Rolling Road Loco Test Bed

bogieman

Can anyone advise me on making or purchasing a rolling road test bed for 2mm FS locos.

I've tried one sold for N gauge locos and although it's fine with wide N gauge drivers, my 2mm scale loco has wheels that seem too thin to stay on the rollers.

Any bright ideas?

I use a length of track with a lump of wood at each end, and just run the loco along it, sometimes run it skidding into the buffer.

Since getting into DCC and rail electronics, this is now augmented with sensors which will auto-reverse the loco.

( and why has RMWeb shrunk the font size ??)

I've heard good things about the Bachrus range - linky thing here. (no connection to manufacturer or trader).

Andy

I've got a set of the Bachrus saddles...seem to work perfectly OK with the Assn drop-in wheelsets, but haven't tried with a steam loco yet.

Ian

I've got a set of the Bachrus saddles...seem to work perfectly OK with the Assn drop-in wheelsets, but haven't tried with a steam loco yet.

Ian

Yes I've tried the Bachrus and fine for 7mm, 4mm and N but not too happy with finescale 2mm drivers, keeps falling sideways and off, that's why I asked really.

I have a full set if Bachrus saddles and stirrups and have never had a problem with them. You need to gauge them accurately for 9.42mm and then set them at the exact wheelbase for the loco in question.

Even my rewheeled Farish steamers with old Ballantine wheel sets (which are somewhat wobbly!) are ok in the saddles and will run-in happily for hours without de-saddling.

Edward S

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the bachrus saddle (40 series). I've set mine up on a small bit of board with two thick strips of nickel silver acting as the rails just to make a more sturdy base. Edward's comments about gauging and position definitely apply, but I too have had my two steam locos working happily on them for hours at a time.

Simon

I've taken all advice given and tried Bachrus again and yes they do work on fine scale 2mm locos. I've discovered the problem though, the rollers sit about a mm higher than the plain unrollered piece so that my 0-4-4T that has the bogie sitting on the plain fitting, is tipped back so that the front driver doesn't sit on the roller, hence the problem.

Has anyone else checked with a steel rule along two sets of rollers to see if it's the same height as the plain fitting?

No problem if the plain fitting is holding a tender, but in the case of the 0-4-4T it appears to be.

I guess a strip of metal attached to the top of plain fitting will solve the problem, but interested to know if it's just mine.

All the trucks/bogies on my locos have loads of vertical travel and so are self adjusting. I have never noticed a height difference 'twixt saddle and stirrup but will check next time I have them out.

Edward S

I've always found that a problem with rolling roads is that it doesn't "exercise" the bogie and tender wheels, and on handmade 2mm models they can sometimes be a bit tight at first. I find a shuttle with electronic control of reversing does a good job. And it looks more interesting as well as enabling you to run in a wagon or coach.

About 40 years ago I had a shuttle cotrolled by a beam of light each end but it got broken when I lent it to someone. It could be used on any scale and any length of track as it was portable.

I then used a commercial system that depended on a loco crossing some sort of isolated section which was a bit dodgy plus timing controls within the electronics and as a result fixed to a piece of track on a board. That seems to have gone past it's sell by date.

So my question is (as I know nothing about electronics) where can I get a really simple shuttle control that's portable onto any length of track.

Plus can you shuttle a DCC loco given that the track is AC (I think).

So my question is (as I know nothing about electronics) where can I get a really simple shuttle control that's portable onto any length of track.

Plus can you shuttle a DCC loco given that the track is AC (I think).

Yes to both. With DC, there are several makers of such devices.

With DCC, its more complex and a "it depends" sort of answer....

a) Digitrax, ESU and NCE command stations, there are reasonably cheap add-on bits of hardware which will do it.

b ) Any other command station with an interface to the JMRI software running on cheap computer can do it. (So that's most of the market in the UK except for Bachmann Dynamis and Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy).

c) Any command station, no computers, but have to use Lenz silver/gold decoders.

Trouble with ( c ) is that they are not the best decoders for 2mm locos, so I would discard it.

- Nigel

Yes to both. With DC, there are several makers of such devices.

- Nigel

That's interesting to know Nigel, it's just that when I "Googled" I didn't find any although I have since found that Gaugemaster do one..

With DCC it sounds like it might be too complicated although worth looking into. Is there anywhere that one can read up a bit about it.

But until then I'll just run locos in DC before fitting decoder.

Archived