Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

2 hours ago, bécasse said:

At your convenience, sir, from Nicholls and Clarke Ltd Catalogue of Builders' Material No.30 inscribed March 1934:

N&Curinals357.jpg.3eaca9fc9c2ad38d13ab6c89d0f5cde3.jpg

I'll see what I can draw up.  As it happens, I've almost used up the black resin and the next bottle is white.  You'll have to stain it yourself if it works.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I would use a separate piece of wire for the connection between the cistern and pan. I think these will need to be fixed very carefully to the clear plastic ‘window’.  We would not be so vulgar as to have any of the cubicles in use...

TIM

• RMweb Gold

From memory* Urinals aren't that deep maybe 18" max, they are also taller at around 4'6" The thinking is that as you stand at them your clothes shouldn't touch them and you can't see over them. 

*- thats from my working life and helping to lift some in place years ago.

The catalogue entry gives all the basic dimensions except depth - 3'-6" tall (plus a further 3" for the divisions) and at 2'-0" centres (and thus stall width). The urinal illustrated is clearly set in a floor formed of 6" square tiles and this enables one to estimate the depth as 1'-0" for the stall plus a further 3" for the tread plate. Given these base dimensions (and their simplicity), it should be possible to scale off any further dimensions from the illustration.

The Nicholls & Clarke catalogue illustrates some simpler urinals too:N&Curinals358.jpg.1b2da9e64d301cc712749fd39ebeb2c9.jpg

....... and some wall-hung ones too:

N&Curinals359.jpg.29257f52018fc61c4c9faab4280cd26c.jpg

I can remember a few rural pubs with those enamelled iron trough urinals wall-mounted in a lean-to shed out back - IIRC they were usually flushed (via a pipe from the gutter) only when it rained!

Edited by bécasse

• RMweb Premium

This is all getting very exciting.  Don’t forget the shelf like detail on the YR urinal, Kevin.

I must caution, however, that I may not be able to fit the urinals as the gents toilet may make the model too wide.  The WCs & cisterns will be fitted. 

Tim

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 21:57, CF MRC said:

Any offers from our modern technology gurus for 3D printed Edwardian-design toilet pans (seat down) high level cisterns and washbasins for the ladies / gents toilet?  It might also be possible to include a gents urinal, although that is more likely to be cut off...on the model. 

3A846E32_EB60_4549_AB1A_A9BE1CDAEBE3.jpe

Tim

Are these the actuals?  If so, I'll adapt my drawing to suit.  

I assume the WCs and cisterns are bog standard?  So far all the literature being posted has been on urinals.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I assume the WCs and cisterns are bog standard?  So far all the literature being posted has been on urinals.

Those are the actual surviving urinals at YR, Kevin. The WCs would be ideally standard (ouch) but the older types are usually a bit more fancy than sleek streamlined modern facilities.  This modern version, perhaps with a more obvious horizontal exit pipe would probably be about right with equivalent washbasins:

https://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/burlington-high-level-wc-with-white-ceramic-cistern-and-dual-flush-fittings-p2-c5
This photo shows the building in place. 

8BCD8176_EF14_42CD_BF6E_1238FD5E5AA6.jpe
I have marked up the ladies & gents facilities on the ground floor base. The gents would almost certainly interfere with stowage in the travelling case, but I suppose bits could be removable. 

What does the RMWeb team think?

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

7 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Be careful what you cut off if there's any gents using the urinals...

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Those are the actual surviving urinals at YR, Kevin. The WCs would be ideally standard (ouch) but the older types are usually a bit more fancy than sleek streamlined modern facilities.  This modern version, perhaps with a more obvious horizontal exit pipe would probably be about right with equivalent washbasins:

https://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.uk/burlington-high-level-wc-with-white-ceramic-cistern-and-dual-flush-fittings-p2-c5
This photo shows the building in place. 

8BCD8176_EF14_42CD_BF6E_1238FD5E5AA6.jpe
I have marked up the ladies & gents facilities on the ground floor base. The gents would almost certainly interfere with stowage in the travelling case, but I suppose bits could be removable. 

What does the RMWeb team think?

Tim

I think you've got your scales a bit mixed up !

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

sorry it has to be said this thread going down the pan :jester:

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

We are bogged down in the detail ...

10 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

I assume the WCs and cisterns are bog standard? 

On 02/09/2020 at 20:48, jcm@gwr said:

You can't blame Tim for feeling flushed with success!

We are plumbing new depths.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I'd vote for, regrettably, cutting off the gents to avoid stowage issues, I'm afraid! Or at least "adapting" the layout of the building a tad?

What is happening to the video screen? Presumably even if it didn't interfere with the tube itself, it would be quite a visual distraction and detract from it as a focal point - so best to move it elsewhere? 

Whilst it may come to pass that it is all a flash in the pan, I have enjoyed having a go at it.  

The picture contains from right to left, the urinal drawn from the catalogue and displayed previously, and then going around the clock of the other four bits, at 12 we have the cistern, 3-4 is the WC, 6 is the lid for the WC and at I think probably 8 rather than 9, a wash basin.  For a pedestal for the wash basin I'd think a bit of square styrene would do.

Overall, pretty happy with the print although the right hand stall is a bit misshapen.  Possibly a second which you can get cheap from the casting place, or it will be ground up and used as grog.

IMG_4460.JPG.9a36ca4613b400aaf3f9545dcabd59c0.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, justin1985 said:

I'd vote for, regrettably, cutting off the gents to avoid stowage issues, I'm afraid! Or at least "adapting" the layout of the building a tad?

What is happening to the video screen? Presumably even if it didn't interfere with the tube itself, it would be quite a visual distraction and detract from it as a focal point - so best to move it elsewhere? 

I certainly wouldn’t adapt the building, as each bit interacts with the next, especially the lift shaft positions that have to line up precisely with the openings on the platform.  It may turn out that the building and related infrastructure is removable, although I would prefer that not to be the case - it depends how much gets made below ground.

The video display position is a bit of a quandary. The obvious thing to do would be to put a film of the tube on it, but I doubt that would even exist for the period we are interested in and it would detract from the main layout.  The station would lie just to the  left of the screen.  We’ll probably screen off the left hand speaker, short term, and see how it looks and what transpires. 

Kevin’s porcelain output looks excellent.  To save postage on such heavy items, I wonder if it would be possible to license the files to Justin?

Tim

• RMweb Premium

I have just received a better scan of the main station plan. The details of the toilets and washrooms are much clearer.  The washbasins appear to be round, which makes life easier, and I can now see where the ladies wash room is located.
F51664B2_8767_4BA2_8414_665AB8FE7B39.jpe

What a carry-on this has become...

Tim

Edited by CF MRC