Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I had not found the coloured original plans which are very pretty, but had found a version of the Halcrow report, presumably truncated for a different audience and without the plan.

The version of the Halcrow report I gave a link to makes reference to an Appendix B - existing drawings.

A chap called William Perrin was given access to the content of this appendix by TFL in 2008, and has put low resolution copies of the drawings on-line here:

https://northkingscross.typepad.co.uk/photos/york_road_tube_drawings/index.html

It was a post of his on the Kings Cross Environment community website that led me to the Halcrow report.

These probably won't give you any additional useful information, but they are there for completeness. It appears that one of the drawings in the appendix  was used as the basis for the re-drawn version included in the body of the report.

I fully expect to see the toilet cubicles correctly modelled now you know how they were arranged... there's a nice reference photo of the Gent's urinals half way down this page: http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/York_Road_station.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You should take up this researching business for a living, you know, Nick...  

The extra drawings have been really helpful in getting the front rooms more correct. 
3593A6C7_8356_471B_B497_8FD84B1E0CC7.jpe
CD1D103D_E46B_4A1E_AD73_8D1396E114B9.jpe
The changes don’t look that much, but it makes the building much more plausible. I will probably draw up some artwork for the interiors, but I’m afraid that the urinals will not be modelled as the structure is sliced through by the front of the layout. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 hours ago, CF MRC said:

..... but I’m afraid that the urinals will not be modelled as the structure is sliced through by the front of the layout. 

Just watch where you're standing , lads, or it could be painful! :o:jester:

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I’m afraid that the urinals will not be modelled as the structure is sliced through by the front of the layout. 

Now if this was a German layout, that would have provided the perfect excuse for a lewd cameo.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

As a change from looking at photos taken in Gents toilets, I've been staring again at the enhanced exterior photo from a few posts ago.

Tim - you suggested there might be a rack against the back wall of the room.

Could this actually be a roll down security grille behind the windows?

It would make sense in light of your comment that the location would not be very secure for a ticket office?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nick Mitchell said:

As a change from looking at photos taken in Gents toilets, I've been staring again at the enhanced exterior photo from a few posts ago.

Tim - you suggested there might be a rack against the back wall of the room.

Could this actually be a roll down security grille behind the windows?

It would make sense in light of your comment that the location would not be very secure for a ticket office?

Any grill would almost certainly have been a permanent one but it is certainly a possibility, a probability even.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The pilasters and entrance bits on the tube station are nearing completion, apart from some of the decorative motifs.  There are about fifty components involved with each opening as there are many layers involved: thank goodness for Evergreen strips. At the top of the pilaster there is a prominent ridge that raps around the sides. This was made by putting two stop cuts across the top of the pilaster and then using a very fine chisel to remove the material between. 
4095B62F_3F49_4DC6_9C5A_73CC4A7124B7.jpe

The chisel is literally razor sharp and comes from Japan. 
https://www.ebay.com/p/2134870965

They are eye wateringly expensive, especially the very small versions, but I have a colleague at Guys who can get them when he goes to Tokyo - still expensive though. 
DA819231_F720_4CDE_818E_7987026942BE.jpe

With the trough made a little strip of styrene was inserted. 
1774A05D_CD25_4326_9626_2EEF3B265A4F.jpe
The front walls are beginning to look a bit better now, but I had quite forgotten how much work was involved in making a tube station. It will be interesting to compare it with its older brother, when complete. 

Tim

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

• RMweb Gold

Out now and in your local newsagent soon is MRJ 279, the 2mm special edition featuring a fascinating article by the Prof on over thirty years working on CF - get on with it chaps!!

Lots of other 2mm content as well.

Jerry

20200805_170513.jpg.c5484310ac55b7901a8ef13d54916862.jpg

20200805_170558.jpg.e7796ba5f0516152e8a628b7206f8064.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, queensquare said:

Out now and in your local newsagent soon is MRJ 279, the 2mm special edition featuring a fascinating article by the Prof on over thirty years working on CF - get on with it chaps!!

Lots of other 2mm content as well.

Jerry

20200805_170513.jpg.c5484310ac55b7901a8ef13d54916862.jpg

20200805_170558.jpg.e7796ba5f0516152e8a628b7206f8064.jpg

Like a good malt, it matures / improves (?) with age...

Look forward to seeing the issue. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quite a busy time over the last 24 hrs. The front walls were sprayed last night with a variety of tube-like colours. The cement courses were then scribed in with a pair of dividers, through to the white styrene. 
503FA2AF_12DB_4795_8DC1_9B39A3D2AA7E.jpe

Jim’s windows were also sprayed with a dark brown cellulose colour and then lightly weathered (not the most inspiring photograph).
FD973181_29A2_4E90_A8DD_80414B7E3D04.jpe

I didn’t want to assemble the front walls onto the structural shell until the interiors were a little more advanced. However, the two corners at the front will need dressing and touching in - a job better done before final assembly with the interiors present.  I have therefore glued the three front walls together with impact adhesive against the shell, but with cling film over the relevant parts of the shell so that it can be removed.  The observant amongst you will notice that the ceramic station name boards / entrance & exit signs were also painted in, whilst in the flat - quite a tedious job. 
1DBD0BD0_40B6_4B02_A2C2_5DAA1D29AEC7.jpe
As I write this, the whole assembly is bandaged up with elastic bands to hold it stable while the glue sets. With a bit of luck tomorrow, it should all come apart where required and the front facade will then be stuck to a base so that the corners can be worked on. Thence the interiors, roof details, chimneys and south end brick detailing. 

All-in-all a quite long-winded way of making a building, but it allows progress on various components without manoeuvring oneself into a constructional corner. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

14 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

The glazing contractor turned up today and made the front of York Road tube station weather proof (thank you Jim).

You're welcome, Tim.  An honour to have contributed in a small way to CF.

I'm pleased with the way the various depths and thicknesses of the window framing have turned out, also that doorway beside the exit.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1