Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Kids TV Show Query?

woodyfox

Can anyone remember a kids 'drama' series set on a GWR branch (if memory serves). I was aired in the late 70's or early 80's. All I can recall is being inspired by it and it starred a kid who was a bit on the large side weight wise... ...oh and he may have had ginger hair!

Any ideas?

Regards

Stu

God's Wonderful Railway, written by Avril Rowlands. June Brown, aka Dot Cotton, was in it, as was Terry Molloy [Mike Tucker in The Archers, Davros in Dr Who] and Roger Hume [another Archers character, mind goes blank] and - Gorden Kaye, aka Rene in Allo Allo!

Don't worry, folks - all this came from Google!

Chris

God's Wonderful Railway, written by Avril Rowlands. June Brown, aka Dot Cotton, was in it, as was Terry Molloy [Mike Tucker in The Archers, Davros in Dr Who] and Roger Hume [another Archers character, mind goes blank] and - Gorden Kaye, aka Rene in Allo Allo!

Chris

Spot on I think,excellent series based around Highley on the SVR.Wish they would show it again.

Chris

The Beeb also produced three books based on the series, the first book covered the construction and upto the early 20th century, the second covered the Edwardian period, and the third book covered a period that was (roughly) bound by 1935 - 1940.

I've got the first two books somewhere - brought when I was at school - and I used to borrow the third one from my library, and it has been quite a while since I've read them so I might have the periods covered a bit out.

I wonder if I could get the third book? :scratchhead:

[*spoiler alert*] I remember a key scene where the daughter/sister tells the young boy that he was adopted. She then runs to her mum and says 'I told him'. June Brown looks a bit confused and says 'What do you mean?', and the daughter just repeats again 'I told him'. June's face just drops at that point. Would probably look pretty tame today, but that still sticks in the memory as a powerful scene.

Can't remember much else about it, other than a night time scene where (I think) a black loco with 'NE' on the tender steams through and the young boy asks his dad (who was the stationmaster if memory serves) why this non-GWR loco was going through the station. The dad says something like 'they'll be a lot of changes round here for a while'. I think this was the outbreak of WWII.

Would love to see it again, if only for the nostalgia wallow.

• RMweb Gold

If we're talking about God's Wonderful Railway, I remember the construction era scenes were filmed in thea area of line where the SVR were having problems with land slippage, so the earthworks, ballast and track all looked new. Also notable for using the Wantage Tramway No.5 "Shannon" as the contractor's loco. This couldn't be steamed so for any scenes requiring movement it was pushed along by another loco behind, with a bucket of smouldering rags in the smokebox to give some exhaust effects!

I remember that series well. The first few episodes were set in the early 20th century when the main character starts as a young porter. The second half was set during WW2 by which time he had become Station Master.

There is a full episode here: http://liberalengland.blogspot.com/2011/04/gods-wonderful-railway-fire-on-line.html

Cheers

David

Archived