Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The re-working of the goods yard ramp has progressed quite well over the last 36hrs. The angle of the road is less steep that the previous iteration and was made from 4mm ply clamped and glued. The natural S shape of the plywood was straightened out with a packing to clamp against. 
93DA836C-D5F0-4A30-A0A5-74F89738A192.jpe

Once in place, the top end of the ramp had some fill-ins from substantial styrene strips on which to fix the walls. The strength in the long retaining wall would arise from using packings and stiffeners fixed to the styrene sheet, rather than the layout whilst the wall was under construction. 
9DFA0C95-158A-47C1-A19F-D42AD7B4A23C.jpe

As this isn’t close to the front of the layout, I used Slaters brick styrene.  This is always sanded heavily to flatten the bricks and make them less ‘knobbly’.

4ABD00EA-376C-4288-9A31-B38F13CF8BC1.jpe
The paving and capping stone was set up to give a reasonably flat joint for subsequent fixing of the railed fence and new brick wall. 

790FAD38-6C92-4AC5-A164-2D18D7EDB42A.jpe

This is the mainline driver’s operating view. The two gate pilasters are re-cycled from the old wall.

3AF03D4B-1869-4E2C-95A7-E59085473DE8.jpe

I think it’s looking a bit tidier and finer than the previous version which, to be fair, had only been sketched in with wood. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s all beginning to look busy around the KX Goods Yard middle entrance. After a bit of fettling, the pavement was laid on York Road, before placing the railings (lying loose on the road in this image), so avoiding having to make the slabs fit the back wall as well as the pavement edge. 
AFA64086-5958-4DEC-BBF6-384E42133EC9.jpe

The ramp walling is now complete and whilst it’s not immediately obvious there is a significant narrowing towards the entrance. This will give a useful perspective effect when viewed from the front of the layout.

76D8057F-479D-4D23-AF08-03B7E914390F.jpe

The public view from the south end has now become a whole lot more interesting, especially as the areas of black styrene will have multiple M roofs on them.

22668313-F101-4837-BFAB-19AB32D674D6.jpe

1ECE399F-8895-49E9-9EC6-3360FEC79447.jpe

The eye is now drawn down into the yard. Problem is we’ll now need a whole load of horse drawn wagons and small lorries for the potato market. Some large colourful LNER hoardings on the railings would also help to draw the eye into the layout at this point. 

I really am looking forward to seeing all of this in place on the layout, but that won’t be for a little while I suspect.  At least the silver lining to the COVID cloud is that I have been able to work on this bit of layout far more intensively than our normal build timetable.

Tim

• Like 19

11 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The eye is now drawn down into the yard. Problem is we’ll now need a whole load of horse drawn wagons and small lorries for the potato market.

Sounds like a natural for 3D printing.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The first part of the potato warehouses have now been sketched out.
4BDB31E5-EE08-4BCF-884C-7EF3B80A6369.jpe

The red brick M styrene will be mostly hidden by the canopies in front, but might be discernible through the glass, so best to put it in. The black styrene is the foundation layer for the roof, the final covering being Slaters slate styrene sanded almost flat. The clear sky lights will sit on top of the black styrene in cut outs within the slates. There are also some substantial chimney stacks to be made, emerging through these rooves, which will add a bit of character. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 22:07, CF MRC said:

The eye is now drawn down into the yard. Problem is we’ll now need a whole load of horse drawn wagons and small lorries for the potato market. Some large colourful LNER hoardings on the railings would also help to draw the eye into the layout at this point. 

Tim

Are there specific horse drawn vehicles for potatoes or is it predominantly regular drays etc. Any pictures?

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Would be simple drays I expect, Jerry. Probably not particularly big. No old pictures of the road vehicles, as yet; most pictures show the railway wagons inside the warehouses. Later pictures show lorries, usually flatbeds with side & end  boards.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

On 06/01/2021 at 08:41, queensquare said:

Are there specific horse drawn vehicles for potatoes or is it predominantly regular drays etc. Any pictures?

Jerry

The now extinct London Potato Horse was a remarkable specimen.

• Funny 4

Judging by the 5kg bags that I buy in the supermarket, potatoes are quite heavy items for their bulk and that leads me to believe that two-horse drays would have been used. Coal merchants generally got away with using a single horse but, firstly, their deliveries were usually quite local and consequently the dray was probably stationary for unloading more than it was on the move, and, secondly, the load would have got progressively lighter as the round progressed; both factors significantly reducing the total effort required by a single horse.

2 hours ago, Simon D. said:

Delivering Potatoes in 1920’s.  https://www.heritagesouthholland.co.uk/article/delivering-potatoes-1920s/

Rural, but might be indicative...

Interesting that that was a three-horse dray, although I think it unlikely that they would have been used in the (relatively) heavy traffic in London - too difficult to control. Photos in Oakwood Press's book on the potato railways of Lincolnshire show two horse and one horse (but with an assisting horse) drays. The cost of moving potatoes, even in a rural area, by horse and dray was, of course, the rationale behind the creation of the county's many potato railways many of which were worked by horse.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Simon D. said:

Delivering Potatoes in 1920’s.  https://www.heritagesouthholland.co.uk/article/delivering-potatoes-1920s/

Rural, but might be indicative...

A young horse was often put in the traces like that to train it. Wagons such as that are incredibly specific to locality, so probably well off type for London. Modelling the full and empty sacks is another matter. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

The building works continue. Rooves, rooves and more rooves. 
C959CDBE-247D-4A75-A3B8-DF09DF577707.jpe
7ECDF584-85B6-4987-90C0-8456C9729676.jpe

The front, long, warehouse has been extended southwards and a start has been made on the hipped rooves at the north end.  It will be good to get some slate sheets in place as working with black styrene is a bit depressing.  The complexity of the building is beginning to give a better impression of KX Goods; not accurate, but a bit more of the atmosphere perhaps. 

Tim

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A full day of a College Teams meeting: ‘Teacher Education Day’, saw steady progress on the KX GY sheds. 
132C4CEF-12B9-48F6-8CA1-44AD8B989EBD.jpe
B3E31305-00A9-4002-8B0C-FEAFEADA0BF5.jpe

As an aside, I tend to use a fine liner for marking out styrene these days. When I’m using one piece as a pattern for another, e.g. with the hole for the hipped roof lantern lights, then I always extend little crosses at the corners to make it easier to know when to start and stop cutting.

E2B49BE5-1FB8-4CED-AE8B-A941DFCBFD60.jpe

Next job slating the potato warehouses. 

Tim

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I think I can at last begin to see an end to the KX GY sheds (collective sigh all round), with the slating now mainly complete, they aren’t the most exciting bit of modelling....

A24D9566-70D8-4965-906F-C9194297DC66.jpe

It’s interesting to compare this view with a photo taken just under a year ago. The ramp has changed direction, of course, and the buildings reduced in height and increased in complexity. When Barry took this photo the YR tube was just a mock up, so is carefully cropped out of the view.  
FABE7613-0912-417C-A070-FD709104E2E8.jpe

(photo Barry Norman courtesy MRJ)

The skylights will soon need to be made for all these rooves and, there is a substantial ventilator clerestory of the large roof for most of its length. It will be good to start to get some paint on the buildings but best not to rush that because loads of details still need to be added.  I have improved my technique for slating the gently curved rooves as can be seen here - it should be self explanatory and much simpler than using individual pieces. 
5EEF4A4C-C597-485C-B73A-4D17ADF0D8B3.jpe

It is so frustrating not being able to see all of this new work in the context of the whole layout. I suspect that the viewing public will be more equitably distributed down the front of the layout now, as there is now so much more to see at the southern end.

Tim

• Like 10

10 hours ago, CF MRC said: I suspect that the viewing public will be more equitably distributed down the front of the layout now, as there is now so much more to see at the southern end.

We had the same problem on charwelton. Even though it was just shy of 40ft every one wanted to be in front of the station. As half the length was a long cutting. This did not happen on stoke summit. Perhaps because the trains just passed through, but more likely because people like to see the sides of trains and in the cutting you mostly saw their roofs. Not an issue on stoke summit the front side cutting wall had been removed. 
richard

• RMweb Premium

When we first started CF we exhibited the Holloway Bank section for a while: trains were only visible in a cutting. Lots of people couldn’t understand why we had hidden the trains, but that was partly the effect we were after - having to look for the trains is common  in the urban scene. Of course, the rest of the layout compensates for that quite well, it was unveiled in stages, with the very visible NLR and the open vista of Belle Isle and the goods yard. 

It’s only five years ago that the south end of CF looked like this:

7616803C-3546-4C43-B531-6C5326253A7D.jpe
Quite a short time window in CF terms, but the lifespan of some layouts...

Tim

• Like 6

On 05/12/2020 at 11:46, APOLLO said:

I prefer the old days - wasn't the house in the centre a mock up for the film "The Ladykillers" ?

image.png.be8ebce6ef87788cd1d4556a5280bf87.png

Brit15

I meant to comment on the roofs visible in this photo when it first appeared but somehow failed to do so.

Most domestic properties in the inner suburbs of London whose roofs are fronted by parapet walls, as these are, have twin slopes draining down from the fire walls either side (an LCC Building Regulations requirement) into a central front to back gully, and there are plenty of such examples modelled on CF. These, however, have a single slope which drains down to a (hidden in this view) gully along the nearer fire wall. This might just give more usable attic space but I suspect at the expense of keeping the fire wall clear of damp penetration; it is certainly an arrangement I haven't noted before and may be linked to a particular developer. The roof on the furthest building from the camera on the right (a public house?) is also unusual in having a single slope down, parallel to the road, with its apex immediately behind and level with the top of the parapet, again an arrangement new to me - I must spend more time looking at Google Earth views of such surviving buildings in this area.

It is also worth noting the number of roofs where the covering is apparently of pantiles (but possibly concrete tiles) instead of the original slates. Given that we know, from the presence of the Ladykillers "house", that the photo dates from the early 1950s, these are presumably wartime or immediate post-war replacements for slate roofs damaged during air raids (when bomb blasts would lift roof coverings almost within a wider radius than they would blow in glass windows).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1