Belfast Great Victoria Street Station and Adelaide-lookalike tribute

Hunslet 102

• RMweb Gold

You could always run a Deltic as refurnished Deltics were considered but the decision was made to get new General Motors Co Cos instead.  A wise choice ad they are still running well 40 years later.

NIR did get second hand Mk 2s at that time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

You could always run a Deltic as refurnished Deltics were considered but the decision was made to get new General Motors Co Cos instead.  A wise choice ad they are still running well 40 years later.

NIR did get second hand Mk 2s at that time.

A Deltic would have been some sight on GNR metals!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Colin and in 00 scale too! Captures the outside of the original station perfectly, until the authorities in their ultimate wisdom decided to demolish it! Would love to be able to do a model like that and have room for it!!!

Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/05/2023 at 21:12, Hunslet 102 said:

Hi all 

Well still not much new modelling has happened since my last post, Belfast Great Victoria Street station is still in rebuild mode!

However, there is an addition to the modelling scene!

Those that follow the thread will know the back story to GVSt and Adelaide, but before my Irish modelling, my first train set was a BR blue Hymek freightliner set. I have always retained my interest in the BR blue era and having lived in Glasgow for over 30 years now beside the main Glasgow to Edinburgh line and travelled to Queen Street station many times, the compactness of the station always intrigued me. Long story short, I got great information from guys on this forum in the modelling questions section on the locomotives and rolling stock that ran in the early 70s.

So, my plan is that GVSt will double as a fictitious station known as Glasgow Great Queen Street! It will give me the opportunity to run either my Irish themed or BR blue themed era’s from the 70s!

Sorry for the ramble, but to kick things off, below are a couple of shots of a Class 27 at the head of a Glasgow-Edinburgh train, passing a Class 40 heading to Glasgow from Aberdeen!

40684111-2C10-4361-B101-1764727BDEB1.jpeg.d0d8869328b562935ee66d7ba7d11407.jpeg

97AA7807-BA6E-464B-9B7E-8180A79ACCAF.jpeg.f756ba3ab1b0e9d317bafacfa1a22e2f.jpeg

Hi Hunslet 102, just been having a look at this thread after your tip off on the PM. Real shame about he RMWeb photo losses, some great descriptions but a picture is always worth a thousand words....... So skimmed the first couple of pages and been looking at the last few pages with the photos, although I recognise quite a few from your Glasgow based modelling thread.

I dont know anything about the railways of Ireland, but love your convincing back stories, its all part the fun (clearly far too much real ale consumed in the snug of the rivet counters arms).

And totally amazed at what I read in the above quoted text about your first train set, the Hymek Freightliner set. So was mine !!!!!! I loved it and loved the train set box art as well. Kick started my interest.

Isn't this hobby fantastic........😃

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments TT100, much appreciated.

Yes, I really liked the Hymek freightliner train set and actually still have the Hymek body shell, some containers and the 60ft chassis!

It was the start of my enjoyment of the hobby, and before the Irish models became available, I was hooked on BR blue diesels, although not knowing much about them. 
Yep, shame about the photos, but hey ho, onwards and upwards 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1