Belfast Great Victoria Street Station and Adelaide-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

Great photos Jawfin,thanks for posting.The E class never made it North,but the A and C class loco's were still in regular use along with the B classes.As a matter of interest,where were these  photos taken? I am still in the middle of doing an A class which I was going to paint in black n tan,but the all black livery is growing on me!

A couple more photos taken from the layout.The photo below is of a common site from the early 70s,a top and tailed NIR Hunslet Enterprise with 102 Falcon leading and 103 Merlin bring up the rear.Sister loco 101 Eagle heads in the opposite direction with a PW train while in the freight yard,2 CIE 141 class loco's can be seen,B165 waiting for the line to clear to take a freight to Dundalk with sister loco B188 making up her train for later.gallery_1918_2005_135628.jpg

The next photo shows the 3 NIR Hunslets at work individually,a view not recorded muck in real life.Again 102 Falcon is in charge of the Enterprise,101 Eagle is still doing PW work while 103 Merlin idles in the headshunt .A CIE 141 class shunts some cement bubbles in the freight yard.gallery_1918_2005_229980.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102
  • Like 6

Great photos Jawfin,thanks for posting.The E class never made it North,but the A and C class loco's were still in regular use along with the B classes.As a matter of interest,where were these photos taken? I am still in the middle of doing an A class which I was going to paint in black n tan,but the all black livery is growing on me!

Thanks. They were both taken at Downpatrick during shunting

I think all-black was freight

Edited by Jawfin
  • Like 1

Thanks Jawfin,I assume you are a volunteer at Downpatrick? I am not sure what the wheel configuration of the E class is.I know you have a couple at Downpatrick,are all six wheels powered or are the back two unpowered,a bit like the trailing wheels on a steam engine? 

I can fill in on the E Class from Doyle and Hirsch, Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE and NIR, 1st ed, 1979:

Number series 421-434

Introduced 1961

Weight 42t 16cwt

Max Tractive Effort 23,940lbs

Wheel Arrangement C

Driving Wheel Diameter 3'2"

Max speed 25mph

Length 31'4 1/4"

Engine Maybach MD220

420 hp gross, 400 hp traction

Hydraulic transmission.

I read somewhere else that their speed was limited to 25mph after an accident.

I think the all black livery was just the black and tan with the orange blacked out for engines that were, as you say, only or mainly used for freight.

Alan

• Like 1

I can fill in on the E Class from Doyle and Hirsch, Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE and NIR, 1st ed, 1979:Number series 421-434Introduced 1961Weight 42t 16cwtMax Tractive Effort 23,940lbsWheel Arrangement CDriving Wheel Diameter 3'2"Max speed 25mphLength 31'4 1/4"Engine Maybach MD220420 hp gross, 400 hp tractionHydraulic transmission.I read somewhere else that their speed was limited to 25mph after an accident.I think the all black livery was just the black and tan with the orange blacked out for engines that were, as you say, only or mainly used for freight.Alan

Thanks Alan.

Yes, E421 had a bad accident due to the unbalanced wheel arrangement.

Edited by Jawfin

A few more photo's from the layout showing a face of the railway that has changed forever.The 2 photo's below show an NIR weedkilling crew at work,no high viz vests or HSE shackles here!!

gallery_1918_2005_69227.jpggallery_1918_2005_148883.jpg

The following 2 photo's show the full weedkilling train with an NIR DH loco in charge.This train actually ran like this back in the early 70s,mainly on the single line between Lisburn and Antrim.

gallery_1918_2005_139875.jpggallery_1918_2005_168020.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice little shunter things.

Haven't thy been exported to Sri Lanka or something quite recently?

There were 3 DH locomotives in total and at first,after withdrawal,they were all preserved by the Irish Traction Group.2 did end up back in revenue service in Sri Lanka while the 3rd ended up in Wales but was out of service. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. It was better to let them go than the ITG keeping them, as they were unable to use them at all.

Speaking of 4 ft 8, did you know that an 80 class is preserved mainly for spares at the East Lancs? Any info about its future?

I had heard somewhere that Downpatrick were looking at trying to preserve an 80 class,but dont know if that was just a rumour or wishful thinking.As these railcars were the workhorse of NIR for 30 years,it would be a shame and a travisity if one was not preserved.

Shame that the DH shunters were not preserved after all 3 had originally gone for preservation,but diesels dont seem to have the same appeal as steam for preservation,although in my mind they are as equal in our heritage as any steamer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard somewhere that Downpatrick were looking at trying to preserve an 80 class,but dont know if that was just a rumour or wishful thinking.As these railcars were the workhorse of NIR for 30 years,it would be a shame and a travisity if one was not preserved.

Shame that the DH shunters were not preserved after all 3 had originally gone for preservation,but diesels dont seem to have the same appeal as steam for preservation,although in my mind they are as equal in our heritage as any steamer.

I thinks it's both

Edited by Jawfin

• RMweb Gold

Links are allowed. Use the link tool just below the font size button.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91226084@N05/8479665608/in/photostream/

It would be nice to see a full 80 class (in maroon & blue?) livery as well as the pile of spares.

Edit for typo

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first work on the layout for a long time has just been started and a couple of photo's are attached below.The station area has been ballasted,with a mixture of grey and brown ballast that was then dry brushed with ground down charcoal.The platform surfaces were also dry brushed with charcoal to achieve that well used look.Great Victoria Street in the 70s coming towards the end of its time was a murky place,with the ballast and sleepers particularly covered in grime.The whole area still has to be soaked in a pva/water solution,which hopefully will be done over the weekend.

gallery_1918_2005_40463.jpggallery_1918_2005_531403.jpg

• Like 3

I love that model of platform 1. The model really captures the platform and the short canopy as I remember it.

Thanks Colin,that is my aim of the lookalike tribute,to give a feel of how the station looked without it being an identical replica,which would be impossible with the space I have available.

It has been a while since I have done any work on the layout,mainly because I knew I had to do the ballasting first before I could make any other progress,so decided to take the bull by the horns over the holiday weekend to enable me to get on with the rest of the station.

Having laid and sprayed the ballast with pva/water,after setting it was necessary to test the area with some train movement to ensure everything was still working ok.Below are a few photo's from the test run.

gallery_1918_2005_474766.jpg

The above photo shows the DH shunter removing a couple of brown vans from the rear of a recently arrived AEC railcar set in platform 4.Platform 3 has a BUT set while on platform 2 the Hunslet waits for clearance to go to the sheds having arrived with the Enterprise,coaches have already been removed to the carriage sidings.An MED railcar waits in platform 1 to depart with an all stations to Lisburn service.

gallery_1918_2005_406651.jpgThe above photo shows a close-up of the AEC and BUT railcars that shows the differences between these sets.The AEC railcar has still to be completed.

gallery_1918_2005_578621.jpgThe above photo shows the Hunslet makings its way to the shed,with the MED ready to depart also.A couple of CIE craven coaches along with the NIR weedkiller wagon occupy the sidings.

Andy

• Like 3

• 2 months later...