Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Mark,

it is a pity you did not get the same angle shot as the B&W photo shown earlier, so a proper comparison could be made.

These were quick unplanned grab shots so you'll simply have to accept them as they are.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

A bit of a generalisation; when I'm photographing a layout I also like to record how an effect is achieved, not just the outcome of the effect.

Guilty of generalisation as charged. There was a time when the magazines seemed to be full of very well taken close ups but didn't give me the feel of how the layout fitted together. The pendulum may have swung back a bit.  I like to see a mix of close ups but also other photos showing the layout as a whole.  You do take some cracking shots Andy. Hope to see you at Staplegrove in April.

Don

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The recent improvement in detail to Maiden Lane Station showed up the scenic flats next to it.

0A185D88-6B32-4321-A5EE-3105506D34A8_zps
I therefore dug out Brian Dollemore’s original 1996 drawings of our terraced houses and made an 80% copy which was then mounted on thin ply and hand painted.

DAF89CF2-03C0-4BF5-A52B-E8F8E43BC439_zps

The effect on the layout is satisfactory, especially when viewed from five feet away. 
E4B84125-6103-4519-B026-C17BC2D7B075_zps

The strange chimney pot on the station building is actually a hole in the back scene, through which an iPad peers, so that the operators can see the front. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 23/02/2020 at 09:33, CF MRC said:

This view from the Luftwaffe archives held at the Smithsonian may help Ian. 
A9BDE98E-1B52-4422-AE71-4B03202DB35B_zps

Tim

G'day Folks

Viewing the above picture, I was surprised how close the headshunt, of the yard above Copenhagen tunnel, is to the 'Other' end of Copenhagen tunnelmouth, with a little more effort (and money), it could have joined the Down Slow at Holloway.

manna

• RMweb Premium

When we originally looked at making a model of the area we started using a small sized OS map and assumed that the two did indeed join.  The Luftwaffe were flying a Heinkel 1/144 when this photo was taken...

Tim

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, east barnet andy said:

damn shame Ally Pally is cancelled/postponed.

Please , Tim , occasionally send details of progress made and snaps , , otherwise i'll get  CF withdrawal symptoms ! ( if no others ! )

Regards

EB Andy.  

MRJ 278 (which has just gone to the printers) has a couple of wonderful pictures from the recent photo shoot by Barry Norman as a prelude to a full article, and lots more pictures, in MRJ 279.

Jerry

• Like 6

1 hour ago, east barnet andy said:

thanks for the info , old chap ; as soon as it hits the shelves i'll rush down to the newsagent  ( if I'm allowed out of my house ) !!!

No worries on that score for me as I have it on subscription.  Interestingly the small newsagent here in Biggar has it on his shelf, along with other model railway magazines.  Must ask him who buys it.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2020 at 19:00, Caley Jim said:

No worries on that score for me as I have it on subscription.  Interestingly the small newsagent here in Biggar has it on his shelf, along with other model railway magazines.  Must ask him who buys it.

Jim

"These newsagents are small, the ones outside are Biggar"

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• 4 months later...

Is he a West Country farm terrier?  We had this one for 17½ years.  Superb with livestock, loved children, cats, beating up GSDs and killing vermin.  He is looking worried because he's playing "I can't swim" game; someone will wade out to save him; then Toddy will swim out to the next rock.  We described him as a silky Jack Russell, his coat was too long for smooth and too soft for rough.  Bill

TODDY_2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

York Road tube station is making steady progress: there are many different detailing levels and frills on a Leslie Green-designed London Underground building.  The front walls are only loosely fitted at present, as there is a massive amount of work still needed on them.  The 3D printed details should come alive once they are sprayed with undercoat. 
74C95DFF_989D_4203_8C6A_B4518B197A6E.jpe
Now the question for the knowledgable types is this: what is in the front room of the building under York Road   Station signage? I have enhanced a previous image to show what looks like a rack on the back wall and maybe a showcase close to the nearer window.

(edited)_C510B3D9_CA14_4E45_8575_D284AC9

The only overall drawing I have of the station shows a narrow room and, regrettably, does not include a plan view.  
16C93442_BBC0_4903_B296_4EDB79A211C5.jpe

A sign inside the concourse points to a ticket office, which would be where the room is, but the security would be very poor for such a use. 

15D8D097_27EB_4671_92AD_365FEF920553.jpe

Over to you, for erudite suggestions. Whatever we decide upon, Jo Public will never see it, but the Up & Down Main Lines operator at the South end will. 

Tim

• Like 2

Hi Tim,

I found this: i0000e7l.jpg

but the resolution is poor - I presume the original is at the LT archive or museum?  Not sure if a) I'm teaching you to suck eggs by finding it as it maybe in your collection already or even b) if it would help?

Cheers

Kevin

PS - having had a better look around the LTM site, it would appear they do have some drawings which maybe useful, just not on the web.  From Down Here I don't know how easy it would be to get see the relevant drawings and decide if they'd be useful.

Edited by Sithlord75
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The only overall drawing I have of the station shows a narrow room and, regrettably, does not include a plan view. 

The pre-feasibility study done in 2005 about potentially re-opening the station has a section on its original configuration.

As well as a copy of the drawing you already have, there is also a good clear plan of the ground floor on page 9.

The room in question is indeed a ticket office.

You can download the report here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/232988/response/579527/attach/3/Technical Pre feasibility Report revised april.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kevin & Nick, you’re stars!  I had not found the coloured original plans which are very pretty, but had found a version of the Halcrow report, presumably truncated for a different audience and without the plan.  I did not get a lot of help from LT this time; the drawing lists don’t give much guidance as to content.  35 years ago I went along to the plans office and inspected the drawings for the Cally in person. I will need to modify the entrance lobbies and first floor a bit, but it does all make sense now. 
F5736DA5_43DB_4232_B9B0_3D871E14E581.jpe

Tim

Edited by CF MRC