Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

I think a sliced building above ground would be interesting, but would detract from observation and photography of the scene behind it.  There is also insufficient information as to usage of the offices on the first floor to make a convincing model. 

Once the back is complete there might be a case for a removable section through the gents urinal, out of deference to Nick (see earlier post in this thread). 

The outline of the lift shafts might be indicated on the model and possibly the platform cross passages. 

Tim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garethashenden said:

Instead of completing the building, would it be better/possible to remove the wall and model the interior? Since the layout slices through the building it could be a cool effect to see inside in that way. Then maybe a piece of plexiglas for safety.

I really like this idea!

2 hours ago, bécasse said:

"Slicing" a building in this way, and modelling the exposed interior, is commonplace on layouts in France, at least from HO upwards - and rarely any plexiglass for safety. (Barriers of any sort are rare at exhibitions in France, visitors, even young ones, keep back of their own accord. I did once have a lady just touch something by accident while explaining something to her kids, it was only the lightest touch and certainly did no damage, but she spent the next five minutes apologising.)

I suspect the protection would be more important when it comes to protecting from operators, especially when assembling/disassembling, rather than from the public!

4 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The track boards joining up with Caledonian Road would be made with a maximum length <8’ long and be locked into / travel in the underside of the big fiddle yard board (although they could be removed when that megalith is being shifted).  

I hadn't quite clocked that you intended to make it join up functionally with the Caley Road station, Tim! That does sound like a potential nightmare to rig up and level the underground track - but also, a seriously impressive feature that I'm sure the general public, and especially kids, would LOVE!

Might it be more practical to have it set up as a "false" through train though? Tube train disappears southbound from Caledonian Road, stops in headshunt, and remotely triggers an identical tube train to appear from equal and opposite head shunt at York Road? 

(Shouldn't be too difficult to design and print some new tube train bodies to fit on KATO tram chassis, as per recent rebuild of the original one?)

The station board could travel in any of the other suitable boxes.

Those Tardis like boxes ;) 

• RMweb Premium

There has been quite a lot of planning and pondering over the last few days. The station building is definitely going up to near full size (The rear extension is well underway) but the ground floor at the back may have a see-through component, including the ladies toilet, escape stairs and lift lobby.  This is expeditious, as it saves working out what actually went on in that area outside and keeps the station a bit narrower: the plans are quite ambiguous in this region. 

I have recently discovered that suicide pits were only dug form 1934-5 and so we can lift the dodgy station track at Caledonian Road station and replace it with plain. This should improve reliability significantly. Many discussions are being had about how to make the tunnel track and the overall logistics of the project.  It’s all a bit tight down there. 
1F820DDA_CB59_48D2_B74B_DAE68A34EADA.jpe

Watch this space...

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

We have had further planning discussions with Mike Randall and Richard Wilson which, along with the acquisition of this 1909 signalling diagram (courtesy a contact of Doug Rose), have opened up useful possibilities for the UndegrounD on CF. 
BF3D13FA_402D_428A_BE90_45F8B1968FBC.jpe

The crossover to the north of YR was capable of bi-directional running; but in particular, it would enable a southbound train to terminate at the station and then return northwards on the down line using the crossover, back to Caledonian Road.  This would avoid the need for a fiddle yard at the Kings Cross end, when exhibiting the complete layout and also at Keen House, where the layout cannot get any longer. Obviously  a major incident at KX...
This photo has been marked up to show the two stations (Yellow), the crossover (dark blue) a the visible track (red).

33A49B7D_C3D8_4524_AC20_91810304E141.jpe
The new tube layout would add about 3” extra width along the front of the layout (redline). 
I think this will transform the layout and make it much more representative of London’s transport in the early 30’s.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

We have had further planning discussions with Mike Randall and Richard Wilson which, along with the acquisition of this 1909 signalling diagram (courtesy a contact of Doug Rose), have opened up useful possibilities for the UndegrounD on CF. 
BF3D13FA_402D_428A_BE90_45F8B1968FBC.jpe

The crossover to the north of YR was capable of bi-directional running; but in particular, it would enable a southbound train to terminate at the station and then return northwards on the down line using the crossover, back to Caledonian Road.  This would avoid the need for a fiddle yard at the Kings Cross end, when exhibiting the complete layout and also at Keen House, where the layout cannot get any longer. Obviously  a major incident at KX...
This photo has been marked up to show the two stations (Yellow), the crossover (dark blue) a the visible track (red).

33A49B7D_C3D8_4524_AC20_91810304E141.jpe
The new tube layout would add about 3” extra width along the front of the layout (redline). 
I think this will transform the layout and make it much more representative of London’s Transport in the early 30’s.

Tim

Topsy ? 

I have seen it twice both times relaxed viewings   GJLC Expo Oxford and  when set up running at a 2mm AGM ,  always stunned and in awe ( especially when my own pathetic effort was shown opposite )

Nick B 

12 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I think this will transform the layout and make it much more representative of London’s transport in the early 30’s.

You need a lot more trams for that, Tim. plus General NS buses on route 14 (there were 77 rostered Mon-Fri and with a 64 minute running time that makes one every two minutes in each direction).

• RMweb Premium

Our tram on the Cally does a sterling  job, David, with a service intensity that transport managers could only dream of.  Buses are there also, of course, but unlikely to move.  It’s a well known fact that when people make comments about what CF needs, they generally get given the job: are you up for a General NS bus?

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Funny 2

It’s a well known fact that when people make comments about what CF needs, they generally get given the job

Hmmm, in that case, I think CF would Really good in early 70’s mode. 

Let me know how many Deltics you require. ;)

(Excellent and inspiring work as ever Tim) 

Pix

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Now you'll need to fit laser cannons on the roof to shoot these aliens coming towards you!  :jester:

Jim

Well there is a structure that might pass muster, Jim.  Watch this space. 

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Any offers from our modern technology gurus for 3D printed Edwardian-design toilet pans (seat down) high level cisterns and washbasins for the ladies / gents toilet?  It might also be possible to include a gents urinal, although that is more likely to be cut off...on the model. 

3A846E32_EB60_4549_AB1A_A9BE1CDAEBE3.jpe

Tim

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Any offers from our modern technology gurus for 3D printed Edwardian-design toilet pans (seat down) high level cisterns and washbasins for the ladies / gents toilet?  It might also be possible to include a gents urinal, although that is more likely to be cut off...on the model. 

3A846E32_EB60_4549_AB1A_A9BE1CDAEBE3.jpe

Tim

Are you aware of a site called thingiverse? I haven’t looked on there specifically for toilets but the content is vast and varied. 

• RMweb Premium

Best I can do is these two drawings.
8097EAD8_0F75_4725_BBA4_683DBDD57AD5.jpe
This is unfortunately the most I can make of a low res scan

2CA1FAC2_61EC_4A5F_A570_CA74F3C0EBE4.jpe

The modern drawing is simplified and shows modern WCs.  With the track alignment and the cut off at the front, it is exceedingly unlikely that the gents toilet will be included.  
4A5A6FAE_155C_4AB0_BD7C_1A100889EE0A.jpe

I will put a clear window into the ground floor area to show the ladies WCs, powder room, escape stairs and lift lobby: so the WCs will probably be all that is required.  There doesn’t appear to be a washbasin in the ladies.  Size wise, Edwardian toilets are pretty big. 

I’ll show a picture of the progress on the rear tomorrow.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC