Railway Breakdown Cranes Volume 2 Now Out.

Baby Deltic

I bought this book at the Watford Show yesterday, and, having thumbed through it a few times, it looks to be a very nice book. It covers steam cranes used on BR from the early days onwards. There is a lot of technical material giving details of manufacturers and specifications, plus drawings and loads of photographs. Looking at the back cover it states that volume 2 will be released next year covering the larger long jib cranes of both steam and diesel types. Volume 1 covers the smaller long jib designs.

Author: Peter Tatlow

Publisher: Kevin Robertson under the Noodle Books Imprint

ISBN: 978-1-906419-69-1

Alas (for my wallet) Mr Robertson should be at the Basingstoke show although from what he said when we last spoke I don't think the 'Signalbox Cats' book will be out by then so I'll have a look at this one instead.

'Signalbox Cats'? sounds an excellent title! to be followed by 'Engine Shed Cats'? and 'Pigeon Scaring Birds of Prey'?

• RMweb Gold

'Signalbox Cats'? sounds an excellent title! to be followed by 'Engine Shed Cats'? and 'Pigeon Scaring Birds of Prey'?

Officially it is 'GWR Signalbox Cats, Liveries and Alocations' but when I spoke to Kevin Robertson about it at the Maidenhead show he said that he had received a lot of pictures so I do wonder if it might broaden and not just be wholly Western or wholly signalbox in content. You can find it here at the bottom of Page 20 of his catalogue http://www.noodlebooks.co.uk/catalogue2/index.html

Officially it is 'GWR Signalbox Cats, Liveries and Alocations' but when I spoke to Kevin Robertson about it at the Maidenhead show he said that he had received a lot of pictures so I do wonder if it might broaden and not just be wholly Western or wholly signalbox in content. You can find it here at the bottom of Page 20 of his catalogue http://www.noodleboo...gue2/index.html

Ah, so maybe there'll be LMS, LNER, Met, BR, SR, LU cats too? ;)

My copy arrived 3 days ago and has hardly been put down since! Informative text throughout backed by a wealth of quality images and drawings.

Peter Tatlow should be thoroughly congratulated on what appears to be a definative study on this often disregarded railway topic. I can highly recommend this title to anyone with even just a passing interest in the subject and also very much look forward to the 2nd volume in due course.

Andy.

I had a quick skim through it today at Alton and was mighty impressed - I think Mr Robertson is likely to be relieving me of a few quid the next time I see his stall (Basingstoke exhibition I think).

It is heavily discounted via Amazon!

• RMweb Gold

It is heavily discounted via Amazon!

Thanks for that Paul but I do think KR deserves some more immediate support (and he does sometimes give a discount if I'm lining his pockets with sufficient plastic or folding money). Overall he does a lot of good for our hobby with regular attendance at some relatively small local shows apart from producing a great range of books covering a variety of stuff the bigger publishers tend to ignore. He is, I suppose, the 'small publisher and bookshop' equivalent of the 'small model shop' and whilst I can afford to support him, and have a chat with him, I'm happy to keep on doing so.

• 6 months later...

I can let you know that the preparation of volume 2 (cranes with releiving bogies) is well underway and the actual writing/drawing is complete. It will have at least the magnitude of content as volume 1.

A date for publication has not yet been set but it is hoped that it will be earlish next year.

If anyone knows much about engineer's cranes/has pictures/drawings etc (and is not already known by my father), can they contact me offline.

• 2 months later...

I can let you know that the preparation of volume 2 (cranes with releiving bogies) is well underway and the actual writing/drawing is complete. It will have at least the magnitude of content as volume 1.

A date for publication has not yet been set but it is hoped that it will be earlish next year.

The expectation is that volume 2 will be released at the Southampton show in 26 & 27 January 2013 (http://southamptonmodelrailwaysociety.wordpress.com/exhibition-2013-2/).

My father will be on hand for at least the Saturday; so if you want an autographed copy do come along.

As per my previous post, if there any people with knowledge of engineer's cranes etc, we would be keen to here from you via a PM. There is a desire (maybe, someday) to do volume 3 on these.

• 3 weeks later...

The expectation is that volume 2 will be released at the Southampton show in 26 & 27 January 2013 (http://southamptonmodelrailwaysociety.wordpress.com/exhibition-2013-2/).

My father will be on hand for at least the Saturday; so if you want an autographed copy do come along.

As per my previous post, if there any people with knowledge of engineer's cranes etc, we would be keen to here from you via a PM. There is a desire (maybe, someday) to do volume 3 on these.

I can confirm that the proofs have now been returned to the publishers and volume 2 is now with the printers.  I have had a gander at these and they cover all the cranes with releiving bogies and also quite extensive apendices on how break down cranes were used (and how this evolved), broad allocations and a record as to what happened to the cranes (a good number are preserved).

It will be 290 pages long, so that is the best part of an inch thick!  Sorry that does mean that it is not quite priced as a paperback but it does look very good (even admiting my bias!).

The launch at the Southampton show looks safe and my father is expected to be on hand for at least the Saturday (by Kevin Robertson/Noodle Book's stand) if you want an autographed copy.

I am pretty certain my father will also be assisting behind Portchullin at Ally Pally, so eek him out there if you can not get to Southampton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-7769-0-59119100-1359109146_thumb.jpg

As noted earlier, volume 2 is now available and there will be a good stack of them with Kevin Robertson at the Southampton show.  My father will be on hand to autograph them if anybody wishes.

This is a substantial volume (so you will need both hands to carry it I hear!).  There are lots of high quality and large format photographs and also drawings of all of the remaining cranes, including many of their varients. 

My copy arrived yesterday and was waiting for me when I got in from work. All I can say it is excellent, I have not had chance to read front to back, but from what I have seen, like I say its excellent. It is a must for those interested in heavy cranes and re-railing operations. Not only cranes shown, but also equipment such as the MFD re-railing gear and also pictures of some BRUFF's. With regards to the cranes there are also some very good drawings aswell.

Hopefully will get chance over the weekend to have a good read.

Cheers

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifCrane Cover Vol 2 V11.JPG

As noted earlier, volume 2 is now available and there will be a good stack of them with Kevin Robertson at the Southampton show.  My father will be on hand to autograph them if anybody wishes.

This is a substantial volume (so you will need both hands to carry it I hear!).  There are lots of high quality and large format photographs and also drawings of all of the remaining cranes, including many of their varients. 

Picked up a copy at Watford show, certainly worth its wait (and weight!). Quick check reveals upgrade of Hornby Dublo model should be on, main dimensions appear ok. The drawings are to 4mm but beware of some distortion on at least one drawing - plan views on p328.

Cheers,

Jim

Picked up a copy at Watford show, certainly worth its wait (and weight!). Quick check reveals upgrade of Hornby Dublo model should be on, main dimensions appear ok. The drawings are to 4mm but beware of some distortion on at least one drawing - plan views on p328.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

The drawings are not generally to 4mm I am afraid.  Most have had to be reduced to fit the page.  Sorry but pull out pages to enlarge the paper space add significantly to the printing costs and there are a lot of drawings in the book as you will have discovered! 

All drawings have a scale bar on them, so you will be able to adjust the drawing size quite easily on a photocopier. 

As I understand it the old Hornby DoubleO crane does indeed form a pretty good basis for a model.

Published?  Well, having ordered a copy from the WH Smith website the weekend before last, my order status is showing "not yet published" (as is "Barry: The History of the Yard and its Locomotives", ordered at the same time).  It looks as though I may be in for something of a wait.

I would hassle WHSmith or go somewhere else?

I'm still waiting for my order from Amazon placed at New Year. Their latest prediction is early March, but if you reckon nearly a third of the print run have sold already I may resort to Plan B!

Regards,

Andy.

Archived