographed building printed to scale from KingMill Enterprises LLC, they are cheap, and I am limited in space, against the back drop. The next building are a little more 3D.

I still need to add the background behind these, but that is TBD, the time of the year is November, so the back drop needs to be repainted into rainy day sky.

post-6841-12569707874434_thumb.jpg

post-6841-12569708027616_thumb.jpg

Things are moving slowly, hoping to have one of my 4 sections finished with switch motors this week, most are going to be Tortoise motors, but I have a few Peco, I might try to convert to atlas, the Peco, in the UK are over half the price cheaper.

Proto PK1 Budd RDC NP, with sound

post-6841-12572290814575_thumb.jpg

Proto PK2 Alco S1 made into US Army switcher, thinking of remaking it into an SP&S.

post-6841-12572290935654_thumb.jpg

Atlas RS-1 SP&S road switch.

post-6841-12572291062092_thumb.jpg

Started to install switch motors, I am mostly using tortoise motors, unless I can find away to adapt the peco switch motors to atlas switches. Also looking for information on how to wire LEDs with the switches.

I don't know what kind of budget people have for their layouts but mine is about $75 - $100 a month, so I am trying to do things a cheaply as possible, but without compromising. I been doing buildings from scale photos, it is a lot cheaper than plastic kits. This leaves more money for switch motors which are costing me a little bundle at the moment, I have over 30 switches total and on 10 motors so far.

here is some of the building so far. post-6841-12574907625141_thumb.jpg

post-6841-1257490786927_thumb.jpg

tomorrow I will add a roof and chimneys vents etc.

• Like 1

Atlas Alco RS-1 SP&S Number 54, waits after delivering cut of box cars.

post-6841-12578387950764_thumb.jpg

Atlas Alco SP&S RS-1 Number 50 passing RS-1 Number 54 on the way to the yard, with a small cut of boxcars.

post-6841-12578387972019_thumb.jpg

SP&S Number 54, Alco RS-1, just delivered 2 box cars to the Appliance warehouse.

post-6841-12578387995419_thumb.jpg

tonight I have been trying to solve some loco problems, number 54, an atlas RS-1 at slow speeds in one direction jerks at lot, but runs smooth in the other direction.