Hornby Class 09 problems...

Sulzer

Hi,

I have a Hornby Class 09 (a resprayed 08) and since I got it It's been a terrible runner. The motor is 110% perfect, it's the transmission that's the problem. I think one of the gears is chewed judging by the noise it's making and the fact that it keeps stalling every so often so that the motor is going but the loco isn't going anywhere...

If I can get a spare gear, how easy is it to take the loco apart to see which part needs replaced?

HELP! :help:

Cheers,

Calum.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be a nuisance here but although you said the motor was "110%" but if I were you - I'd start by removing it (or simply de-meshing it from the rest of the drive train) and test it with no load. If it really has a problem, you'll soon notice this. Clean the armature and brushes with Isopropyl alcohol. If the grinding noise re-appears once the motor is re-meshed with the rest of the gear train, inspect all the gears with a loupe or magnifying glass - I've known a tiny piece of ballast sitting deep inside a gear tooth (and not easily seen) cause all manner of issues. Hope this helps

G

Archived