High Level Chassis Pug Project

steve howe

When this site was revamped a great deal of useful and interesting material was lost (although still extant on the old site it is highly inconvenient to search between there and here. The thread by IanJ in Dewick Street Works on converting the Hornby Pug using the High Level Kits chassis was a case in point and I believe never came to a final conclusion. Which is a pity since it was a highly useful series.

For what its worth I append my efforts below. I have given up on RM Web, the new format and obsession with 'blogs' has made it to difficult to be bothered with attempting to follow. Shame, the old adage 'if it aint broke don't mess with it' comes to mind.

post-7471-12603844283227_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603844525792_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603844737974_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603844924217_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603845055215_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603845194764_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

And to make matters worse Steve, it seems the link to the old site is broken at the moment.

Geoff

When this site was revamped a great deal of useful and interesting material was lost (although still extant on the old site it is highly inconvenient to search between there and here. The thread by IanJ in Dewick Street Works on converting the Hornby Pug using the High Level Kits chassis was a case in point and I believe never came to a final conclusion. Which is a pity since it was a highly useful series.

For what its worth I append my efforts below. I have given up on RM Web, the new format and obsession with 'blogs' has made it to difficult to be bothered with attempting to follow. Shame, the old adage 'if it aint broke don't mess with it' comes to mind.

post-7471-12603844283227_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603844525792_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603844737974_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603844924217_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603845055215_thumb.jpgpost-7471-12603845194764_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I will have a think about recreating the Pug thread on here (probably as a blog but I'm not committed to that yet), but it's not top priority for me at the moment so don't expect it anytime soon...

As a lover of anything industrial related - nice pictures.

Could we have some more pictures of the layout please?

Gordon A

Bristol

The layout is tiny and far from finished, but I will try and get a few more shots.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I have managed to get a few more shots of Horsley Bank, but it is still very much a work in progress!

By the by, I've been to a coule of local shows with it lately and the Pugs have run impeccably all day - not through any skill of mine I must add - but rather a testament to the excellent engineering design in the kit and gearbox.smile.gif

post-7471-12607330682328_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12607330835713_thumb.jpg

post-7471-1260733099715_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12607331136624_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12607331257645_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12607331384794_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12607331502382_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12607331690687_thumb.jpg

Attached are two rough sketches showing the general track arrangement and the approximate positions of buildings, bridges etc. Basically a loop with a headshunt serves two sidings reached by a 'single slip' (actually two A5 turnouts superimposed on each other) and a very short headshunt. The objective was to produce a piece of home entertainment to see what could be done in P4 in a very limited space, and to provide a home for my collection of industrial locomotives.

The access to the loop is via a sector plate which also connects to a 'kick-back' line which runs along the street to a concealed cassette. The length of the loop and sidings was actually quite carefully thought out; the sector plate holds an 0-4-0 and three wagons, the loop and top headshunt can hold a loco and four wagons. The lower headshunt can only hold a loco and two wagons. Thus to shunt the long front siding means wagons have to be moved singly or in pairs. because the 'slip' is only one sided, wagons destined for the factory siding have to be taken into the headshunt, then into the long siding and propelled back, (always assuming the headshunt is empty and the long siding has sufficient room..!) in short, its a shunting puzzle and as such can absorb many hours of totally mindless playing trains.

It works as a home entertainment, but exhibition operation soon turns it into a nightmare, especially as we have 3 link couplings and parts of the layout are now so 'built up' as to be virtually innaccessible. (that bit was not so well thought out) In the light of a few local shows, I have made some modifications to make operating less stressful, and intend to try AJ couplings as the next step. The layout is 'pencilled in' for the West of England show at Redruth in March, but that depends on how motivated I am to finish it!!

In response to Paul's query, the artwork for all the signs and gates etc. was done on the computer, mainly in Word, and some in Photoshop, generally just printed out on thin card at hi-res. and mounted onto 0.5mm ply. I have also found the waterslide decal paper made by Crafty Computer Paper very useful for 'painted' lettering, but the colour is not very opaque so you generally need to paint the wall a suitable base colour (i.e white for white lettering) before you apply the transfer, because of course - unless you have a mega expensive laser printer - you cannot print a solid white.

Incidentally small layouts don't neccesarily equal quick layouts, this one was started about 14 years ago when I lived in West Yorkshire, although in fairness most of the scenic work has been done in the last 18 months since returning to my native Cornwall.

Steve

post-7471-12608008312113_thumb.jpg

post-7471-12608008435735_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

Hello Steve!

I have only just discovered your wonderful micro layout and its collection of Pugs! The whole project just oozes atmosphere from every cylinder. Most inspiring! My layout has a Hornby Pug with Ultrascale wheels, but as yet the loco still needs some refining. Would you be able to post some more photos of the layout and its loco fleet?

Cheers

Simon

Pugs or not, the setting of this layout is inspiring, to say the least. Everything about it looks so right.

Well done Steve, on creating a very beleivable layout. A true gem.

By the way, you are not my little brother are you - Stephen Howe? I wish you were my man. Imagine to railway builders in the same family. I wonder now, does that ever happen?

Great pictures.cool.gif

Archived