Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

The refreshment rooms are now complete, but the side stairway does rather make it look like a dodgy London maisonette conversion. 
73968CA9-9190-4250-8473-F5638AD2C1C9.jpe
D0AAEF6A-43D7-4BDB-B3D3-DF131C4A0A7A.jpe
I think it will look OK in context.  Knocking out buildings in three days makes me think it’s time to have a go at something else. 
0ECCBA45-689F-483F-94D3-D24F8EB937AB.jpeg.bb15e2ae61ec3a4f819f04874a7c5954.jpeg

It will be predominantly hidden by York Road viaduct, but CF is all about making the viewer look hard to find interesting corners. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
Added photo
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I assume the order is oldest (covered stairs)

to newest (pediment, with gable roof)

Afraid you are 180 degrees out, Jeff. The gabled roof just didn’t look right - it had a bit of a continental look. The hipped roof is also more true to prototype. The stairwell was covered, as can be seen in the prototype photo, but the stairs are scarcely going to be visible on the layout. 

Tim

Far from being boring that was a fascinating post. Where I live, it is difficult to get modelling paint and I can't use anything with strong fumes so over the years I have used Tamiya and Games workshop paints from the local Toymaster but don't often go there,  artists acrylics, anything I can find in DIY shops, talc, chalk, charcoal, water colour pencils and Barbecue ash!

With a growing family at the time I probably saved loads of money too.

Looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh one day, the recent MRJ photos were superb.

Martyn

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

Funny it didn't seem so filthy to those of us growing up in it, but it really was! I do remember the state of my shirt collars after a day out. Almost an unimaginable world now.

Yep, the steam era was filthy. I remember when as a youngster and travelling with parents being constantly told not to touch anything and don't look out of the window otherwise you'd get smuts in your eyes. Things didn't really improve until the smokeless fuels acts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, -missy- said:

Watching that film certainly gives you an understanding to why steam was phased out so quickly! What a horrible, dirty, and smelly place that was.

J.

Who in their right mind would want to make a model of it!  With all the animal related industry in the vicinity of Copenhagen Tunnel it must have been pretty dire. Go back a 100 years and it was even worse:

http://catsmeatshop.blogspot.com/2010/09/lost-london-belle-isle.html

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, -missy- said:

Watching that film certainly gives you an understanding to why steam was phased out so quickly! What a horrible, dirty, and smelly place that was.

J.

I think an estate agent might describe it as "having atmosphere and character"....

Anyway, the ending to The Ladykillers wouldn't have worked nearly as well without the smoke and grime (and the infamous signal!) of Belle Isle;

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 12/02/2021 at 09:32, bécasse said:

Excellent. Almost certainly winter 1956-57. It wouldn't have been much different - some diesels, most carriages in maroon - when Keen House opened three years later.

Yes. Could perhaps get a bit more precise if given the date of 67793's works visit - it has acquired the later emblem, and has yet to get filthy.

The Nim.

Tim , this may be sacrilege to even contemplate . . . .but CF needs loads of  road vehicles , so would you ever contemplate buying in , say , a dozen Oxford Diecast 1930s taxicabs , to stick on 

York Way? 

when i was a nipper , in 1952 or so ,  my dad took me up to KX to meet a family he'd been billeted on in Cape Town in 1942 ish , who were passing through London ; long story. but I , being about five years old , was impressed by the quantity of cabs there,  (and also by the giant bunch of bananas sitting on  the luggage shelf  of our cab alongside the driver ) ( but that is yet another story ) .

any thoughts?

regards

Andy. 

• RMweb Premium

Watch this space Andy...

Taxis would have been going up and down York Road, but our patch is certainly a long way from where they would park up. The Oxford Diecast models are good in parts, but vehicles near the front of CF need to be very fine. 

Tim

• Like 1