Large building kits, city centre style

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has successfully found anykits that could be used and bashed to represent a UK city centre.

On my plank I am thinking of making it look like the approaches to a large city, such as the paddington approaches in the 80s,

I am struggling to find anything usable, but understand some have bashed kibri/faller/walther designs to look uk-esque.

Any help appreciated, as I don't think my architectural skills are up to scratch building such things.

Have a look at Walther's website, they stock a wide range of kits that could be bashed to look UKish. I have used DPM resin kits in the past and just purchased a few more via ebay last night. Although HO, they are large enough to pass as 4mm scale. While some design features are more American, like narrow upper floor windows, they do remind me of the buildings in parts of Bath and Bristol before the developers moved in. I find that US kits require less work to Anglicise them than European ones.

I'd second Jules' comments. For an industrial building look at 'George Roberts Printing' and for other urban buildings 'Worthington Hotel' and 'The Daily Examiner', all Walthers, can be readily anglicised.

You didn't say whether OO or N.

Many of these buildings can be cut up for low relief, so two, or more, for the price of one.

I have found it sometimes cheaper to order direct from Walther's as their international postage rates are very reasonable. Just hope they avoid customs.

Kibri do a number of good industrial buildings which anglicise without much difficulty, I'll try and post some photos when I'm at home of ones I've done. I also did Fallers brewery building by splicing it down the middle and using it as a long low releif building.

Some of the Kibri town centre shop buildings can anglicise quite well although you need to be careful with the ones you choose.

The Faller town buildings are more difficult to anglicise and hide their European origins. I did this with one building but by the time I had finished not much of the original kit was left. Again I'll try and post some photos.

The walthers buildings, particular the Cornerstone and DPM buildings will work for two and three storey shops and "Red Devil" on his Grime Street blog has done this quite well by adding pitched rooves, chimneys and plenty of soot.

Loads!

Here's two I'm currently working on, This is a Walthers Argossy Booksellers with a bit of Merchants Row 2, angled to fit a difficut corner, still very much work in progress, pitched roof on, slates to add, some painting started (red oxide primer etc)

post-7067-0-96367000-1329741915_thumb.jpg

Another good one, perhaps not for you is Middlesex Manufacturing by Atlas, just started on this one, big Victorian style industrial building

post-7067-0-31725100-1329742029_thumb.jpg

The entire street on my 'Grime Street' layout was made from anglicised DPM kits.

Edited by Red Devil
  • Like 3

Another one that I've acquired recently is this Model Power kit, I've not seen it stocked in the UK before and this one came from the states is this building under demolition,

post-7067-0-67033700-1329742822_thumb.jpg

post-7067-0-12407200-1329742841_thumb.jpg

Don't know where or what I'm going to do with it yet! It's pretty basic and probably not as good a moulding as either the DPM or Waltheres kits, but it does give a start and for the cost is pretty good.

Thank you one and all,

very interesting.

I like the large industrial building, under construction by the red devil - thats the sort of thing I'm after - OO gauge, sorry forgot to mention.

The kingsmill website also looks worth a look.

Thanks again

Thank you one and all,

very interesting.

I like the large industrial building, under construction by the red devil - thats the sort of thing I'm after - OO gauge, sorry forgot to mention.

The kingsmill website also looks worth a look.

Thanks again

The Atlas Middlesex Manufacturing kit should be available from Gaugemaster in the Uk, about £30 odd if I remember, it was cheaper than getting it from the US, it's approx 15 inches long so if used in low relief would make a very big building.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has successfully found anykits that could be used and bashed to represent a UK city centre.

On my plank I am thinking of making it look like the approaches to a large city, such as the paddington approaches in the 80s,

Hi Rob

Have a look at the DPM modular system - website here:

http://woodlandsceni...gory/DPMHOScale

You can download the planning pack FOR FREE from here:

http://woodlandsceni...show/item/30191

The planning pack can be printed so that a mock-up of a proposed structure can be made in advance of purchasing the kits.

Here is an example of what can be done - a shopping centre in low relief (it is about 3 feet long):

post-5673-0-83037900-1329752740.jpg

The Walthers Cornerstone range is also worth looking at as the buildings are easily kitbashed - the Greatland Sugar Refinery makes a great late Victorian warehouse for example.

Regards.

• Like 2

Two on ebay that may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-HO-SCALE-DPM-LARGE-4-1-MODULAR-KIT-INDUSTRY-WAREHOUSE-MISP-352-/220957817111?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item33721cb917

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-HO-OO-SCALE-DPM-LARGE-TERA-SURPLUS-WINDOW-WAREHOUSE-MODEL-KIT-MISP-355-/220957824486?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item33721cd5e6

Someone else has the second kit at a bin price of 45.95. :O

There was also a modular kit of a factory/warehouse and a two storey extension that was typical of this type of structure the world over from the '20s.

Can't remember the maker or find them in any shops, but they do appear on ebay from time to time.

Further to my earlier post these are some shots of my old layout showing how I've used some kits to make larger city centre buildings.

post-7075-0-36687500-1329847894_thumb.jpg

This first one shows the Kibri factory. The sides from one kit were used to make two buildings as the back and one side of each building was either against the backscene or facing away from the viewer and so could be modelled in plain plasticcard. Otherwise the kit was built as is. I've seen this same model stretched out on some layouts to great effect, It makes a much larger factory about two foot long and about an inch and a half wide. Behind is the faller brewery kit spliced and made into a longer building. Foreground right is the Walthers gas plant, and background left is another Walthers backscene warehouse.

post-7075-0-61953500-1329847865_thumb.jpg

The two corner buildings on this one started out as two faller corner hotel/chemist shops. There were anglicised by throwing away the shop fronts and building more English facades. The whole model was lifted about a 10 mm or so to give a bit more height. Tha panels in the walls were replaced with slaters embossed brick to give the effect of a brick and terracotta building so beloved of the Victorians. I also replaced the corner turrets and the roof of each kit, but these could be kept and more robust chimneys added. The centre of the building was scratchbuilt as was theatre building behind. I've got some more of these kits and intend eventually to do the same thing with them to produce a Parade of victorian shops in the same vein, possible with a central arcade.

post-7075-0-14433900-1329847879_thumb.jpg

This shot shows two kits I was trying out. The shorter turreted shop is a Kibri kit, which can be built more or less as is, but with perhaps more English chimneys. The larger square building is a faller kit which is being built more or less as is, but I intent to replace the plaster effect panels between the windows with more embossed brickwork.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
Guest jim s-w

Any help appreciated, as I don't think my architectural skills are up to scratch building such things.

Can I ask how you ever hope to get them improved if you dont try? Why not have a go - just some sheets of plasticard and foambard to waste if it goes wrong and you might surprise yourself and enjoy it.

Never base your layout aspirations on what you know now. Aim for what you truly want and accept that you will have to learn stuff along the way.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Never base your layout aspirations on what you know now. Aim for what you truly want and accept that you will have to learn stuff along the way.

And then surprise yourself in just how easy it was ;)

I'm itching to get round to trying something like Resin casting but everything else I've tried I've come away with "That wasn't hard" and "That was fun"...

I now scratch build my own chassis, model in any material I can lay my hands on, mix medias, scratchbuild - the works. If I can do it, no reason rob can't!!

Another one that I've acquired recently is this Model Power kit, I've not seen it stocked in the UK before and this one came from the states is this building under demolition,

Don't know where or what I'm going to do with it yet! It's pretty basic and probably not as good a moulding as either the DPM or Waltheres kits, but it does give a start and for the cost is pretty good.

I believe the Model Power kits are reboxed Heljan kits (they certainly come from one of the European manufacturers). There may be a deal that they don't ship wholesale to the UK to avoid competing directly against the manufacturer.

Adrian