Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

Thought I would start a thread on the MRC 2mm layout.

We are off to Utrecht, Houten ( http://www.rail.nl/ ) this week for the show on Friday 24th to Sunday 26th. Any 2mm modellers welcome to call by.

We have been making good progress on the up Goods Line covering the whole extent of the layout with the entrance to the KX Goods Yard, but this won't be complete for this show: it may be for the upcoming York show. The sight of trains transiting the goods lines at the South End will be very welcome after many years of development - there are a few double slips being modelled in the goods yard throat and the offstage civil engineering for the fiddle yard tracks is quite impressive.

The layout will be in the RM next month (I think the last time was 1989) and Craig Tiley has taken some cracking photos of the layout.

Tim

• Like 7

Hi Tim,

Looks like some good progress is taking place.

I enjoyed seeing Copenhagen Fields at the MRC HQ in May last year when I visited the UK. Very impressed and enjoyed my night too.

I also visited the Gresley Beat, so saw 2 LNER layouts of Kings Cross area.

Look forward to seeing it in the RM, but wont be visiting Utrecht, Houten unfortunately.

Mark in OZ

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was lucky enough to see some of the photos for the RM article when I saw Tim a few weeks ago and they really are superb. They really capture the drama of the GN mainline out of KX and hopefully will be given the full double spread treatment.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We desperately need some point ridding around the Belle Isle Up and Copenhagen Junction signal boxes: it's on the list. The scenery on the north side of the of the NLR has advanced a bit since these photos were taken.

Tim

• Like 1

Hello.

Its great to see CF here, on RMWeb as well as a bit of a pleasant surprise. The layout is pretty much the flagship layout for 2mm Finescale and a great advert for the scale.

Is the plan to update this thread with any progress on the layout? If so I cannot wait to see how things are progressing...

Missy :)

• RMweb Gold

Somewhere I still have the Graham Farish Catalouge that featured CF as the backdrop, and I didn't keep it for the stock! This is modelling at the pinnacle for me.

Tom.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Wow;

Thanks for the like this press, I hope Tim Watson does not mind these pictures going up I have a few of bits of the layout in its linear cases. I glad you like the pictures hopefully I get a chance to take some of the progress that has been done since I last played trains on CF at the 2mm show in oxford two years ago.

• Like 1

I have to say that for for me CF is my most inspirational layout of all time:

It encompasses scope, detail, atmosphere, period observation, dedication and long-term planning on the most impressive scale.

It takes my breath away everytime I see new pictures of it, and it sets the standard to which I aspire.

I'm glad to see a thread about it here on RMW and look forward to updates when you can :)

Meanwhile, good luck with the exhibition in Utrecht.

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As others have said it's great to see Copenhagen fields on RMweb. It's a fantastic layout but one you never want to see exhibiting opposite you. It gets all the attention :)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the house from the Lady Killers, what a great series of pictures this layout captures the look and feel of the area in that time period out staning and in 2mm as well.

Thank you for posting them.

Pete

Hi all

I think I've read somewher that the "Ladykillers" house was a temporary structrure built for the film, there wasn't a house there in real life.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi all

I think I've read somewher that the "Ladykillers" house was a temporary structrure built for the film, there wasn't a house there in real life.

Ian

That's correct. I think it was in Frederica Street. The internal shots looking out were taken from a location that faces St Pancras. I reckon it was in Argylle St. where it makes a sharp bend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I too still have the Graham Farish catalogue with Copenhagen Fields featured; have been following it on the web and in magazines for years but never seen it in person...must rectify that soon! Still looking awesome :O

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Ian

Indeed, Tim has written about this elswehere. Interestingly, the first photo posted by Redkiterail above shows what the Copenhagen Fields team call 'Mrs Wilberforce's Yard'. The site occupied by the house is at the left of the photograph, just where the street ends. There's a couple of delightful little cameos relating to the film as well.

Michael

• Like 1

What I love about this model is that it has been about for years and it is still developing, I can see the beginnings of Kings Cross goods in the pictures about.

Ironically that's also quoted by some as a reason to dislike it.

Normally I do tend to be put off by unfinished layouts (so often worn out and been everywhere before you actually get to see them finished), however i'll make an exception for CF: it is a massive project with a lot of detail and there is always something new/finished/different/improved every time you see it...

I was only looking in old MRJs this lunchtime and saw that the layout was conceived almost 30 years ago. The LNER didn't last that long! I think the approach is far better than building a new layout every few years and throwing the old one away - especially when the quality is high right from the start.

• RMweb Premium

I first saw CF at an IMREX back in the late eighties or early nineties - it was awesome then - made me think that they were doing in 2mmfs what I was struggling with in 4mm. I've seen it several times since, the last being Warley 2010, and it still cannot fail to impress. It was CF and Highbury Colliery that finally convinced me to have a go at 2mmfs - the contrast between them in subject but the similarity in terms of modelling excellence.

Being born and bred on the ECML I've always wanted to model that line in the sixties or seventies - one can love the A3s and A4s and the Deltics. Retford is being done in 4mm - perhaps Newark Northgate between Beacon Hill bridge and Lincoln Road bridge in 2mmfs set before the gas works closed and R&Ms still had rail access.

John