Ye Olde Triang/Hornby R118 Bogie Well Wagon

9 minutes ago, rovex said:

I've put a bid on Ebay for a triang r242 12 wheel well wagon.

Can anyone tell me about this wagon. Does it actually exist as s prototype?

Thanks

Rovex

Yes it is real but the model has been shortened and a full length one can be created using parts from another one or two full length from three Triang ones!

Mark Saunders 

• Like 1

I was going to lengthen mine, but I found it wasn't quite as straightforward as I thought. Odd bits don't match up properly.... I decided (for now at least) to leave well alone and just do a repaint.

• 2 years later...
On 18/02/2012 at 01:41, John M Upton said:

Hello

I have one of the really ancient Triang/Hornby R118 bogie well wagons sitting on my workbench and rather than chuck it in the scrap bin, it is going to get a cheap as chips makeover.

Can anyone tell me on what prototype (if any) it is based or whether it was one of Triang's genric jobbies? Also when were these last made?

I have always rather liked them to be honest, there is something about the simplicity of the model that with a bit of work will still look reasonably decent even today.

Many thanks!

I may stand corrected but in resurrecting my train layout (or in the process that is) I've unboxed (the original box that is) my Tri and R118 can with a small blue tractor crane as per this pic

20210904_140609.jpg

I'm no expert, but I believe that it was inspired by an actual plate steel carrier, see https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co207634/trestol-well-wagon-railway-wagon It is part of the NRM collection and was, and may still be, on loan to the East Lancs Railway https://www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/east-lancashire-railway-wagon-stocklist-september-2019.pdf

Pictures of the BR 6 wheeled bogied Trestrol EC seem to be hard to find, https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p895983931-3.jpg from the Paul Bartlett collection. The 4 wheeled Trestrol AO seems to be more common in the photographic records.

But the Triang one will be a compromise because of the need for it to go round 1st radius curves.

Even worse 13½" radius!

The Tri-ang model is indeed inspired by a real wagon - the 55T trestle trolley Dia. 681 TRESTROL EC. This is 71 ft over buffers, so needed to be reduced in length to avoid an enormous overhang, though the real one has a minimum radius of 70 feet. This would be dead slow of course, not the150mph of a Tri-ang locomotive....

The Minic crane is highly collectible, especially in this condition and with the box, so I would leave this one well alone. The wagon itself is common enough to easily find one to modify though. I think this is based on an LMS prototype, but could be wrong on this.

Edited by Il Grifone

I think there is cross referencing here, the OP appears to be asking about the sort of weltrol on 6 wheel bogies, which were Trestrol.

This is different to the 4 wheel bogie Weltrol illustrated by Stuart. I've looked hard at the various prototype 4 wheel bogie Weltrols and Flatrols but not found one which matches (or near matches) the general dimensions of the Tri-ang version. 

Our club has a very early  R118 for sale - it has strangely small bogies, unlike the one I have which is early enough to have had open axleboxes and the type of couplings which is also an open structure (not encircled like the one visible in the photo above in Stuart's photo. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

40 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

I have the blueprint for the real thing and the Triang version is far too short, I picked up two and joined them together.

I think you mean a) you have a diagram, not a blueprint, and b) are talking about the 12 wheel  Trestrol, (that has already been discussed at some length as being too short) and not about the R118 8 wheel trestrol, please can you be a bit more specific, and read through the existing posts before adding this sort of comment.

7 minutes ago, 26power said:

Willing to tell or show us more?!

but if you do, and it is the 12 wheel trestrol, please do it on one of the existing Trestrol threads, or on a new one, not this thread, which is already quite confused enough (yes I know I have added to the confusion....)

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Agree 2

Again it's too short (having lost a section of girder in the well), but could be a possible cut and shut from two examples (or even two from three, but this depends on how many well wagons you need. They weren't all that common).

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

If it is a blueprint, then check dimensions against the drawing. They are prone to shrinking and stretching. Those in the drawing office that my father worked in had 'DO NOT SCALE' printed on the bottom-centre of the page.

it says 33' 0" , which is 132mm in 4mm scale.  The rest of the measurements appear correct. So, I assume it must have been out there in the real world.

probably worth saying thats a Skinley drawing which was drawn for modellers, not by the owning railway company, and they can be a bit variable in accuracy. It is a 'blueprint' in the sense that it has been copied that way, as a predecessor technology to 'photocopy' or 'scan', describing the way it has been copied, rather than the authenticity of the source document.

jon

• Agree 2

On 08/09/2021 at 16:45, jonhall said:

I think you mean a) you have a diagram, not a blueprint, and b) are talking about the 12 wheel  Trestrol, (that has already been discussed at some length as being too short) and not about the R118 8 wheel trestrol, please can you be a bit more specific, and read through the existing posts before adding this sort of comment.

but if you do, and it is the 12 wheel trestrol, please do it on one of the existing Trestrol threads, or on a new one, not this thread, which is already quite confused enough (yes I know I have added to the confusion....)

Jon

If stretching the 12-wheeled TRESTROL, don't overlook the fact that the wheelbase of the bogies needs adjusting, as well as the length of the body.

CJI.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If stretching the 12-wheeled TRESTROL, don't overlook the fact that the wheelbase of the bogies needs adjusting, as well as the length of the body.

CJI.

Another reason I gave up on the conversion!

All drawings are liable to shrinkage/expansion (assuming they were correctly to scale in the first  place). Models should be sized from dimensions where possible.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 2