8ft x 2ft Late 90's layout based on Hull EWS Train Office

Lukasz

So I've been away from the hobby for a while after converting the garage which was my workroom (playing room) and after a few months of arm chair modelling I have a come up with a plan that won't come into any sort of progress for another few months.
The plan is to model a shortened version of the run round loop at the EWS train office in Hull.
It features various traffic with steel from the bay and of course the acetic acid and other commodities. With use of a bit of imagination a small rail served business can be placed at the top based on a very small version of the one at Ely Potters Group.
Then if I push my luck and suggest that other trains come down the line to use the run round loop I can have a varied amount of trains. At the time the acid trains were pulled by various traction such as 37's predominantly, 47's occasionally, 56's and later in the period the dreaded 66's.
There was 60's around Hull at the time with the Hull Dairycoates train and I am suggesting it ran through here.

But anyway enough waffling I'd like to know what ground signals would need to be used here.
Trains would wait in the bottom loop if they were early while the driver had a cup of tea or if another
train was further down the line. An image of a train waiting at the office can be found here
http://tonybuckton.smugmug.com/Trains/Class-37s-through-the-ages/19859199_MJh6mX#!i=1604653367&k=hh6g76R&lb=1&s=O

gallery_8060_615_3825.jpg

Any help gratefully received,

cheers,
Lukasz

Yes the trains do tend to be quite short and the longer trains I'm modelling are through trains as such.

I planned for the trains running into the yard to be quite short anyway, Only a small handful of VAA/BA/DA and maybe a couple of BDA.

Ahh right, I was planning on modelling through trains but as the line is freight only then not needing any signalling will make it a whole lot easier.

thanks for the help,

Lukasz

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving this :-) True inspiration indeed, thanks. I'm planning a 15" x 8ft layout myself on two 4ft baseboards I recently acquired. Just not sure weather to join them end-to-end or in a "L" shape. The "L" would allow me to use the Metcalfe brewery I just finished (tip of the hat to a local industry sadly bought and closed by Greene King). This can be placed in the corner.

Great photo - how modellable is that?! Just cut the baseboard behind the fences each side :)

Only comment on the trackplan - it's a bit straight (tracks parallel to baseboard edge). I'm not familiar with the prototype, but a gentle curve might make it more visually interesting...?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Mick - I'll save the 60's I have for another project then. thanks. And that trackplan is fantastic. A lot easier to get a idea of space for the area than looking on google maps.

Dave - The baseboards may well be widened to 2ft so I can incorporate a little curve but the prototype is quite straight as it is. The track at the back is fictional so I will probably curve that a bit.

cheers,

Lukasz

• 10 months later...

Just to revise this. After a good few months away from the hobby I have revised the trackplan and come up with this with some extra space to play with. I think its a neater plan than the first and less cramped. I was going to go down the route of virtual quarry but that would need to have some form of loading. So I looked instead at the wagon repair facility much like the one at tees yard. It seemed like a more interesting prospect which would bring a more varied rolling stock. Bearing in mind the location of Hull and trying to keep similar to the Hull King George Dock EWS Train Office, there is a variety of wagons and locomotive power in my chosen modelling period of 99 to 03. Not too sure which scenic break to go for on the left and haven't even begin to think about the one the right. Just looking for any opinions on whether you feel the plan makes sense both operationally and visually.

gallery_8060_615_25714.jpg

gallery_8060_615_29750.jpg

As previously this project isn't happening any time soon.

cheers,

Lukasz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking good. A wagon works should give you no end of variety or excuses as to which wagons you use. At least you will be able to legitimately run empty open wagons on and off the layout without worrying about loading/unloading on site, such as coal wagons?!

Look forward to seeing more on this in future.

Archived