Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

A bit of low resolution modelling today. The NLR trains have to leave the layout somewhere at the back and so they scurry under an implausible footbridge at Maiden Lane station, right on the back scene.  This is a good 6’ from the viewing public. A placeholder structure was made to represent the bridge and the outline of the station. 
9249C69A-A120-4B26-B865-2A0D5408BA2E_zps

I felt this needed a bit more substance and so a bit of light relief adding some strip styrene, paper windows and daubs of paint. It isn’t very accurate, but it captures some of the solidity of a NLR station building. 
FDB82A84-1205-4B80-80A6-744CA05CD2D7_zps
it sits on quite a tall plinth, so it will be interesting to see how it looks when it goes on the layout this Thursday.   The theory is that the relatively interesting building will draw the eye from the understated footbridge...  I think that buildings this far back on the layout do not want to be perfectly painted, there needs to be a bit of Impressionism in style - a bit woolly. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodbye old friend. 
0DFC22E6-4F89-4894-A6F6-50F8028E4F54_zps

When we started surveying Belle Isle to make CF in 1983, the Ebonite Tower still existed: it was demolished soon after.  Ebonite was a hard vulcanised rubber material (like vulcanite: Jim will know of this).  The tower was a feature in the background of many of the classic railway photos of the 1950s & 60s.  
However, not long ago, we discovered that up until 1955 (a very good year) it had been the works of Tylors, who made hydraulic and sanitary ware products.   The tower acted as a chimney and also supported  a water tank for pressure testing their products. 
6AF57A92-315F-431E-8471-EDBA2ADDDE0C_zps

The company moved away from KX to south of the river.  Interestingly, we have ‘Tyler’s Sanitary Ware’ products advertised on some of the lower buildings (clearly mis-spelt Tyler- soon to be corrected). 
Some artwork was made up using PowerPoint, saved as a photo, re-imported to PowerPoint and stretched  vertically to make the font fit the required dimensions.  The colour is conjecture, but blue seemed appropriate for hydraulic equipment. 
394D6819-F27B-46C5-94AC-7F4A9577985D_zps

The tower itself was mocked up many years ago by Mike Randall from a lump of mahogany. He has subsequently made some laser-cut & etched sides for it which were fitted a couple of years ago. 

Loosing the Ebonite Tower is the end of an era - wonder how long it will take for the new name to catch on. 

Tim

• Like 15

14 hours ago, CF MRC said:

However, not long ago, we discovered that up until 1955 (a very good year) it had been the works of Tylors, who made hydraulic and sanitary ware products.   The tower acted as a chimney and also supported  a water tank for pressure testing their products. 
6AF57A92-315F-431E-8471-EDBA2ADDDE0C_zps

The colour is conjecture, but blue seemed appropriate for hydraulic equipment. 
394D6819-F27B-46C5-94AC-7F4A9577985D_zps

Tylor's catalogues were bound in a rather deeper blue colour board and I suspect that that was the colour on the tower too, it certainly looks dark in the aerial photograph. I certainly don't expect you to redo it - but sooner or later someone will come along and say "My grand-dad worked for Tylor's and.................."

1467547151_JTylorSonsLtdCatalogue.jpg.2fa0b764e5eeeaa66787dc97c349c760.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All set up ready for Barry Norman to photograph the layout.  
6DD54B27-FB4E-4D30-9598-C5F1E716450E_zps

The whole Belle Isle area is now a great deal more ‘busy’ and I think railway-like. 
D0D51440-C526-4DD5-AE60-9CD167449084_zps

The  south end has filled in a bit but there is still a long way to go. 
0A185D88-6B32-4321-A5EE-3105506D34A8_zps

Maiden Lane station works better, but it now highlights the need for a little more detail in the neighbouring buildings, but not too much 
The newly-labelled TYLOR tower has become quite a centrepiece, as it is a little more colourful than hitherto. 
AE875BF2-4EF9-4C6F-83E3-93485DCCE894_zps

The layout will crate up on Sunday and then to Ally Pally 21st-22nd March. 

Tim

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The back scene consists of three very large sheets of 4mm plywood which slot into the back of the layout. I can just reach to the back of the layout for the NLR bridge if I stand on a small box, but I am quite tall and have long arms. The back scene and reduced scale / perspective modelling  is probably what makes the layout unique. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tim may be too modest to highlight this, but in the BRMA "Copenhagen Fields" won the Gold award for best layout,

119692927_BMRAGoldWinner.jpg.9049b0d7d78beabc65c9d02ecc6f6baf.jpg

and this little blog the bronze in best RMweb modeller category - both in really strong categories.

141109113_BMRABronzeWinner.jpg.f7f895453b2a24692da9702691d02243.jpg

Congratulations to Tim, Mike and the whole team (too many to list - but they know who they are) from everyone at The MRC

Edited by tc
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3

I was going to compare CF to a fine wine, which it is, ie it matures with age. But I think it’s best quality is it’s selective restraint. Adding enough detail to be realistic but not so much as to be cluttered or unrealistic. A rare skill which combined with superlative model making makes CF a beacon layout. And in 2mm!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting footnote to Tim's post. The sleepers I used for the detail are those designed and made in the 1960s by Denys Brownlee.  Produced in his home-made injection moulding machine.  Perfect for this kind of thing.  Solid plastic all the way through so they can be distressed quite well. I didn't bother too much with these as they are a long way from the viewer.

Easitrack sleepers have a different design of mould. While they make really good track, they're not quite so good for representing discarded sleepers as there's a small hole underneath the chair.

As for the level of detail, the "aerial" photos expose the way the buildings at the back of the layout are very much simplified and reduced in places to simple plywood profiles. One of the lessons we learned quite quickly after starting the layout was the need for recession of detail, colour and scale towards the rear of the layout.  You might not think it but it saved us a lot of construction time! 

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Magazines often do not want pictures that show simplified models such as those at the rear of CF or holes in the sky at exit points but for us modellers it is instructive to see the difference between normal viewing when the subtefuges go unoticed and these close ups. The artist taking over from the engineer. A wonderful layout.

Don

• Agree 2

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Donw said:

Magazines often do not want pictures that show simplified models

A bit of a generalisation; when I'm photographing a layout I also like to record how an effect is achieved, not just the outcome of the effect.

• Like 2