Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

This image was used to make the first scene shown by Simon. 
E45791B9-7CBD-43DD-8938-7FEAD5EE3842.jpe

We were musing about the likely date for this photo when 10 year old Oliver, on the next door layout, clearly pronounced that it was taken in WW2. When asked why he said that, came the answer, “because the horses are wearing gas masks”. 
Obvious, really…

Tim

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 7

Gas masks apart (and I am actually surprised that more of the horses haven't got nose bags as it was an obvious way to keep them quiet while loading up), there are few clues to narrow down the date particularly as it is difficult to see in detail much of the clothing being worn. The lack of any motor vehicles suggests that it predates the end of the Great War when significant numbers of war surplus vehicles became available cheaply (and there was a shortage of horses), while the number of fit young-ish men standing around suggests that it isn't during the war itself. On the other hand, photographs of relatively mundane subjects such as this were relatively rare before the very final years of Victoria's reign, thus I would suggest that there is a rather better than evens chance that it dates from the Edwardian era, and there is nothing in what I can see of the clothing being worn to contradict that. A search of old trade directories for the two business names visible might narrow the date further although such firms often stayed in business for decades in those days.

It is photos like this that remind you just how labour intensive the trades and professions were only a 100 or so years ago. The 20th century has been a century of massive change and I, like many, am guilty of viewing it through heavily rose tinted glasses as being a “better” time, forgetting the long, often arduous, hours many people had to work to survive. 

• Agree 2

Enjoyed the mini exhibition on Sunday, the York Road modelling is just stunning! Good to get a chance to see it close up and I was blown away by the level of detail and realism in such a small scale. I picked up a few tips watching the guy paint the backscene, namely I put on way too much paint when I've tried it! 

Thank you and well done to the MRC for putting opening their doors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The first one leaving KX is Gasworks Tunnel which is actually three parallel bores (the eastern one has recently been reopened) followed by Copenhagen Tunnels, again three bores but with the east one disused.  Those are the only tunnels before you reach Barnet.  The others you may have seen are actually the Up Slow flyover north of Copenhagen Tunnel and the skew bridge carrying the Caledonian Road over the line. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/11/2021 at 05:03, CF MRC said:

This image was used to make the first scene shown by Simon. 
E45791B9-7CBD-43DD-8938-7FEAD5EE3842.jpe

We were musing about the likely date for this photo when 10 year old Oliver, on the next door layout, clearly pronounced that it was taken in WW2. When asked why he said that, came the answer, “because the horses are wearing gas masks”. 
Obvious, really…

Tim

The Finchley Society has a photo of Mr W Ashby in front of his premises on Regents Park Rd in 1933, if that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2021 at 14:22, east barnet andy said:

thanks for that chaps ; next time i make the journey , i'll know exactly where i am vis a vis  my favourite layout!

bfn, Andy.

One of these might be handy.  This is the model of the model, made by John Birkett-Smith back in 1983 or thereabouts. We've stayed quite true to the design with the exception that the backscene comes closer to the York Road viaduct (bottom left) than originally envisaged.

image.png.88c83a6c3c50ff54707cab9b2f983b17.png

image.png.1f674770d73b04213edfe09b1e081075.png

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The side of the stairwell will have a window cut into it so that the spiral stairs can be seen. These will be 3D printed by Richard Wilson, but he is currently engaged with sorting out the tube at the north end, at Caledonian Road.

The lift shaft will also have a window cut into it so that the car can be seen going up and down. 

Eventually, the whole underground station at York Road will be modelled, including the cross over and tunnels: we have a full set of drawings for the tunnel construction - which will also be visible. 

3867DBCA-1580-451C-BCC9-575D6A41B65F.jpe

Copyright LT Museum. 

Only the Southbound platform will be visible. 

50D32D5E-5A5F-46FE-A233-1968330F35BD.jpe

Copyright Doug Rose

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

The plate to support the shafts at YR has been fettled and aluminium plugs made to locate them. The larger mass of the central one will be adapted to locate the lift car mechanism.

79088F96-89DF-4A53-BF55-5815D07B8D4D.jpe

The plate was chemically blacked and the tubes given a quick spray of barbecue black paint. This came out blacker than I expected and doesn’t ‘work’.

44E56124-E497-4372-81E0-EC6B74F9ED58.jpe

I then gave them a spray with grey undercoat, and they can now be seen on the complete layout. They look better and are not quite as light as shown in the picture.

8B3C1B57-73D5-422E-978B-1FB342722D35.jpe

I will have to cut out the ‘windows’ for the spiral stair case and the lift shaft. I think it would look rather good with the shafts fully weathered. Question is, what would they look like? The inside looks like this:

D48980BC-CB47-472C-82EF-FD9356FDCB1F.jpe

What does the team think?

Tim

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

It’s all a bit of a quandary, really. The iron may be in an anaerobic atmosphere within the clay so would probably not rust much. Equally it would be below the water table for some of the depth (Gasworks is a very wet tunnel). There could be water channels around the shafts. 
What colour are cast iron pipes when they’re dug up?

Tim