Tor Giffard 2 1951-71 in P4 - North Devon/Cornwall LSWR (former routes)

Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Hi Ernie,

.....if it is any comfort I've never trodden this path before myself....all is experimental and new.....but then that is why I'm bothering to make the journey. My admitting to no knowledge on the RSU suggested by Mike above may now lead to a better approach to soldering the bowstring arches.....of which there are six req. for the three sections.

This demonstration video gives a useful insight into resistance soldering    

http://www.lumaelectric.com/demonstration.php

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin' all,

A productive day working on the 1st caisson assembly:

1mm PTFE sheet can be cut/trimmed with scissors and is very durable....here it is being readied for use as a washer twixt caisson tube and polycarbonate river surface. The n/s strip linking the caisson tubes to which the bottom set of lattice beams will be soldered is flush with the base of the PTFE when the caisson assembly stands upright

post-7795-0-10942600-1428164250.jpg

Softwood jaw extensions for the vice allow the delicate lattice section to be clamped whilst the gap which will allow the narrower beam to pass through is slitted/needle filed

post-7795-0-69499300-1428164265.jpg

A 7mm n/s strip was 'scrawked' from stock sheet and marked into equilateral triangles ready for snipping out and preparing for use as mounting/joining plates between lattice beams. The small hole in each triangle is to allow a pin to be passed through which will then act as a positioning/holding device whilst the triangles are soldered in place

post-7795-0-71405400-1428164281.jpg

Test locating the bottom beams to ensure a common centre line vertically. The bottom beams did have to cross each other after all

post-7795-0-68226500-1428164298.jpg

The round dental grinding bit used on the caisson assembly

post-7795-0-75041700-1428164317.jpg

The dental grinding bit is perfect for profiling the joins between the lattice beam mounting/securing plates and the beams themselves. Some gap filling has been req. between lattice beams with n/s offcuts being soldered in....this technique wouldn't be acceptable for rolling stock finishing but by the time that these assemblies have been fettled and primed/painted then no-one will be able to observe them beneath the bridge at distance

post-7795-0-62238900-1428164337.jpg

Clamping the assembly vertical with all alignments checked ensures that the new beams are added in the correct positions. It is obviously desirable to achieve the neatest and most prototypical possible but one advantage of lattice which is regularly submerged in river water is that various weed deposits/vegetation accumulation can be found in and around the nooks & crannies, these can be used to disguise any imperfections. 

post-7795-0-79239000-1445024497.png

Various lengths of alligator clip hold the new beams in place ready for the soldering in of the joint plates. The PTFE washer is of the style to be added to the caisson tube bases but will be further trimmed to allow the M10 studding to pass through

post-7795-0-62106600-1429098810.jpg

A comfortable height/adjustable angle work station suitable for the fettling work on the caisson assemblies added to the side of the folding workbench

post-7795-0-33000100-1429183776.jpg

The similar, although tidally affected, latticework on the Little Petherick Creek bridge

post-7795-0-01145400-1429184603.jpg

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Aft'noon all,

Latest arrival from Precision Decals are various sets for the Associated Octel scratchbuild and Slate Powder Presflos. With Alps based decals I always order a third side for each wagon as they are fragile....

post-7795-0-81148200-1430140016.jpg

Dave

• 4 months later...

Evenin' all,

With Is settled into her chemo regime and some form of household routine in place, a little time for modelling offers itself again. Forthcoming RIV buffers from Dave Franks will remove the last hurdle preventing scratchbuilding of the 3 Associated Octel tank variants for TG. The most difficult will be the Grazebrook bromine version, for which we only have the basic Rolling Stock Library drawing, however, similarly dimensioned components from the more detailed notes/GA drawings for the other tanks allows educated guesses to fill the gaps. Today's progress relates to cutting the brass barrel tube/squaring both ends and manufacturing the two barrel ends each from 3 thicknesses of Plasticard superglued together. Some profiling remains to be done on the second 'end'. I don't build one of anything so there will be at least two of each tank type. See.....

post-7795-0-76137500-1442250615.jpg

post-7795-0-31899700-1442250585.jpg

This image shows a Grazebrook tank at the end of its life....dumped on the ground at Crumps, Connahs Quay. The models will replicate two tanks in mid 1960s silver/black livery pre UIC numbering....I am unable to replicate the 1960s pictures but will refer to details from them during the build. However, once the book which we're currently researching is printed then these images should be available to you.

post-7795-0-65046000-1442250512.jpg

post-7795-0-65214900-1442250643.jpg

post-7795-0-18217300-1442251218.png

post-7795-0-71399900-1442251232.png

Grazebrook tank at Crumps image reproduced with kind permission of David Ratcliffe.

The RSL Ferrytank diagrams are courtesy of Trevor Mann and can be found on the Barrowmore MRG site.   http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf

Dave 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the good wishes.

Yes, our group of 3 spent some time admiring the layout. I lived in Cheadle for 25 yrs so could readily picture the location. Good to chat with John and Wagonbasher....Geoff seemed to be tied up when I had the opportunity to speak.

Rgds

Dave 

Mornin' all,

Approaching 50 I'm finding that I'm starting to shy away from some of the eyebending modelling that I've previously just got on with....enter latest gadget, an 8 x magnifying worklamp which has brought everything back into sharp well lit focus. The long, balanced arm stays where you position it and just lifts right out of the way when not required, the clamp ensuring that you can't overbalance it and there is no bulky base wasting bench space....

post-7795-0-89820900-1442298861.jpg

post-7795-0-46412000-1442298827.jpg

Mine came from here    http://www.somersetsolders.com/led-magnifying-lamps/p159

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Evenin' all,

Combining the basic RSL diagram for the Grazebrook bromine tank with numerous close up images and the GA drawings for other Octel tanks built at the same time has enabled sufficient scale dimensions for a start to be made:

3.5mm brass U section channel from Eileen's is the closest match for the main frames....4 lengths cut/filed to 94.83mm....the ends had the last 0.7mm top & bottom filed off to allow the longitudinals to slot into the rear of the headstocks. I find snipping the pieces overlength with a pair of Xuron trackcutters and filing to size avoids the distortion created by using a razorsaw. The headstock width dimension used is 30.5mm, this matches that of the Charles Roberts bromine tank which carries the same buffers and appears identical in this area in close up pictures (excepting the ferry securing anchor). The inner pair of longitudinals were spaced with 4.58mm pieces of the same channel as per the main frame GA drawing for the CR bromine tank, again this corresponds with close up images of the Grazebrook tanks. Fine graph paper pinned to a flat MDF board has enabled the first frame members to be soldered squarely together....  

post-7795-0-65102500-1444667955.jpg

One end of the underframe on this vehicle is uncovered and therefore a key visual area when viewed from above....esp. with the small barrel covering little of it....therefore, correct representation is important. The other end of the underframe lies beneath the footplate at the handbrake end and isn't on display. Close up images of the exposed end of the underframe are hard to find but the ones which I have, combined with the drawings should do the job.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Combining the basic RSL diagram for the Grazebrook bromine tank with numerous close up images and the GA drawings for other Octel tanks built at the same time has enabled sufficient scale dimensions for a start to be made:

3.5mm brass U section channel from Eileen's is the closest match for the main frames....4 lengths cut/worked to 94.83mm....the ends had the last 0.7mm top & bottom filed off to allow the longitudinals to slot into the rear of the headstocks. I find snipping the pieces overlength with a pair of Xuron trackcutters and filing to size avoids the distortion created by using a razorsaw. The headstock width dimension used is 30.5mm, this matches that of the Charles Roberts bromine tank which carries the same buffers and appears identical in close up pictures. The inner pair of longitudinals were spaced with 4.58mm pieces of the same channel as per the main frame GA drawing for the CR bromine tank, again this corresponds with close up images of the Grazebrook tanks. Fine graph paper pinned to a flat MDF board has enabled the first frame members to be soldered squarely together....  

attachicon.gifP1010715.JPG

Dave

You may have a better plan b than me Dave, but I drill the headstocks before soldering it together, easier to get at?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

....one of the next tasks...before the solebars are soldered in place. I'm comparing solebar/buffer positioning with a few close up images to make sure that this scratchbuild/informed guess measurement approach is heading the right way first. Once I'm happy then the components for the second wagon will be produced to this stage.  

Rgds

Dave

.....they're not the solebars Mike....they're the centre longitudinals and are soldered into place already but by using a piece of MDF with a slot cut into it,  it is still easy to mark and drill the buffer and drawhook centres.

Dave

Evenin' all,

Progress today has included marking (by improperly using jaws of the Vernier caliper to score the brass) centres for the buffers and drawhooks, drilling same with pin chuck/twist drills and cutting/filing the solebars.....

post-7795-0-03527200-1444927063.jpg

....the flatness/heat resistance qualities of Tufnol blocks makes them ideal for soldering components onto an assembly whilst all is held flat/square. Ambis drawhooks and screw couplings will be made up for this wagon....

post-7795-0-27223400-1444927079.jpg

....checking all alignments for squareness/correct positioning against the graph paper (whilst the solebars are tack soldered) before securely soldering them in place

post-7795-0-09843300-1444927114.jpg

Regular visits to the ultrasound bath keep the growing assembly clean, removes flux residues, tests the integrity of the joints and makes the structure easy to solder to.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

There are already several techniques which will be used on Grazebrook 2 which weren't used on Grazebrook 1 but I suppose that is why it is always quicker to build any subsequent models after the first.

Dave

Also why the first one tends to look nothing like the rest!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all,

Progress today has included marking (by improperly using jaws of the Vernier caliper to score the brass) centres for the buffers and drawhooks, drilling same with pin chuck/twist drills and cutting/filing the solebars.....

attachicon.gifP1010720.JPG

....the flatness of Tufnol blocks makes them ideal for soldering components onto an assembly whilst all is held flat/square. Ambis drawhooks and screw couplings will be made up for this wagon....

attachicon.gifP1010723.JPG

....checking all alignments for squareness/correct positioning against the graph paper (whilst the solebars are tack soldered) before securely soldering them in place

attachicon.gifP1010725.JPG

Dave

I like the Tufnol block idea. Glad I'm not the only one who uses graph paper that way.

Mornin' St E,

I'd much rather be checking/correcting any basic alignment issues at this stage, where alterations can be made quickly/easily, rather than reach a point where much of the wagon has been built/many work hours invested and it will neither run properly nor sit squarely on the track/next to other wagons. Funnily enough I've still got that tee-shirt.

As with most modellers the techniques which I use are a mixture of my own trial & error/using what I have to hand and those borrowed from others.

Dave

Archived