Camden Shed

Ian, mucky duck, Steve and Bill,

Thanks very much for the interest.

Ian - I'm modelling around 1962, basically because that provides an overlap where basically everything I'd like to run, ran in the condition I'd like to run it in. If that makes any sense. I've got some of the motive power already - some Coronations including 46256, some Black Fives (including HRP Caprotti 44687, of which I have a picture heading an up express from Manchester under Regents Park Road bridge), 2 Britannias, 71000 (although that will be replaced with a better version) and 2 Jinties; but no Princess Royals, Jubilees, Rebuilt Scots or Patriots yet. No diesels (yet) either. There will be some modeller's licence used, to imagine that some freight went past the shed southbound into London (maybe the vast Camden Goods Yard, in reality opposite the shed, was in fact a few hundred yards south? Some of the locos will therefore not be prototypical for the Euston approaches, in particular my namesake. A completely fanciful alternative view of history states that, as useful as 92220 was found to be on the Red Dragon, Capitals United and Pines, it could have found favour on the old LNWR mainline. That's my excuse...... Also I'd like to have a couple of BR Standards as well. In fact I already do, I just need to fabricate an excuse to run them.

I've not built the electrification for the Watford EMUs. On my approximation, I would have needed to make the electrified lines (up and down slow) the two central lines of the 4, and to make them begin to descend as they reached the bridge. I was trying to avoid gradients at all costs and I just thought that it would be too much. It's basically a layout to watch the trains go past a busy shed.

Hope that helps,

Iain

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

It's been a while, so a quick update.... I've finished both sides of Regents Park Road bridge, fixed them squarely to the cross members underneath, and added the bracing visible on the south side. Still a bit more detailing to do. I've begun the brick supports and the rest of the surrounding structures. It's progressing.....

An atmospheric shot from Peter Brabham's flickr stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/5957789982/

I've finished the 4 track mainline - it is ballasted, weathered (more about that in due course.....) and I've wired the droppers to the bus wires.

North end approaches are done, laid and wired. I need to fit the tortoises still.

South end approaches scrapped and restarted!

The shed has had an important visitor today....

Pics to follow when I can find the camera lead or the SD card reader.... :scratchhead:

Iain

• Like 2

As Iain is just a stone's throw from home, I had the pleasure of seeing Camden shed today for the first time. This really has the makings of a great layout with the option of running long express trains around the loops and bags of interest in the shed area itself. The new bridge is one beautiful structure and the flowing track work looks very special indeed.

Add to that some expertly modified loco's such as a Crosti 9F and high running plate Black 5 and buildings modelled on the original prototypes and it will be very special indeed.

• Like 3

Yes, Camden originally 2 sheds, roundhouse to the north of the main line, straight shed to the south (modified a few times over the years), the roundhouse went out of use in the 1870's. '92220' planned track layout as in post #10 is a very good representation of a shed I got thrown out of many times in the early 1960's.

Ah, right: hence the preserved roundhouse there now?

Yet another steam shed I never went to.........easier to list the ones I DID!

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon, you're too kind. It was very good of you to come over. Without your encouragement, advice and help, I would be a lot further down the wrong path by now.

Had good news that the electrician is installing 4 new daylight tubes over the scenic section which will hopefully give better conditions for photos.

This vanishing SD card reader is now annoying me!

Iain

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies to anyone who might be interested: I ought to have done at least a few updates recently:

I’ve done the approaches to the scenic section at both north and south ends now. Wired and tested with the multimeter. They seem to run OK with a test loco and coaches.

I’ve fitted and wired my first tortoise, in fact I’ve done 12 now. I must admit that I found it about 800 times easier than doing a Seep motor. With the added bonus that the internal switch to change frog polarity also works, which I never seemed to manage reliably with a seep on the old layout. Once all the other tortoises are wired in I can check properly for reliable running but I hope they will be fine.

The wiring of the boards is being done as I go, partly so that I can test each section, but also so that I can disconnect into sections to troubleshoot should I need to, which I probably will. I have a power bus for each half of the layout – Up and Down lines - and there will be a separate one for the shed area

I’ve taken the route of trying to finish all the mainlines and storage yard, partly as I need to have the mainlines finished in order not to have to reach over the shed section anyway, but also as I can at least run something while embarking on the lengthy task of doing all the shed area. So I have two major boards to lay next – both ends of the storage sidings, with 10 copperclad points on each. All of them are curved and mainly C9-C11, so practice makes perfect I suppose.

Once all the boards at the south end are laid, wired, tested etc, I can build my workbench at that end too.

Regents Park Road bridge

I’ve finished both sides of it, fixed it to the cross members and added the bracing on the south side of it. It needs painting. It also needs a roadbed, pavements and the walkway barriers, plus I need to complete the brick piers. But it is coming on, given that most of my time has to be building the track and wiring.

The photos below are a few weeks behind. Must take some more!

post-10140-0-85525800-1342048017_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-55181900-1341994878_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-85936900-1342047854_thumb.jpg

A few pics of the final bits of ballasting:

post-10140-0-24949500-1342048356_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-50082300-1342048213_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-42421600-1342048481_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-38038400-1342048586_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-28289900-1342048655_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-76378700-1342048893_thumb.jpg

It has been weathered now - another reason to get some more pictures taken.

Iain

• Like 15

Some more progress, with apologies for the picture quality - I have a new camera which is defeating all efforts to get better pictures and I might be better with the old one!

These are the north end approaches:

post-10140-0-01595300-1342264266_thumb.jpg

Awaiting connection to the next board which will be the final board of the main circuits to be done as it is the board across the door. It was going to be a lifting section but I have decided for reliability to make it fixed.

The south end:

post-10140-0-74511300-1342264389_thumb.jpg

This represents Camden Bank and eventually Euston station but on the model is just a load of pointwork to approach the storage sidings.

post-10140-0-77116100-1342264484_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-95287700-1342264635_thumb.jpg

There is method in my madness of splitting the up and down boards using a jigsaw: it means I can attach both securely and level with the main baseboards but work on these two sections separately.

Up lines into storage sidings under construction:

post-10140-0-00106700-1342265028_thumb.jpg

I've done some more this morning and will get some better photos. I hope.....

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 9

Some further shots of the south approaches:

post-10140-0-82980600-1342280011_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-49063900-1342280256_thumb.jpg

Spot the various props for trackbuilding....

Solder, iron, iron cleaner, pliers, scalpel, files, xurons, blutac, 20p piece, test bogie, mirror, fine forceps, pencil, track rubber, packing card for setting tie bars, roller gauges, check rail gauges and wing rail shim

Out of shot are crossing vee jigs courtesy of gordon s, and my Portsdown switch blade filing jig - between these two items and advice from Gordon and others on here, lies about 95% of the improvement in my trackbuilding skills.

I can't yet get good enough shots of the weathering on the main running lines to show you. If the sun ever pops out it will be a lot easier.

Here is the best I can currently do:

post-10140-0-81474800-1342266919_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-56310800-1342280406_thumb.jpg

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Excellent thread. Even if it is the wrong side of Town - I will be watching this with interest. Thanks for taking the time to share.

• Like 1

Looks like you're building one of my many 'pipe dream' layouts from over the years!

Many years ago, my father acquired some old copies of the Railway Gazette (dated 1937). One of these had an article about modernisation of LMS loco sheds and contained a wonderful pull out diagram featuring three depots that were part of the program - Camden, Longsight and Derby. There were also detailed drawings of the coaling and ashplant towers. I remember pouring over the details for hours and imagining 'what if'. Camden always seemed to be the one of the three that was attainable in model form as it was (is!) quite a compact site, considering the fantastic allocation that was based there.

Looks like a fantastic layout in the making; certainly the appearance of the trackwork completed so far is very convincing, with obvious care to get the ballast looking 'right'. You're in a different league to me when it comes to building the track (points). Despite my current project being from a different era/region, my long term intention is to return to a BR (LMR) steam era prototype so I hope to follow your progress with interest.

LNER4479

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58826-grantham-the-streamliner-years/

(Just passed Camden on my Pendolino - alas not a Duchess or Royal Scot to be seen!)

• Like 2

JeffP, M.I.B. and LNER4479 - thanks all for the interest and encouragement.

I would love to get hold of a copy of that Railway Gazette: thanks for the info and I will get searching!

Iain

Hi Iain,

Fortunately, I have been able to put my hands on the 1937 Railway Gazette article more or less straightaway so please find enclosed for you (and others) to enjoy.

RG article.pdf

Trackplan.pdf

Unfortunately, in my youthful naive-ity I only kept the pages that interested me(!) but it was fortunate that they chose Camden as a 'sample' depot...

Although a full 25 years prior to your era, the pictures give some good general depot detail. And just look how tidy everything is!

post-16151-0-26918400-1342614119_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-02499600-1342614189_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-92488400-1342614215_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-22334500-1342614255_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-78951200-1342614156_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Wow! Thanks so much for that - very kind and exceptionally useful!!

The pictures give some views and details I've not seen before (though you're right, mine will need to look a lot more unkempt!), and both the article and trackplan are very interesting. Both the coaler and ashplant are generic LMS with minor detail differences such as the slight curvature of the coaler.

Priceless stuff - THANK YOU!

Iain

• Like 1

There really was nothing quite like those steam sheds in their heyday and the sequence of photographs, above, illustrate just how incredible these places were. The layout will be a real testament to that place and to those days, even if it is set twenty five years on from the photographs.

I'll look forward to walking up and down row upon row of locomotives, probably on a summer sunday afternoon, when there was almost no sound, save the hissing and dripping from scores of locomotives, many of them the pride of the old LMS and still, then, the pride of the West Coast Main Line. Though you'll struggle to find an excuse for a row of parallel boilered Royal Scots!

Wonderful.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mike,

Many thanks - you're right that there will be no chance of any rows at all of parallel boilered Scots, but there will be a few rebuilt ones eventually. Along with rebuilt patriots, jubilees, fives, coronations and a couple of princess royals......... As I mentioned earlier, there will also be a few BR standards. In reality 71000 was regularly seen at 1B, as were some Britannias. One benefit of the location is that many locos brought trains in from some part further north and west - Crewe, Manchester, Liverpool, N Wales etc - to be turned, coaled and watered before returning. So basically I can fabricate an excuse for quite a few visitors, and have done so already.....! 9Fs were rare though not completely unknown: although there will be only a few of these, this will still be an overstatement of their real life presence.

But I digress...there is a lot to do before that!

An overdue update:

I have done a fair bit although perhaps not quite as much as I would have hoped by now. Starting to see that this is a recurring pattern: everything takes a bit longer than you hope it will.

Still, I'm quite close, I hope, to having a full circuit running. The photos should show that I only have the final bits of pointwork at the entrance to the storage roads to build, plus then connecting the plain peco track in that area and all the associated wiring. So not much then! And I haven't even started the shed area.....

This was a few weeks ago:

post-10140-0-12616700-1346190806_thumb.jpg

This where it is now:

post-10140-0-08491200-1346190826_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-93873800-1346190829_thumb.jpg

I have reused some peco code 75 large radius points here too for the kickback sidings. Only these sidings and their equivalents on the up side to finish on this section.

post-10140-0-02240500-1346190834_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-34907200-1346190842_thumb.jpg

Joining up the code 75 and code 100 peco track in the storage sidings:

I have a load of both from previous layouts and it made sense to recycle it. Once everything is wired and tested I think I will spray the whole lot.....

post-10140-0-53380800-1346190838_thumb.jpg

Code 100 joiner soldered to underside of code 75 rail, then adjacent piece of code 100 fits perfectly in. It leaves the necessary expansion gaps and every piece of rail will have an individual wire.

This is the bridging board across the door - I said I would do this last but it made more sense to do it now.

post-10140-0-97041300-1346190809_thumb.jpg

Control panel: I am using two 12 v dc supplies to power the tortoises, at least partly because that leaves only one wire from each switch to each tortoise. This means it's separate from the DCC system but that's fine by me. It is understandable and easy for me to wire and fault find.

Outside (not yet completed, it needs some labelling of the storage roads and some sort of title). I had the templot sketchboard plan printed up to A2 and then laminated. This was then trimmed, stuck to ply using photomount spray, and then the edging added. Holes drilled for the SPDT switches. It's nothing compared to some of the control panels on here.....

post-10140-0-77777200-1346190818_thumb.jpg

Inside in progress:

Wiring partly done. The green wire is the 0V bus wire which goes round the entire layout to one side of each tortoise, while the red is +12V and the black -12V. The yellow is the switched feed to the other side of each tortoise. I know there are other ways to do this......

post-10140-0-86072300-1346190822_thumb.jpg

This is the final board with templot plans stuck down ready to be timbered up:

post-10140-0-76528500-1346190814_thumb.jpg

Just back from holiday so nothing done for the last three weeks, but will chip away at it in the weeks to come.

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 7

Wow, I know you said you had done a bit before you went away, but you really have cracked on! The control panel looks very professional and glad to see you went down the dual power supply route as it does simplify the wiring between the desk and layout.

Still a few turnouts to build by the look of it....

• 1 month later...

Well, not a huge amount of "chipping away at it" has actually happened over the last few weeks. Have had one Sunday off work in 8 weeks, apart from that I've worked every single day and most evenings. I'm very fortunate that I enjoy what I do but "knackered" would barely scratch the surface!

However, I probably accumulated about 10 hours' work on the layout in total and then some more this morning. I'll post a picture or two to show that I've completed 10 of the 11 turnouts at the north end of the storage yard, plus a decent portion of the plain track. The speed of turnout building has increased, partly because I prefabricated all the vees while I borrowed Gordon's filing jig during the summer. Very close to having a full circuit now....which means I will be able to run some trains while building the shed area.

I have a LOT of wiring to do now!

Iain

• Like 1