Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

It is fascinating how adding one architectural feature suddenly ‘places’ the goods sheds as being based on KX. That feature is a ‘knee’ on each corner of the main, long, sheds. 
F46B319F-E6DB-429F-ADF9-6E357E6AC1F9.jpe

This part image is from ‘An Exceedingly Commodious Goods Station’ an archaeological survey by Haslam & Thompson.  A very useful book, if you are making a model of Kings Cross Goods Depot. 
On the model

61428C4E-9F61-4E98-A3DB-9D1420AC696F.jpe

And in the overall scene

3E057DF0-75DC-4A6B-9C17-E3DEEFDD804B.jpe

I am very pleased with the effect these have. I wasn’t convinced that the atmosphere of the sheds was quite right for KX, it’s probably getting better now.

Tim

• Like 13

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

these are presumably wartime or immediate post-war replacements for slate roofs damaged during air raids (when bomb blasts would lift roof coverings almost within a wider radius than they would blow in glass windows).

According to my father, incendiary bombs would break through the slates and set the house ablaze.  this didn't happen to the same extent in Scotland where there is usually sarking (boarding) under the slates, so the incendiaries slid off and landed in the road or garden doing less damage.

Jim

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

According to my father, incendiary bombs would break through the slates and set the house ablaze.  this didn't happen to the same extent in Scotland where there is usually sarking (boarding) under the slates, so the incendiaries slid off and landed in the road or garden doing less damage.

Actually, sarking was commonplace anywhere, the slates have to be nailed to something and in the days before the Great War when timber (and labour) was relatively cheap it was probably simpler to lay planks rather than battens. After the Great War new roofs, at least in the London area, tended to be tiled rather than slated and, although they were laid on battens (the tiles having moulded projections so that they didn't need nailing), they were also stronger and incendiary bombs were less likely to break through them. The great danger with incendiary bombs was that they would lodge somewhere on the roof structure (those gulleys, for example) and that is why neighbourhood fire watching (and the provision of equipment to enable the bombs to be quickly dealt with) was organised in urban areas during WWII.

16 hours ago, CF MRC said:

It is fascinating how adding one architectural feature suddenly ‘places’ the goods sheds as being based on KX. That feature is a ‘knee’ on each corner of the main, long, sheds. 
F46B319F-E6DB-429F-ADF9-6E357E6AC1F9.jpe

Part image from ‘An Exceedingly Commodious Goods Station’ an archaeological survey by Haslam & Thompson.  

As you have doubtless spotted, Tim, those "knees" are there to help support a cantilevered walkway with handrail that runs the length of each roof outside the guttering whose purpose was to facilitate the maintenance of the slate roofing. The walkway could have been either wooden planking or a steel/iron grill, the photo suggesting the former. 

Such walkways were actually quite common on roofs on large buildings, indicating that provision for (relatively) safe working at a height didn't start with an EU directive on the subject (or even the UK's own H&S legislation of the sixties). Glass roofs over passenger stations tended to have even more elaborate provision of walkways for access. When I worked at 50 Liverpool Street in the mid-1970s my office in the "attics" had a special window which gave direct access to the roof walkways over Liverpool Street station and it wasn't unknown for the younger and more intrepid members of my staff to go "exploring" while I was out even though this was at the height of the IRA bombing campaign. With the window open, we could hear clearly the station announcements and the initiation of the "Will all passengers and staff please leave the station immediately" announcement gave us a good thirty seconds to pack our bags before the building evacuation bells started ringing!

• Informative/Useful 1

Great to see how you go about the modelling to make the changes and improvements. It's very inspirational and interesting.

I appreciate that you've done a lot of renovation and development of this area of the CF layout during the pandemic period and presumably at home. Are there others working on other areas of the layout?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

I appreciate that you've done a lot of renovation and development of this area of the CF layout during the pandemic period and presumably at home. Are there others working on other areas of the layout?

The other main projects away from the layout is Matthew Wald making Goods & Mineral Jcn. signal box, whilst Eric Sainte, in Belgium, is making Five Arch SB.

Of course, around YR, Richard Wilson is beavering away at the underground crossing and tunnel infrastructure whilst Mark Fielder is making some advertising hoardings for YR as well as  re-motoring Stewart Hine’s original tube mechanism. Mike Randall might be turning up a tunnel vent for Gasworks tunnel - I’m not sure whether that will look right, but worth a try.  Jerry C has a slew of road vehicles in hand for the south end of the layout. The main goods shed roof has its vents being made  by Alan Budgen: fairly obvious that he will get his name on a potato warehouse unit. 

Further towards the middle, Rob Stewart is making an automatic shuttle circuit for the 2mm scale Oerlikon set on the NLR and someone might be persuaded to have a look at a decent auto set up for the T gauge Oerlikon. Two others are making signals for the NLR and the GNR goods lines. 
There are other bits and pieces being made e.g. more carriages - a triplet diner is in hand.

So lots of little jobs and some big ones; we usually run a list of jobs to be done before the next show - whenever that might be...

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Back of an envelope calculation is around 30 in all, David.  Five are unfortunately no longer with us and there are about 18 still with active connections to the layout. The really active team is a baker’s dozen.

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Back of an envelope calculation is around 30 in all, David.  Five are unfortunately no longer with us and there are about 18 still with active connections to the layout. The really active team is a baker’s dozen.

That is an interesting comparison with the construction of Bembridge in P4 fifty years ago which, although privately owned, was largely built at Keen House and was always billed as "by members of the Model Railway Club". Its total stand frontage probably wasn't very different to that of CF, it was just as pioneering and it was almost totally scratch built, but we had an active team of just five (with odd bits of help from other members) and, starting with a site visit in mid-September 1969 through to exhibiting at the Easter Central Hall show in 1971, it took us just over 18 months.

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing Bembridge at Keen House in the mid 1970s, by which time it was looking a little tired, but was still a tour de force for what it set out to do.   However, I think you are comparing apples and oranges, David, with Bembridge having three buildings in total: how many on CF?  A more comparable layout  would have been Chiltern Green, which was started in 1977, first exhibited in 1979 and built by about six Club members. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Very nice and effective looking progress.

It's difficult to tell from the pics but on the pitched roof skylights are the glazing bars on the outside or inside?

They’re on the outside Grahame. Heavily scribed into the surface, but not showing up very strongly. I think there would be a good market for glazing with window bars printed on, for north light type rooves. 

Tim

16 hours ago, CF MRC said:

They’re on the outside Grahame. Heavily scribed into the surface, but not showing up very strongly. I think there would be a good market for glazing with window bars printed on, for north light type rooves. 

Tim

Thanks. The light reflecting off the glazing makes them difficult to see.

'Scenesetters glazing sheets' (from Freestone Models) are printed glazing bars but they're grids, although in a choice of sizes. He also does other printed windows including skylight types with grey bars but they're in a folder book you need to look through.

DSC00486red.jpg.50a7f000e42d1ca53b751857744ee914.jpg

I thicken up the frame area with a Posca paint pen.

Edited by grahame
add pic
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The evolution of a building. Can you spot the differences?
C655B0ED-9094-4F08-86D1-12696F96D8F0.jpe
FCB88856-C3F1-485B-85C9-B1AF44FCEECD.jpe

AB97F777-E867-4ED2-A98C-018A9C93A2AE.jpe

Tim

Roof line above front elevation

Window ledges on the stairs wall and some cleaning off around the windows etc.

Roof.

Are there other more hidden changes too.?  Cracking work as usual in such a small scale .

• Agree 1