Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

The goods yard entry pointwork is now being installed- Templot is used to define the geometry. pointwork is fairly traditional, PCB sleepers with chairplates (from various sources). We will be trying Easitrack for some of the plaintrack routes to see how it stands up to our punishing exibition running.

post-14910-0-55589100-1331461305.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Don

It's not so much the running, as the layout sitting in a freezing cold van overnight and then being heated up in an exhibition hall. We actually have a section of Denys Brownlee's original plastic sleeper based track from the 1960's - 70's on the layout: this has no positive rail location in the moulding, but does have a pin every 6". This has not caused any problems in 25 years. I think the secret is to make sure the track is ballasted early on.

CF is built like a battleship, (let's say more battlecruiser, because we try to keep the weight down) which is why it has survived without needing major maintenance.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Tim I was thinking of the dangers such as train cleaning particularly as club layouts are often operated by modellers from other scales who may not appreciate the different types of track. PCB trackwork is pretty strong, the easitrac seem strong enough for normal use but I assume there are places where the track is at arms length I would be conerned if a cloth being used to wipe the track caught in a rail joint. Because Easitrac comes in short lengths it would be easy to put a pcb sleeper at each end and possibly one or two in the middle to provide a bit of extra strength. As you say once ballasted it helps to keep the sleepers fixed.

Don

Great layout! I remember seeing this layout over the last ten years or so and hope to see it again in a couple of weeks. Exceptionally good modelling here and it sets the standard to aspire to!

CF MRC I've sent you a PM.

Guest Natalie Graham

I have just been reading the article in Railway Modeller. It is certainly impressive. Makes me feel old to read that it has been going for 30 years. It was just in the planning stages when I, briefly, tried 2mm FS the first time round. (Back when most loco building articles still started out with how to build the wheels and motor. Too much for my (lack of) skills at the time.)

I like the double-headed GNR singles on the cover shot, (even if the second one does look like it is trying to do wheelies. :) )

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First train round the complete Up Goods line on Copenhagen Fields today!

After a lot of work this last few months, we finally have the first of the goods lines traversing the expanse of the KX Goods Yard. All things being well, at York next week end, we will have goods trains threading under the NLR viaduct at the higher level via Copenhagen Tunnel.

See some of you then? Do make yourselves known at the layout.

Tim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

First train round the complete Up Goods line on Copenhagen Fields today!

After a lot of work this last few months, we finally have the first of the goods lines traversing the expanse of the KX Goods Yard. All things being well, at York next week end, we will have goods trains threading under the NLR viaduct at the higher level via Copenhagen Tunnel.

See some of you then? Do make yourselves known at the layout.

Tim

Excellent news Tim - best I get some of those horse drawn drays etc I started for CF finished! See you at York next weekend - we are up in the gods on the third floor.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its nice to see 88. It feels like an old friend because it and 3850 were regulars on the West Somerset. A mile from the station I could tell which one was there. Cf just keeps getting better. I went through there to Peterborough the other weekend. Said to see how much has been ripped up.

Don

]My old 4F, built from a GEM kit some 30 odd years ago has now been retired, it has been dropped countless times repainted twice and had a new tender. At Houten the frames were rebushed to keep it going. To replace it a new 4F is being built, largely from a Raithby kit, but with a few scratchbuilt details. It is nearly finished now, just a few more fiddly bits to add, and paint. The pictures show progress to date.

post-14885-0-33314900-1334924557_thumb.jpg

post-14885-0-36502200-1334924732_thumb.jpgpost-14885-0-89621500-1334924815_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

After trawling for hours through the archives of the Luftwaffe, held at the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth, I have managed to locate this reconnaisance / bombsight view taken from a JU88 in September 1940. It bears an uncanny resembleance to Copenhagen Fields, the model.

Tim

post-13388-0-09186400-1335521361.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-13388-0-50199500-1407174996.pngpost-13388-0-20004800-1407174805.pngVia Eboracum or York Way viaduct: 2mm scale in the garden.  

I have been working on this somewhat massive structure over the last few weeks.  It started as my summer holiday caravan project and has been the conversion of the temporary York Way Viaduct  to a permanent structure (as usual on our layout, temporary can mean anything between 15 weeks and 15 years: the latter in this case).  Of this the Romans would be proud, henceforth it is to be known as the VIA EBORACUM.  The viaduct has used acres of Slaters brick plastikard and some natty 10 thou thick styrene arches that Mike Randall cut out using a CAD driven Sillhouette cutter.  There are 21 arches all told and it will make a very impressive back stop to the goods yard view when complete.  It needs the granite road setts and pavements putting in and a lot of painting!  

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hi can anyone tell me anything about the G2 was it a scratch build or a reduced kit

Many thanks

John

The engine was made by Marcus Graham from some 4mm etches that were reduced to 2mm scale many years ago: I think originally from Mike Bryant. The chassis is scratch built with a simple 30:1 worm wheel set - it's very nearly a rack loco with such small driving wheels! It has a Maxon motor in the tender.

Tim

The engine was made by Marcus Graham from some 4mm etches that were reduced to 2mm scale many years ago: I think originally from Mike Bryant. The chassis is scratch built with a simple 30:1 worm wheel set - it's very nearly a rack loco with such small driving wheels! It has a Maxon motor in the tender.

Tim

I had another batch of these etches done, I might even have some left (somewhere).

Chris