Belfast Great Victoria Street Station and Adelaide-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

• RMweb Gold

Great layout Andy. Your model of the original Great Victoria Street platforms is spot on and brings back memories of the overlap between the 80 class in red & blue with the last of the BUTs and AECs in red and white.

I also like the terrace houses having spent some happy times in nearby Charlieville Avenue.

Looking forward to more pics. Are you still living in the Belfast area?

Great layout Andy. Your model of the original Great Victoria Street platforms is spot on and brings back memories of the overlap between the 80 class in red & blue with the last of the BUTs and AECs in red and white.

I also like the terrace houses having spent some happy times in nearby Charlieville Avenue.

Looking forward to more pics. Are you still living in the Belfast area?

Colin

Thanks for your positive comments,especially regarding the platforms.With my model being a lookalike tribute,it is good to hear comments from people who remember the old station and can relate the model to the original.The station had so much character and smell from the nearby tobacco factory and although I wont be able to recreate the smell,hopefully with the station roof,customs hall with their garish yellow tiles and the Boyne bridge over the platforms,the lookalike tribute will do the old station proud.

Thanks for the comments on the terraced houses,I think the Metcalfe kits really reflect the type of housing that backed on to the railway and in Belfast in general.It really is a small world,as I lived in Hugh Street,which you will know ran off Charlieville Avenue and spent most of my childhood by the railway at the back of Mayfield Street,watching the freight operations

at Adelaide.

I no longer live in Belfast,having moved to Glasgow over 20 years ago.

Thanks again for your comments.

Andy

A couple more photos from the layout.

The first photo is a general view of the local station 'Alsadon',with a CIE 071 class in charge of the Enterprise to Dublin passing through the station and passing an NIR Hunslet on ballast duty.In the yard to the left some fertilizer and cement wagons can be seen.The colour schemes place this photo in the early 80s.

The second photo shows an NIR DH running light,something that they were used to doing as their haulage capacity was very limited and their reliability very suspect!In the background in the yard are more cement bubbles and container wagons.

Andy

gallery_1918_2005_479776.jpggallery_1918_2005_260747.jpg

• Like 2

Love it!

What are the container flats?

Cheers Stephen.

The container flats are old Hornby freightliner wagons,cut and shut.They come with 3x 20ft containers,which have just been repainted into the Bell colours.Actually,2 of these freightliner wagons are over 40 years old,as they are from my first ever train set from 1970,a Hornby Hymek freightliner set!

Andy

Another view from circa 1980.An 80 class driving trailer brings up the rear end of a local heading to Lisburn,while an NIR 111 class heads towards Belfast with the Enterprise.A CIE 141 class is shunting cement bubbles while an NIR Hunslet rests in the freight yard beside the container wagons.An interesting fact about the freight operations at the original Adelaide at the time was that all the freight was handled by CIE locomotives,NIR had already ceased internal freight,and although there was generally a Hunslet on hand at the yard for shunting purposes,the CIE loco's done most of their own shunting,leaving the Hunslet to idle in the yard most of the day!

Andy

gallery_1918_2005_8756.jpg

• Like 2

Like your 2 Hunslets Stephen,they really look the part.Is that a working light fitted in the blue Hunslet and if so,what technique and bulbs etc did you use?

The Hunslet is my favourite loco,just glad 102 is now safe and sound in Cultra, as it appeared for a time it would end up like its sister locomotives.The maroon livery was the best livery these locos ever carried,it really suited them.I intend to model all 3 of the class in this livery,with 1 in the early blue livery.

By the way,like the ballasting on your trackwork.

Andy

The photo below is a view from the street looking towards the station entrance.The real Adelaide station entrance was between 2 gable end houses and the station overlooked the backs of the local houses.In the foreground a woman can be seen scrubbing her front step,a common sight in 70s Belfast as the women were very proud of the appearance of their houses.

The Ford capri and mini help to date the scene.

gallery_1918_2005_120196.jpg

The photo below is a view from the footbridge looking into the houses that back onto the railway.Small details like dustbins and washing lines can help add realism to a layout.

gallery_1918_2005_266872.jpg

• Like 4

A couple more photos from the layout,hope you enjoy.

The photo below shows the NIR DH shunter running light,passing the CIE 141 class shunting cement bubbles.The 141 class is an MIR (Model Irish Railways) whitemetal kit running on an Athearn chassis and is around 15 years old.When I started Irish modelling for this era,everything had to be kit built or model bashed.This model is still a terrific runner,but the whitemetal kit looks chunky compared to the RTR Murphy Model 141s now available and sadly it does not get the air time it deserves on the layout anymore.RTR models have come a long way.

gallery_1918_2005_43829.jpg

The photo below is a head on view of 2-80 class railcars calling at the station.The Belfast bound train (left) is an 80 class driving trailer in the original maroon/blue livery while the Lisburn bound train (right) is an 80 class power car in the later early 80s livery of grey with maroon band.These railcars first arrived in 1974 and a couple were still working until recently.

gallery_1918_2005_517978.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hey Andy :)

Sorry for the delay, the new pics are looking good!

The Hunslets are on a Bachmann class 20 chassis with DCC and lights added. It popped a tiny LED through a drilled hole for the headlight and wired it to the decoders f0 output. Works nicely :)

The pics are on the old layout :) Getting ripped up now to make room for the new monster:)

Hey Andy :)

The Hunslets are on a Bachmann class 20 chassis with DCC and lights added. It popped a tiny LED through a drilled hole for the headlight and wired it to the decoders f0 output. Works nicely :)

Thanks Stephen-will need to work out similar wiring for DC control.

Glad you liked the latest pics.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_1918_2005_3001.jpggallery_1918_2005_4693.jpg

Above are another couple of photos from the layout.Both show a CIE 071 class powering out from under the road bridge and passing an NIR 80 class heading towards Belfast.In the goods yard,a CIE 141 class is sandwiched between some cement bubbles and fertilizer wagons.Above the lines,a joint RUC/army patrol has caused rush hour chaos with the setting up of a roadblock.Circa 1976.

The 071 class entered service in 1976 and some are still at work today.

Love that MED - those and the MPDs WERE 'the train', when I was a nipper (north Belfast, just up Duncairn Gardens or the Limestone Road from York Road terminus, and a short hop across the bridge to Queen's Quay).

Nice RUC Hotspurs, complete with early cream wheels, showing good attention to detail in the finish; the unpainted ones in the 'barracks' yard look like the more modern Tangis. Your Army Landrovers look like canvas-backed rather than VPK- (glass-fibre 'armour') fitted (eg no roof hatch or sentries) but they are even complete with what I presume is the common 'confidential telephone' yellow lettering on the sides and the Humber 'pig' looks like it has the ATO's 'Felix' symbol painied on its side.

And those Leyland Altanteans...all in all, your layout's like a time machine back to '70s Belfast, warts and all!

• Like 1

Love that MED - those and the MPDs WERE 'the train', when I was a nipper (north Belfast, just up Duncairn Gardens or the Limestone Road from York Road terminus, and a short hop across the bridge to Queen's Quay).

Nice RUC Hotspurs, complete with early cream wheels, showing good attention to detail in the finish; the unpainted ones in the 'barracks' yard look like the more modern Tangis. Your Army Landrovers look like canvas-backed rather than VPK- (glass-fibre 'armour') fitted (eg no roof hatch or sentries) but they are even complete with what I presume is the common 'confidential telephone' yellow lettering on the sides and the Humber 'pig' looks like it has the ATO's 'Felix' symbol painied on its side.

And those Leyland Altanteans...all in all, your layout's like a time machine back to '70s Belfast, warts and all!

Thanks for your comments Ivor,glad the layout has brought some memories back for you.

The RUC landrovers are from the excellent BW Models range.The unpainted ones in the barracks are actually early and later version Hotspurs with the side skirts,while the painted ones are the earlier VPK fitted landrovers.The Tangi's and Simba's are too modern for my era,but you are correct about the lettering on the sides of the army landrovers,it is the confidential telephone number.The army landrovers are old Airfix kits that I converted many years ago,long before I discovered the BW range,so they may be replaced with the more authentic VPK type in the future.The 'pig' does have the felix symbol and along with the confidential phone number they come in transfer form from BW models also.

I have always had a soft spot for the MEDs,they were the train to the yearly summer holiday day trip to Bangor!!! Time machine back to 70s Belfast,warts and all,you could not have paid the layout a higher compliment.Many thanks.

Andy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with a loft layout,especially in weather like this,is it is not a pleasant place to be in.The other problem I have,when I do venture up into the loft to do some work on Great Victoria Street,I end up convincing myself that the loco's need a bit of a run,which is what has happened here.So anyone expecting a bit more work done on the station will be disappointed,but I did get a few shots of the trains at work,which can be more than said of me.Anyway,enjoy the photos.

The photo below shows the tail end coach of an NIR 3 car BUT railcar set heading towards Lisburn,passing double headed CIE 141 loco's on a loose coupled freight heading to Grosvenor Road freight yard in Belfast -circa 1972

gallery_1918_2005_2905127.jpg

The photo below has been taken on NIR metals,but could be a scene from anywhere in Ireland.A double headed CIE freight powered by a couple of GM141s passes the station and sister loco heading home with the CIE Enterprise.Once again a scene from 40 years ago.gallery_1918_2005_753302.jpg

Another view of the scene above

gallery_1918_2005_562558.jpg

Ariel view of CIE freight passing NIR BUT railcar

gallery_1918_2005_481959.jpg

gallery_1918_2005_2905127.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Having lost my modelling mojo recently,I rediscovered it with a trip to the excellent model railway show in Perth last month.Seeing some great layouts in the flesh is a great tonic for kick-starting one's own projects.

Work on Great Victoria Street station had somewhat stalled recently,but,with my interest rekindled,I decided to make a start on the column supports for the overall roof.The photo below shows the work done on them to date,there are 10 column supports in total.

The supports are made from wedding cake pillars,which have had the top and the bottom of the pillars cut off.The pillars were then cut 3 times down the length,with 1 piece discarded and the other 2 filed and then rejoined together,to form the shape of the columns.Hornby canopy supports were then added to the top of the pillars to achieve the desired height and replicate the GNR architecture that were prominent at the top of the original columns.I have worked from many photos,unfortunately due to copyright I am unable to reproduce any for comparison.

A lot of work involved to get this far,but well worth it.

Thanks for looking

Andy

gallery_1918_2005_3226243.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Andy only just spotted this thread, love the layout. Having travelled to Adelaide for years (based on the Lisburn Rd) for work then in more recent years GV (the modern version) I have a great interest in the area. Look forward to following the thread

Andy only just spotted this thread, love the layout. Having travelled to Adelaide for years (based on the Lisburn Rd) for work then in more recent years GV (the modern version) I have a great interest in the area. Look forward to following the thread

Thanks Retro King for your comments.

Being born and bred in the Adelaide area,it holds a lot of happy memories for me and the lookalike tribute through the layout helps to bring back and retain those memories.I was 'back home' in the area last month for the first time in a few years and was quite surprised at the change to the freight yard,which has all but gone.2 months school summer holidays in the 70s watching the freight operations is alas just a memory!At least the layout helps transport me back to those days!

Thanks also to all those who click the 'like this' box,its much appreciated.

Andy

My family always referred to the station at Gt Victoria Street as "the GNR". I can just about remember it from the 1960s. I think that I only travelled from there a couple of times with my aunt.

As you say, it's all changed with the old station demolished to make way for the Europa Hotel and a shopping centre.

My family always referred to the station at Gt Victoria Street as "the GNR". I can just about remember it from the 1960s. I think that I only travelled from there a couple of times with my aunt.

Great Victoria Street station was the Belfast terminus for the Great Northern Railway (Ireland)- GNR- up until the demise of the GNR in 1958,so the old familiar terms of the locals would still have been in existence in the 60s.I only remember the station from the early 70s,by which time it had lost its magnificent front facade,which as you said, was demolished to make way for the building of the Europa Hotel.The station thereafter went downhill with various bomb attacks and the decision to build Belfast Central-on the outskirts of Belfast! which replaced GVSt in 1976,when GVSt finally closed.

The opening of the new Great Victoria Street in the 90s I think proved the planners got it wrong in the 70s,but too late for that once proud landmark station of the GNR.

Andy

• Like 1

Great Victoria Street station was the Belfast terminus for the Great Northern Railway (Ireland)- GNR- up until the demise of the GNR in 1958,so the old familiar terms of the locals would still have been in existence in the 60s.I only remember the station from the early 70s,by which time it had lost its magnificent front facade,which as you said, was demolished to make way for the building of the Europa Hotel.The station thereafter went downhill with various bomb attacks and the decision to build Belfast Central-on the outskirts of Belfast! which replaced GVSt in 1976,when GVSt finally closed.

The opening of the new Great Victoria Street in the 90s I think proved the planners got it wrong in the 70s,but too late for that once proud landmark station of the GNR.

Andy

If the UTA planners had got their way there wouldn't be any railways apart from the Belfast-Dublin line in Northern Ireland. They wanted to close the whole lot down and rely on buses. They almost managed it as well.

I should have said before, I do think your model looks excellent, very reminiscent of Belfast as I knew it as a boy visiting relatives, and as much if it still looks, I was there last week. The DMU reminds me of the stock that was used on the only surviving remnant of the B&CDR line out to Bangor, but it was in green livery in the '50s if I remember it correctly. Would it have been the same stock?