CF MRC

1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this man yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Apparently his venerable company is still in business:

https://www.thomas-crapper.com/toilets-basins/

Now there's a man who was flushed with success! :jester:

Jim

I'd better get on with the drawings then!

3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

It is almost certain that the station building will be removable, as there will be more of the underground structures modelled - the gents loo will therefore be made - it is no wider than the line of the platform track. 

...I think it is fair to say that without the availability of CAD and modern manufacturing techniques, this line would be very much harder to make!  It is also quite gratifying to bring all the modern techniques to bear on a 35 year old layout.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/09/2020 at 00:13, CF MRC said:

I have just received a better scan of the main station plan. The details of the toilets and washrooms are much clearer.  The washbasins appear to be round, which makes life easier, and I can now see where the ladies wash room is located.
F51664B2_8767_4BA2_8414_665AB8FE7B39.jpe

What a carry-on this has become...

Tim

Hi Tim,

Is there a scale with this?  It will be handy to know any dimensions we can for the urinals - so far all I have is 2.5 wall tiles but I don't know how long the tiles are!  I should have a rough drawing done by 2200 local (presently 2120) and I can adapt once known dimensions are obtained.  Currently drawing in inches at full size, which can then be scaled.

Cheers

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

That’s looking very good Kevin. Tiles are 9”x3”.  The length available on the plan is 6’. We will indeed look over a gentleman’s shoulder. In the urinal we have on Market Road, the occupant is in mid-stream - represented by a strand of fibre glass. 
Thanks 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

6 hours ago, CF MRC said:

That’s looking very good Kevin. Tiles are 9”x3”.  The length available on the plan is 6’. We will indeed look over a gentleman’s shoulder. In the urinal we have on Market Road, the occupant is in mid-stream - represented by a strand of fibre glass. 
Thanks 

Tim

Good guess by me then - the 3 stalls come out to 6' on the principle that 2' seems to be standard.  

I've had another look at the pictures and think the inside is probably curved rather than square.  This would gel with the plan having curved stalls so I'll have a revisit of it tonight.  Hopefully an over scale test print this evening too.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo and your modelling Kevin, it appears that the tall triangular upstanding at the front should be symmetrical both sides of the partitions. Of course, it may be the viewing angle of your rendition.  It’s quite crazy really, when you consider how small all this is!

In the meantime, I have made the lettering correctly 3D on the station building. 
915BED60_4602_472D_A69C_E47907960F13.jpe

Tim

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Looking at the photo and your modelling Kevin, it appears that the tall triangular upstanding at the front should be symmetrical both sides of the partitions. Of course, it may be the viewing angle of your rendition.  It’s quite crazy really, when you consider how small all this is!

I agree.  Missed it!  Fortunately that is an easy fix.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, CF MRC said:

With a bit of help I have nearly completed the newsagent - tobacconist at York Road tube station. 

F9E736ED_FF43_4E75_A866_7A6E193BDA90.jpe
However, someone would rather have had me throwing a ball for him. 
20C1DB9E_640A_4AAB_BAF3_461ECB2499D7.jpe
The shop will be finished after a bit of weathering and a name board - but who?

Tim

If you can find the Kelly's Guide for the year that the model is set. One easy way of doing that is the reverse side of the Godfrey Collection repoduction OS maps.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If you can find the Kelly's Guide for the year that the model is set. One easy way of doing that is the reverse side of the Godfrey Collection repoduction OS maps.

The University of Leicester Library has the vast majority of them available freely online, up to the 1910s.

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

It is a tradition that shop names are of Club members / people who have contributed to the layout.  There are two strong candidates for the tobacconist. 

Tim

Looking superb Tim.

Denys, with his trademark pipe would have been perfect for the tobacconist.

Jerry

9 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

He already runs a butcher’s shop up the Cally, Jerry. He took a slightly dim view of taking on a butcher’s shop. 

Tim

Shops changed hands in the real world, so why not on CF?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, CF MRC said:

With a bit of help I have nearly completed the newsagent - tobacconist at York Road tube station. 

F9E736ED_FF43_4E75_A866_7A6E193BDA90.jpe
However, someone would rather have had me throwing a ball for him. 
20C1DB9E_640A_4AAB_BAF3_461ECB2499D7.jpe
The shop will be finished after a bit of weathering and a name board - but who?

Tim

Stunning modelling as usual. One of my wife and my all time favourite layouts.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Shops changed hands in the real world, so why not on CF?

CF has developed its own history and archaeology, we are only it’s custodians and certainly wouldn’t be allowed to change shop names. 

Tim

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CF MRC said:

CF has developed its own history and archaeology, we are only it’s custodians and certainly wouldn’t be allowed to change shop names. 

Tim

I appreciate what you are saying, and I'm not suggesting getting rid of any names,

just maybe if someone seems more appropriate as a newsagent, than a butcher,

(for example) then swop them, but I don't want to rock the boat.

• Agree 1

Do any of the 2MM Mag's previous editors have a business?  Stewart Hine, Geoff Balfour,Mick Simpson to name but three?  One of them would seem appropriate for a newsagent.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim