Spokane Portland and Seattle Railway

alcoRS1

It certainly is... can you give us a bit more description of what you've done, Warren, as the photos jump from what looks like a rather lumpy mess, to very nice ashphalt :blink: . Can you describe the technique for us...? :)

it really does not matter what you use a base, it is in the painting the makes it. The road in this layout is made using woodland scenic smooth it. sand it smooth, filled some holes. I found a better method of using thin foam sheets, then paint them, using the airbrush. Originally I painted it woodland scenic asphalt but it did not look real enough. I then painted it gray using a latex paint from the the paint store, this was to light, so I got my air brush out and blended UP Armor mist, and gray under primer, with a hint of bunt umber and black.

the sidewalk is made from foam sheets cut and scored to create the details, then painted and installed. I made the lines my using white and yellow pine stripes, next time, I will mask and paint instead. To weather the road I used a airbrush with indian ink thinned down with 91% alcohol. I also mixed a small watered down rail brown with 91% and sprayed to make it look dirty. The drains and man holes are stickers, I found at the local hobby store, but to be honest, it would be easier to print and glue some.

• 9 years later...

It has been many years since I have modeled, Railways. I got sucked into Warhammer 40K and that is a bad place to go. 40K has increased my painting skills, I became a great painter.

I still have my 14ftx2ft sections (1 on top of the other). I am planning on reviving one of them. The lower one has some high end 1999 high powered UNIX workstations.  

Does anybody know looking at my prior posts, what track CAD I used?