Belfast Great Victoria Street Station and Adelaide-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

I leave you alone on RMweb for 2 years Andy - and you go over to the dark side.

A move to the Irish forum AND ........ Buses. In my day there was only one thing worse than a DMU ....... Buses.

Seriously good modelling though. You have been cracking on at a good pace. Roof and all your wee cameo scenes look fantastic.

I will help you lobby Linda for a move out the loft to a bigger railway room. You are too lanky to be bending over in the loft for hours.

I am planning to get some spiders evicted over the coming weeks and may run my first train in over 2 years - soon.

Stuart

Och hey Stu,don't go slagging my Irish railcars and Belfast red buses,remember in my day (your day) we were locomotive starved in NI,no class 20,24,25,26,31,37,47s in my neck of the woods!

Thanks for your comments on the layout.Good to see you back posting again and thinking of getting back into your railway room,it would be good to see some more updates from Blue with yellow faces.

• 3 weeks later...

A few photo's from the layout rebuild shows the new church that has been added to the layout beside the revamped RUC station.It is a memory from my childhood,as I went to Sunday school in a single storey church that stood beside the original Lisburn Road police station,that had been turned into a fortress due to the 'troubles'. A bit like chalk and cheese,such was life in Northern Ireland at the time.

gallery_1918_2005_367392.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_42679.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_379869.jpg

• Like 1

A bit more work done on the layout rebuild,but much much more still to do! The following 2 photo's show the new third line that has been installed,which represents the third line that ran from Adelaide to the Grosvenor Road goods yard.The walls still need to be finished,with lots more in the town area to be done also.All the usual tedious stuff like ballasting will happen eventually,but the essence of the photo's give an image of how things are progressing.Anyway,the first photo shows a close up of a K15,the middle coach in a 3 car AEC railcar,leaving GVSt.Behind it is Hunslet 102 on Enterprise duty heading to its destination while sister loco 101 is shunting CIE coaching stock that had arrived earlier on a shopping special.The back of the police station can be seen above the wall.  gallery_1918_2005_391043.jpg

The next photo shows a more overall view of the AEC and Hunslets along with the signal box that will be modified to represent Belfast North signal cabin.Above the railway,the general view shows more of the police station,with the bus depot further in the background.A small glimpse of where the fire station will be located can be seen in the far background.

gallery_1918_2005_52954.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sorry Stuart,look away now for the next photo.Below are some further additions to the Belfast Corporation bus fleet,all getting ready for a days work in Belfast. All the buses represented were still in use with the Corporation until at least 1970,with quite a few transferring to Citybus in 1973.Very few red buses escaped the troubles in the 70s,the vast majority ending up being hi-jacked and burned out! Some were unlucky enough to be re-entered to service and endure the same fate!

gallery_1918_2005_29755.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Having just looked back over my layout thread,I can't believe that it was started 4 years ago! That really brings it home that progress has been slow,with still so much to do!! Thanks to all who have contributed to the thread over those years,hopefully further progress will continue to hold your interest.

• Like 3

Andy,

This is brilliant!

Aside from the trains I love the road vehicles...that's a BW Models 'Pig' I take it.

Takes me back....

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Steve. The 'Pig' is indeed a BW Models kit. I also have another 4 BW Models RUC landrovers awaiting painting,still can't seem to find the right shade of grey! Pity BW Models are no more,their range was fantastic.

Thanks Steve. The 'Pig' is indeed a BW Models kit. I also have another 4 BW Models RUC landrovers awaiting painting,still can't seem to find the right shade of grey! Pity BW Models are no more,their range was fantastic.

Hi Andy,

Some of BW Models output is being re-released, though it's mainly Land Rovers (no problem there...) to start with. A chap in the West Country is refurbishing some of the moulds and has listed his range on Military Modeller site. I'll send the details to you ASAP.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Andy,

Former BW models kits are made by: Mid Devon Models, 1The Orchard, Ham Place, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 6PW  contact via email at advisorp@btinternet.com or find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/middevonmodels.  For telephone enquiries, call. 01884 255403 or 07791 075238. These are mainly RAF models, other models were taken over by Matador Models.

I've been looking at some more of your pics and love the bus depot with the RE and exLT Swift.

Where did you get the model of Fane Street school? My Mum lived across the road from it!

Brilliant!

Steve

Edited by divibandit

Thanks Steve for all of the above info,good to know about the BW Model kits,I could do with a couple of army landrovers to go with the 'Pig'.

The model of Fane Street school is from the Bachmann Scenecraft range and I picked it up from ebay. It is a low relief model which bore a resemblance to Fane Street which I attended when it was a secondary school. I believe it is now a primary or nursery school. As in the title,most things modelled are a lookalike to the originals,a throwback to my childhood days in Belfast.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple more photo's from the layout,this time showing a couple of Belfast trolleybuses.Belfast had the largest fleet of trolleybuses in the UK outside of London and the system finally closed in 1968.A BUT trolleybus destined for Bloomfield and a Sunbeam version heading for Ormeau can be seen in the turning circle,just in front of Fane Street school,the school I attended in the mid 70s

gallery_1918_2005_565854.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_391848.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On this day, 40 years ago: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3395072

I was there. Quite a few railway enthusiasts travelled on the last train out of the old GVS. Many of us also travelled on the first train out of the new GVS many years later. NIR also arranged that the latter train consisted of the exact same 3 car 80 class set and driven by the same driver.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For the first time since Christmas, I managed to get a running session on the layout! Managed to take one photo of a quiet Great Victoria Street station, which reflects my modelling exploits over the last few months, more activity on the layout is hopefully on the horizon.

gallery_1918_2005_422393.jpg

• Like 2