Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

Fair comment, David. There are plenty of walls to attach to, but a railway sign near the entrance would be appropriate. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

The 5mm thick protective Perspex screen has now been fitted to the end of the cart road. It is held in place by a couple of blackened 12BA screws, so can easily be removed for photographic purposes. 
CB5B4047-170D-40A6-844D-7181620C20D0.jpe

The tapped holes in the Perspex were rather conspicuous, so I ran some grey paint in the hole. They look a bit like protective bollards or, in the case of the nearer one, three bollards because of the refraction on the polished end of the sheet.  It’s all a good deal sturdier, which is a relief, and essential for an exhibition layout like CF. 

Incidentally, the layout is having its own very special exhibition at Keen House on July 10-11th. 
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/product/buy-tickets-to-our-events/
It will be jolly hard work, but hopefully people will enjoy the opportunity to really get to know the layout.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

And somebody said,  ‘all the buildings on CF were the same colour’...

F9ABB6D7-A6B4-4B06-BE79-52E6D2CB9F53.jpe
This little group was made by Richard Wilson. I have been adding garage posters & he is working on some pumps. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CF MRC said:

They certainly aren’t potato sacks David. They are something quite dense, could be grain. 

I doubt whether grain was handled there as it was usually sold direct from mills (of which there were more than you might assume in London). Beetroots perhaps?

2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

5F0F2435-C82B-49DF-B173-EB6B65D116DC.jpe

I presume that's not asbestos you're using to line the casting ring!  :nono:

2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

There is no way those columns are going to get bent! 

And I hope you have a 1st aid kit ready for anyone who knocks against them!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I presume that's not asbestos you're using to line the casting ring!  :nono:

And I hope you have a 1st aid kit ready for anyone who knocks against them!

Jim

Indeed not Jim, but we used to! (The sharp pointy bits are inward facing).

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

16 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Christmas came early today for me as the trader signs for the potato market arrived from Ben Weiner as well as the castings for the Handyside canopy supports from my colleague at Guy’s.

Tom E’s 3DP columns were mounted for casting with a large wax feeder sprue on a sprue former and casting ring. 
5F0F2435-C82B-49DF-B173-EB6B65D116DC.jpe
C90D32AC-7A30-42D6-864A-63A1148EF17A.jpe

They were then invested in a very high temperature investment. 
C1342346-0C3C-4B32-A17F-9CCDC3012652.jpe

This was brought up to 900deg C to expand the investment and burn out the plastic. The investment expansion accommodates the shrinkage of the metal on cooling. 
FACBDFD9-48DD-4EBE-AD32-EF16F8DE3F9A.jpe
The metal ingots can be seen in the crucible with the hot casting ring in place. The metal is heated by induction to 1500 deg C. 
B8C315D0-CD24-4B18-AFB9-6CA673172256.jpe

At casting temperature the button of molten alloy can now be seen in the crucible.

5CE5A349-2FA7-4933-9159-90CF74253BA9.jpe

It’s now been vacuum cast into the investment ring. 
B1B6393B-2965-4890-97D6-2D8E249B592F.jpe

The exciting bit is when the ring is quenched and the castings divested. 
07B0C85A-7B11-4BF4-958C-239DBD212E5B.jpe

The alloy used is shown here:

5B30E0C4-EE14-4EDE-8BF9-2D3965FA6A78.jpe

This sort of alloy is the stuff that some crowns and metal dentures are made of (as well as artificial hips). It’s about as strong as you can get in my trade and this little exercise was a test to see if it would be of use for student teaching purposes.

The final castings were minimally cleaned up with grit blasting to remove the investment, but the remaining green oxide layer may help paint adhesion - as will the ‘as cast’ surface. These columns can afford to have a bit of paint build up when sprayed as the top of the casting was quite heavy, in reality. 
4DEE7282-C3E5-4E70-A1BF-CC7801470E93.jpe

(image copyright Malcolm Tucker)

4A8E3E0A-C560-4C18-A086-62868491EBD6.jpe

Trimming from the sprue and any adjustments will be done with diamond discs and burs, although this is a relatively soft Co Cr alloy compared to some. When fully fettled and painted, the columns will be attached with full strength epoxy resin adhesive. There is no way those columns are going to get bent! 

Hope this is of some interest. 
Tim

This post seems to answer the question “what other things do I need to get/budget for to go with my 3D printer?” pretty well. 

Fascinating stuff. 

• Like 2