Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

23 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Following a comment by @queensquare at a recent online event, about only frequenting this part of RMweb, I thought that followers of this thread might like to see what went on during Saturday afternoon:

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/spring-2021-tims-workbench-part-3/

There's more than just this that fits the 2mm scale discipline.

Tim,

a lovely presentation - thank you and thanks to Mick for posting the link.

John,

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Those are fascinating pictures Pekka, thank you for posting. 

The top photo of the bare boards would be autumn ‘84; the next two were probably ‘85 or ‘86 at IMREX, Wembley. What is interesting is that the original low height back scene, with a much less extensive modelled scene is evident  in the second photo. Also, one of the chaps is sitting in the middle of an access hatch that was made, but never used subsequently.  The method of construction for the tube station is also the same as for its younger brother, York Road - funny that.

The last four photos show the layout at Keen House, probably in the early ‘90s, by that time with the tall back scene. Again, quite interesting as they show N gauge stock running on the Holloway Bank section and in BR period, as well. In the early days the layout ran in two distinct periods as we did not have enough LNER / GNR locos and stock. Once the Belle Isle section was added to the layout and we started to get through running on the main lines then the dual standards disappeared, but the down goods line retained that capability until 2014.

Interesting to me, anyway. 

Tim

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

I never realised CF had N gauge running ability.  I saw it in the Graham Farish Catalogue back in the 90s (first sighting by this little Aussie Battler) and assumed at the time it was N, then found out via a 2mm member that it wasn't and the catalogue shots were stills.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Copenhagen Fields team is hosting the next online Model Railway Club Zoom Night this Thursday. Please register here:

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/events/mrc-zoom-club-meeting/

We will be showing the latest York Road tube station developments underground and recent work on the KX potato warehouses and Goods Yard. Simon Humphries  will be talking about the restoration of the original 2mm fine scale exhibition layout, ‘Rydes Vale’, along with other 2mm scale projects from group members.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Man, you all look so young!

Just like all the policemen and the professors on the telly!  What I want to know is why all those folk I've known for years have got so old?

Jim ( who only started counting after 50 and so will be 24 in ten days time)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The brick frontage of the potato warehouse has been roughed in with a bit of colour. 
CFF123CE-DF25-4095-8385-448430CA18DE.jpe

I’ll probably make a start on the frontage of the cart road tomorrow.  It’s all going to look very busy. 

Tim

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Quite a day for pondering how to make the cart road rooves. Some sort of jig would be needed for assembly to support the ‘I’ beams and position them in the wall sockets. The tapered and jiggled front doesn’t help either. 
4DB2FD2F-8094-451A-8EB1-57A89AA4FAA3.jpe

It will all be jolly close to the retaining wall, but that is how it was. I think I have worked out how it will all be assembled.

Tim

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

There was a discussion a while back on wagons etc for the potato market.  You may well have seen this site: http://www.peterberthoud.co.uk/blog/18022018105946-london-markets-in-the-1930s/.  A couple of fascinating photos.  I imagine Kings X was much like Borough Market in terms of service vehicles, and some firms served both markets as evidenced by the still extant sign at the Borough.

Incidentally, googling 'Lee Potatoes' finds a number of farms and companies called Lee in the Ely area - clearly a spud dynasty.

Markets-110.jpg

tumblr_mz2x1o5eS91rf6ckro1_1280.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

“Incidentally, googling 'Lee Potatoes' finds a number of farms and companies called Lee in the Ely area - clearly a spud dynasty.”

If they’re from Ely, they will certainly all be related..

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

He’s a Parson Jack Russel, 10 months old and full of beans.  As fast as any dog of equivalent size and a squirrel laxative, when first let out in the morning. 

Tim

• Like 4

15 hours ago, CF MRC said:

A few advertising hoardings on the railings will add a splash of colour, as will the merchant’s names on the market. 

Are you sure that advertising hoardings on the railings would be prototypical Tim? It was unusual to fix anything to cast-iron railings (other than, sometimes, street name plaques) because the railings needed regular repainting and that meant that anything fixed to them had to be removed for the task. A newspaper or flower seller who had taken up an adjacent patch might well have temporary signs but at that location any such sellers would be the other side of the road in front of the tube station.