Belfast Great Victoria Street Station and Adelaide-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

Thanks Colin,I have seen that photo before,but it is good to have it on the thread for quick reference.The rain water on the platforms show how badly damaged the roof was,but along with that photo and a few others that I have,there was still quite a few panes of glass still intact.The other clear thing from the photo is how grimey the track was,think I will need to add more charcoal to my tracks,I thought I had overdone it a bit but obviously not.No great hurry for your own photo's,my rate of progress is slow to virtually stop at the moment,but hopefully will get a bit more time on the layout and update the thread soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The following few pics show the changing face on Northern Ireland railways in 1970.Brand new Hunslet 102 Falcon is pushing the new Enterprise train towards Dublin,is seen passing an ex UTA Jeep,now under NIR ownership.The Jeep is a rare visitor to the GNR section,having worked round from York Road via the Antrim branch with an Engineers train.While the Hunslet would be on the Enterprise service for the next 10 years,the Jeeps were at the end of their careers and would be out of service within a few months.Loose coupled CIE wagons are in the siding beside the main lines,awaiting collection back to Dundalk.

gallery_1918_2005_133552.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_169954.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_366402.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently nearly finished my B101 class locomotive and the weedkilling train,it had to get a run out on the layout as the weeds (cobwebs!)had taken a bit of control.The photo below shows B101 class No B105 at the head of the weedkilling train from the early 70s and it was a right motley assortment of ancient wagons.The weedkilling train belonged to CIE,but usually done the NIR network during June each year.Normally NIR would have provided the motive power,with the changeover of locomotives happening at Portadown,but sometimes the CIE locomotives worked the entire NIR network.The B101 class were a rare visitor to the north,they certainly got as far as Portadown,but no recordings of them further than that have come to light.

gallery_1918_2005_247571.jpg

The following photo shows the other side of the weedkilling train,passing a couple of B141/B181 locomotives.One is in charge of the CIE Enterprise with Cravens and laminate type coaches while the other is in the headshunt sorting some loose coupled wagons.Although this is a scene on Northern Ireland railways,it would also be a scene seen all over Ireland in the early 70s.

gallery_1918_2005_135276.jpg

• Like 6

Finally got round to doing some work on Great Victoria Street station,having recently been concentrating on the rolling stock.The following 2 pictures are a couple of different angles of the area of the station directly behind platforms 2 and 3.The customs hall is directly behind the buffers of platform 2 and yes it was in the very bright (some say vile) white and yellow panels.When the Enterprise was in the platform,the large yellow doors would be open for customs checks,but would be closed and the side entrance gate would be opened for local trains using platform 2.On the concourse between platforms 3 and 4,the small sloping corrugated roof can be seen,with the entrance kiosk in the background.A ticket collector on the platform,plus one in the kiosk along with some passengers have been added just now,because once the overall roof is done,the only way to view any of this area will be from eye level from the platforms.

gallery_1918_2005_363648.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_413990.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the comments and to all those who have liked the various recent photo's.Colin,I will see about adding a portly ticket collector,I am sure there will be one somewhere.I am afraid I didn't know Jimmy Briggs,but I will ask Jim Edger,who knows,he may even have a photo of him,as Jim has supplied me with many photos from in and around the station area that have helped me with the model to date.Look forward to seeing some of your photos also,it is great when I can compare photos from different angles,it helps greatly when starting a project.

I'm going to GVS tomorrow trainspotting with,"the gang," tomorrow, so will take pics and will pm them to you if you want.

Thanks Jawfin,unfortunately there is not much of the old GVSt station left,the new station has eliminated virtually it all.The only part left of any interest for my era is the Boyne bridge,which has not changed too much.Colin has already posted quite a few photos of the bridge on the thread,so if you view them before taking any photos and if you feel you can add anything to them then that would be great.Thanks for your offer.

Andy

• Like 1

Jim Edgar will definitely remember him and may also have a picture of Jimmy and Bert Swanton, an elderly enthusiast who hung around the GVS barrier in the late 60s

Yes Jim certainly remembers Jimmy and Bert.He actually related a superb but funny story about Bert that he thinks you will remember,if you wish,I will forward his email to me via a pm to you,I am sure it will bring back some memories for you.He reckons you will remember Bert from the Donegall Road library layout and that he had a great 3 rail layout of his own.Let me know if you want me to forward it on to you.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Just a short update of a little bit more progress with the station.The following photo shows the column supports for the roof in place on the platforms.The supports were made from cut down and reformed wedding cake pillars with cut down Hornby canopy supports attached to the top of the columns.Strips of evergreen I beam were used to add the correct length between the beams.Next job to tackle will be the roof supports and then finally the roof,or at least the sections of the roof that still remained after the bomb damage that the station sustained in the early 70s.

gallery_1918_2005_304856.jpg

• Like 3

I did not really review the above photo of the column supports before uploading and did not realise how poor it looked.Having made a start on the roof supports over platform 2,below is a clearer photo of the column and roof supports.I have decided to paint the roof supports in situ rather prior to fitting as I done the latter with the column supports and have some touching up to do anyway.

gallery_1918_2005_862184.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have still not found my UTA pictures, but whilst looking, I came across the pictures I took on the last day of service of the old GVS. 24th April 1976.   Hope they are of use/interest.  I can send you higher resolution by message if you need any.

Colin

post-158-0-40075900-1375219596_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-33333100-1375219615_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-26791400-1375219635_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-52745000-1375219650_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-22886400-1375219674_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-74413500-1375219696_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-80325200-1375219712_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-21252600-1375219727_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Colin-Many thanks for posting those superb and nostalgic photo's,what a story they tell.Thanks for your offer of some higher resolution photo's,I would certainly be interested in some.I will study them closer over the next couple of days and pm you with what I would like.many thanks again.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Below are a few more photo's of progress with the station build.The first photo below shows the finished roof over platform 2.

gallery_1918_2005_594883.jpg

The next photo shows the same build but looking towards the customs shed from the end of platform 2.

gallery_1918_2005_562143.jpg

The final photo is again from a different angle,this time looking across from platform 4.The NIR Hunslet Enterprise set is in its usual place on platform 2,partly hidden by the custom's fence that separated platform 2 from platform 3.

gallery_1918_2005_705319.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Colin,working on the roof structure over platforms 3 and 4 at the moment along with the small island canopies,but progress has been slow.Will update the thread once some more work has been completed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to finishing the roof over platforms 3 and 4,with some missing panels at the front as was common in the early 70s from bomb damage.The first image shows an overall shot of both roofs over the platforms.

gallery_1918_2005_277900.jpg

The next image shows a view of the roof from the underside.

gallery_1918_2005_128645.jpg

The following image is a side view of the station,with an 80 class in platform 4,an MED railcar in platform 3 and the Hunslet Enterprise in platform 2,an image dating from 1974.

gallery_1918_2005_398569.jpg

The final image shows the same views as above but from the end of the platforms looking back to the customs hall and ticket barriers.

gallery_1918_2005_682200.jpg

• Like 3

You've made a Superb job of the roof, well done.

Edit: can't wait for your next updates.

Thanks Nelson,now that the main roof structure has been finished I will be starting the island canopies that were just in front of the main roofs and then the Boyne bridge there after,I should be busy over the winter months with that lot and that excludes finishing an A class,the CIE weedkilling train and an MPD railcar!!

Edited by Hunslet 102

• RMweb Gold

Hunslet102 I never did find those UTA photographs and you have finished the roof without them. Apologies for being so slow.

If they do turn up I'll post them out of interest, but I can see from your pictures this weekend that you have captured the atmosphere of the station perfectly.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

Hunslet102 I never did find those UTA photographs and you have finished the roof without them. Apologies for being so slow.

If they do turn up I'll post them out of interest, but I can see from your pictures this weekend that you have captured the atmosphere of the station perfectly.[/quote

No need for any apologies Colin,your help,advice and comments on the layout have been very helpful and greatly appreciated.To say that I have captured the atmosphere of the station perfectly from someone who knew the station well is humbling,many thanks.

Andy

Edited by Hunslet 102
  • Like 1

The following couple of photo's are taken from 1972,the first photo below has been taken from platform 4 and shows a double ended BUT railcar arriving in platform 4 with a train from Portadown.A sister BUT railcar,this time a single ended unit is in platform 3 waiting to depart with a local to Lisburn.The recently arrived CIE Enterprise set,in the hands of B class loco number B165 occupies platform 2.

gallery_1918_2005_76634.jpg                                             

The following photo is the same view,but taken from the platforms ends looking towards the damaged roofs.

gallery_1918_2005_76197.jpg

• Like 4