Belfast Great Victoria Street Station and Adelaide-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

• 1 month later...

A couple of scenes from the 60s.Both shots cover the demise of the old UTA before NIR took over and show AEC railcar 112 in UTA green just leaving the station in route to Great Victoria St,passing a Jeep with an internal goods train in Northern Ireland,something that had gone before NIR.

gallery_1918_2005_173888.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_445004.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It is always good to be able to recreate an image from your childhood and the following photo's show the DH shunter with some converted spoil wagons on ballast duty,something that was a usual occurance on a Sunday and a great way to spend your time in the days when time just whiled away at a gentle pace.

gallery_1918_2005_335913.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_516620.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_282330.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Kieran and Nelson,much appreciated. Kieran,I found the build not to bad,I took my time with them (3 in total)and really just sanded them on the underside until they sat flush on the chassis.Again,just sanding the various parts to ensure they were all flush (or flush-ish) was worth the effort to make sure the body sat well on the chassis.I actually completed the build over the Christmas holidays,they have been in limbo awaiting painting as I did not know what paint to use.Last week in B & Q, I stumbled across a small tin of duck egg blue gloss,and although I only ever paint my stock matt,it looked ok,so I got it and with the bit of weathering I think they have turned out ok.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A rebuild of the town area has had to be undertaken due to a few problems,with the result the whole area was demolished and the rebuild has commenced.Below is the progress so far,showing the new road bridge,the re-positioning of the streets and a school added.The school is a Bachmann model,but it is quite close looking to the school I used to attend in Belfast, Fane Street secondary,so thought it would be a nice model to incorporate on the layout.

gallery_1918_2005_29724.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

buses...sacrilege. Actually it's a great idea and someday I may model a UTA depot, with rusting steam locos on a siding in the background (!)    The Daimler buses were very attractive and way ahead of their time. I presume yours is an EFE/Corgi model?  I'd have liked to get one of those.but presume they were a ltd edition.

Colm Flanagan

• 2 weeks later...

buses...sacrilege. Actually it's a great idea and someday I may model a UTA depot, with rusting steam locos on a siding in the background (!)    The Daimler buses were very attractive and way ahead of their time. I presume yours is an EFE/Corgi model?  I'd have liked to get one of those.but presume they were a ltd edition.

Colm Flanagan

Thanks Colm- a UTA bus depot on your magnificent layout would really look good.With regard the Daimler buses,they are both EFE models,the one on the right is a proper EFE model that can still be found on ebay quite regularly.There is one on just now for a buy it now of £25,but when they show up for bids they don't tend to go much higher than £15-£18.The bus on the left is a repaint I done many years ago before the originals came out and will be repainted with better accuracy.

By the way,I know you run the Irish forum on here,is there any way this layout thread could be moved to the Irish section?

Hi,

I'll maybe have a look on ebay though I can't really justify a Belfast Corporation Daimler in either Coleraine or Donaghadee -possibly the latter on a seaside "special".!

As regards moving the thread, the answer is, I have no idea.  I'll try and ask Andy York who may know.

Colm

Very atmospheric picture Andy. I have a fleet of BCT Daimlers, all going to the same places, either Malone Road, or Bloomfield, but no depot as yet.

Incidently, route 16 has me a little puzzled. The only route 16 I know of, or can find any trace of, is to Dundonald. Can anybody explain why this excellent model of a Belfast Corporation Daimler bus is showing route 16 to Malone Road? Even tram route 16 did not go to Malone Road.

Correct David,route 16 was indeed Dundonald,with as said,Malone Road being route 71. The model pictured is from the Corgi range so cannot throw any light on the route on the model. It states Malone Road via Stranmillis Road,which would indicate that the bus would veer of the Malone Road unto Stranmillis Road at Queens University and rejoin the Malone Road at the junction opposite Cranmore Park. I am not aware of such a route,unless it was before my time!

As the layout rebuild continues,a rare shot of platform 1 shows AEC railcar No 111 in UTA blue/cream livery waiting to leave with an all stations to Lisburn service.The year is 1968,with in the background in platforms 2 to 4,both types of BUT railcars and a further AEC railcar are in the new NIR corporate livery of maroon/cream.These railcars,along with the Belfast Corporation red buses will not be everyones cup of tea,but they are a great reminder of my Belfast childhood memories and they are the modes of transport that I travelled regularly on back then.

gallery_1918_2005_53573.jpg

• Like 2