1935 Streamlined Stock

Bill

By the way, you have a great collection of LT posters on you web site. It almost looks like you raided the LT Museum's collection for them. Where did you get them?

They were collected from all over the web many years before I discovered the LT museums website - which would have saved me a lot of time and effort. But then I might never have gone on the hunt and turned up some or the real gems that the LT museum have missed.. :)

Certainly turning into an interesting thread. I got the wrong idea about service use from a conversation I had with Natalie (hence her post).

Am myself looking forward to the Acton open day again next month.

They were collected from all over the web many years before I discovered the LT museums website - which would have saved me a lot of time and effort. But then I might never have gone on the hunt and turned up some or the real gems that the LT museum have missed.. :)

Last year at the Acton Open Day there was a tour round the poster collection. We only saw a small proportion of that was there. However the tour also included a tour of the original artworks from which the posters were prepared. Some of the artwork was directly transferred to the poster, such as the "POWER" poster, whilst others were changed quite substantially.

If you ever get the chance, do go round the poster and artwork collection.

• RMweb Gold

On an aside - this for some strange reason is one of my favourite posters...

Strange? I think not. A typical product of a particularly clever and pro-active publicity machine in tune with the times. Willow pattern was on every dining table in that era. I share your admiration for their posters, their designs, their quality ethos.

A pity I live so far away and cannot time visits to Britain to coincide with Acton's open days.

They are good. I'll be taking photos on the day (well whichever day that is I go). I'll likely post them in the galleries.

• RMweb Premium

A pity I live so far away and cannot time visits to Britain to coincide with Acton's open days.

My thoughts exactly Jeff and the more frustrating in that I shall actually be over there shortly. Not in time for the big open day but had I not already got a full diary for the days in question I might have managed one of the guided tour dates. It would have been nice to also exert some elbow grease on "our" (SEG Preservation Ltd's) 4Cor DMBT but that will have to go to Shepherdswell before any more is done to it as LUL require their full site for their own purposes for the next year or so at least.

An interesting topic indeed. Firstly my apologies to Kelly as it was my comment to her about the streamlined units not being used in passenger service that was the basis of her post- and thanks to Keith for his correcting post. This caused me to take a look at my books- '1938 Tube Stock' Piers Connor and 'Underground no 10- 1935 Experimental Tube Stock' Brian Hardy & Piers Connor and make some notes which I hope are of interest. Essentially Keith has posted the salient points....

Natalie - thank you again for this posting. I have managed to locate on the web (via abebooks - terrific website) an almost new copy of "1938 tube stock by Piers Connor" for less than its cover price. It is a really useful book, it sheds a lot of light on a rather obscure subject. (I doubt if more than a few living people have ever heard of the experimental stock :) ). It is richly illustrated and well worth the trouble to get hold of. :good:

Archived