Norfolk Southern Heritage Locomotives

Pete Piszczek

• RMweb Gold

That is absolutely stunning.

Despite the organisational difficulties, I wonder how often there will be a family reunion in the future.

Despite the organisational difficulties, I wonder how often there will be a family reunion in the future.

I believe the CEO of NS said that this is probably it.

They can only get away with it during the annual summer coal mine shutdown when there is a surplus of motive power. Maybe ticket sales will justify supporting the cost again, you could conceivably a get a repeat next summer with another museum in a different geographical area. If another family portrait was undertaken in the northeast, and it fell on a Friday/Saturday instead of mid-week like this event, you could generate a lot of revenue at $30-50 a head...

That is a stunning family portrait!

Going to head over in a little bit...about two hours west of here. Expect it to be stinkin' hot and humid. Have heard yesterday was wall to wall foamers...pack'd like sardines in places.

Horror stories I was told from Tuesday. They did not start moving the units out of the roundhouse till afternoon and the heat was brutal...

Much nicer this morning, they had the first units moving just after 8 AM. I was told the crowds were smaller too, although there were still way too many elbows... ;)

I got over to Spencer around noon (125 miles west of here)...my primary purpose was to man the Penn Central HS table. But I did take some photos - a few with my cell, and more with a *gasp* film camera. Brother Pete P said he was coming down from Virginia to take pix so I'll let him post those. I'll just put up this one of the Virginian on the turntable I snapped with my mobile/cell.

post-751-0-01700100-1341448131_thumb.jpg

I too heard that yesterday the move-out was a bit delayed. Evidently this was to make certain that the engines were the appropriate background for NS's CEO to make his speech at 11 am...he approved the project so I suppose I'm OK with that...they said that yesterday evening's photo session went pretty well and that this AM went very well. Crowds today were half of what they were yesterday I was told. When they put the engines back on the roundhouse leads today they'd pull the loco onto the turntable, then spin it around three or four times for folks to photograph. This was done at 2 pm so the sun was dead overhead...not the best for photos but I think they'll be pulling them back out again this evening for more photography opportunities. Apart from the mess yesterday morning I heard zero complaints...met many friends who were also there yesterday and would have kvetched and they didn't. Actually I did hear one common complaint: "It's $^&@#%$^@# hot..." Temperature in the upper 90s F (36-37 degC) and stifling humidity...but as Pete will attest that's summer in North Carolina. Doesn't make it nice though...ugh.

A comment I kept hearing from my railfan friends went something like, "I cannot believe what I'm seeing here..." In the flesh the engines are simply stunning. There's no other way to put it. Stunning. They're brilliant. Striking. And so well done. The photos don't do them justice. NS truly did these right.

They also made me realize that modern liveries are, well, kind of boring...

Sorry I missed you Craig. There were other folks there too, that I knew, and we never crossed paths. There were a lot of hats covering heads...

That N&W blue was striking, even if it was a dip job...

post-41-0-01709800-1341489170_thumb.jpg

Did someone say the event was like a concert? A shot at 11PM Tues night after most had gone home...

post-41-0-19706600-1341489171_thumb.jpg

My favorites, they managed to make it back to the roundhouse, well before the rest of the locos...

post-41-0-74744300-1341489172_thumb.jpg

That Illinois Terminal unit is radioactive. It is painted in the same green stuff that the toxic avenger stepped in. You park it next to any unit, and it's neighbor has a color shift.

post-41-0-11069800-1341489174_thumb.jpg

This really was something special, the colors were simply astounding! Many thanks to the NCTM and NS volunteers for making this happen.

Archived