Hornby GWR Railcar

Saint Johnstoun

post-4551-0-14756400-1329657097_thumb.jpgI have already produced the basis of converted single car W33 (fairly easy) and propose carving up another single car to produce W38 - I have a spare body to add bits for this if necessary but all being well I may even manage to get W37 as well if I am clever.

It will mean some carefully cutting and filling of the bodysides but looking at my self produced drawings (anybody wanting a set please email me) it should be possible. My plan is to cut along the cantrail at the top and fill when bodysides are rearranged.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Worsley Works now produce an etched bodykit for the twins that may help.

http://www.worsleywo...4mm/4mm_GWR.htm

Mike Wiltshire

If that is the full kit, just needing motorising, I think that is quite good value. Given a Comet kit is £50, which I also dont have a problem with that sort of price for the quality of the model

Has anyone built a Worsley kit? - what are they like?

I've built a couple of Worsley Works kits (see my 'workbench' and my 'blogger' in my signature). Both were narrow gauge models. Decent quality of brass, and well etched. You don't get instructions, but the kits are usually very well thought out and quite logical, with half etched score lines on curved edges to get a nice radius nice and easily. You just need to take your time, have some basic tools (I just have a 25W iron, some files, a fibreglass pencil and use Carrs 145deg solder and green flux for easy flowing solid joins.

The advantage of these in brass is the flush glazing... I remember Monty Wells' one in MRJ - inspiring, but he did go crazy and cut individual pieces of glazing for each pane to get the same effect!

Rich I have a vague recollection that Monty found differences in the dimensions of each frame which made it even worse - but in general yes, laser cut glazing has largely got over the problem of over thick plastic bodyshells.

Even the new Hornby 08 suffers from different size window apertures and that is a 'modern' model by comparison.

Is the current Hornby DCC GWR railcar a hard-wirded chip, or a socket? One of my fellow club members wants a non-DCC Crimson/cream one, but can only find the DCC fitted examples and was wondering how easy they would be to return to DC

Thanks,

Jon

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping that people who have built models of the Razor Railcars may know an answer to this question...

If you look at the picture of the Hornby railcar above (Entry # 3), then please look at the brake end of the roof.  As well as the 4 shell vents, you can also see 2 large circular vents above the Brake End.  What are these vents for ? and which members of the class needed them ?

I have been looking at photographs of the real things and I have not found one that shows these two vents on the roof, but there are very few pictures of the roofs of any railway item, not just the Razors.

Ever hopeful...

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping that people who have built models of the Razor Railcars may know an answer to this question...

If you look at the picture of the Hornby railcar above (Entry # 3), then please look at the brake end of the roof.  As well as the 4 shell vents, you can also see 2 large circular vents above the Brake End.  What are these vents for ? and which members of the class needed them ?

I have been looking at photographs of the real things and I have not found one that shows these two vents on the roof, but there are very few pictures of the roofs of any railway item, not just the Razors.

Ever hopeful...

I expect these are related to the dreaded heating boilers, which, on these cars were prone to erupt in flames. (CJL)

I've had another look for images and this time used W22W as the Google search term, which revealed some shots on Flickr, which confirm that W22W did / does have these vents.

(I still don't know if the Hornby orientation of the vent is is correct though !  

Reminds me of my first Ian Kirk 4mm coaches which used Torpedo vents. How was I to know, at the age of 12, that the vents went perpendicular to the direction of travel as opposed to in-line, they're called Torpedoes !)

Thanks for the info.

Having checked the text on these the vents do correspond with position of the steam heating generator witin the railcars

From memory one car of a two-car set was destroyed by a steam heating boiler fire, at St Philip's Marsh, I think. The last of the single cars (W33) was then rebuilt with a gangwayed end to replace it, but as it was a modification, not a new build, it differed slightly from the original car. This might make it an easier conversion from the Hornby model. If you can find one, the Westward white metal kit which mounted on a Lima chassis, makes a very nice two-car unit. I have one which Stewart Hine modified with an underfloor drive. It was beautifully made in response to an article I wrote in the 1980s, suggesting it was about time we had a DMU with an underfloor drive. When Realtrack's 156 arrives we'll finally have one - about 33 years later! (CJL)

Archived