Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

On a layout one can often end up with awkward corners, which should have a building, but would probably entail cutting through it at a funny angle, only having part of it modelled. We have always tried to avoid this ugly effect on CF; although the York Road tube station will be an exception to this rule. A building in a dilapidated state, or being demolished is an alternative which Matthew Wald very successfully used on the south end of the original Caledonian Road scene.

At the south end of CF, behind Tom Knapp’s Paget Christian Mission is a very awkard piece of real estate. It is one of the most obvious parts of the Belle Isle section on top of Gasworks Tunnel, and so needs something interesting to hold the eye: there are only just so many trees that you can plant on CF.

35a8zk9.jpg

I therefore started making a cameo of a building being demolished, as a demonstration at the Model Engineer show at Ally Pally. Whilst building it, I was fortunate to get lots of advice from retired civil engineers and carpenters, and it has now been completed with a few more hours work at home. The building was obviously a small 3rd rate London terraced house, of which there were examples on this road.

23u1zpl.jpg

295y1pj.jpg

288v8gk.jpg

The ‘one holer’ will have a tin roof on it when complete and there will be pavement at the front. Our home made brick styrene sheet is very useful for helping to get this sort of decrepit appearance in a building. The workmen have been incredibly tidy so far, clearing away all the debris as they work(!) It will be painted in this condition and then piles of timber, bricks & detritus added, subsequently. Painting will be fun...

Tim

P.S. From certain angles it does look a bit like the Alamo.

• Like 13

One bit of street furniture that would have almost certainly appeared in the streets modelled on CF, possibly more than once, but which I think is lacking, is a fire call post which were commonplace on London streets between the end of the Victorian era and the early 1950s. Although there was more than one design, that depicted below was typical, probably about 5 feet tall and painted LFB red, and should be easy to model even in 2FS.

post-10038-0-90393700-1548106220_thumb.jpg

One bit of street furniture that would have almost certainly appeared in the streets modelled on CF, possibly more than once, but which I think is lacking, is a fire call post which were commonplace on London streets between the end of the Victorian era and the early 1950s. Although there was more than one design, that depicted below was typical, probably about 5 feet tall and painted LFB red, and should be easy to model even in 2FS.

attachicon.gifLondon StreetFireAlarmPost.jpg

Please excuse a facetious question. If this was a posed photograph, why is the lady missing one shoe?

If not posed, why was the photographer not helping her?

(or perhaps the alarming tendency for people to stand by and take pictures is not as recent as we think?) 

• RMweb Gold

Please excuse a facetious question. If this was a posed photograph, why is the lady missing one shoe?

If not posed, why was the photographer not helping her?

(or perhaps the alarming tendency for people to stand by and take pictures is not as recent as we think?) 

Look in her hand.

MIke.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifLondon StreetFireAlarmPost.jpg

An overlong 7mm scale handrail stanchion would work well for this.

Tim

Tim,

That part-demolished building is starting to look really good. However, I suspect that really difficult bit is yet to come, getting the piles of what I might call the "petit"-debris right, the broken up plaster from ceilings and walls, for example, and an overall "dusty" look. If the demolition was actually being worked on, there might well be a bonfire burning somewhere too. Unfortunately, very few photographs seem to exist of the demolition of small buildings at that period when there was little machinery involvement. There are though a few pictures of bomb damage which might help, this one http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/conMediaFile.415/Bomb-damage-on-Cundy-Road-Custom-House.html for example. This video clip on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1nKk39vsw of a visit by the "high and mighty" to a slum clearance site might be useful too.

David

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of dust from Lime mortar and lath and plaster ceilings. Now having a couple of years ago removed an ugly pre WW2 first floor extension which was allowing water into the roof we should have taken photos of the mess just in case. The biggest problem was removing 2 ton of tarmac on the top of the roof and the cast in situ lintels. As there was just Marion and me much use was made of ropes to lower bits safely. Certainly piles of lath being burnt would be very likely. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

Afraid I stopped short of carving in the frogs in the bricks. Hope this is OK, David.

nwlw20.jpg

With lath & plaster ceilings added

htgxtu.jpg

I think I might move the steam tractor from the north end of the layout to this road and make a traction wagon to go behind it, being loaded up with the demolished building. Alternatively, I might just leave the traction wagon by the road side, with the light engine still coming down the Cally Road to pick it up. Decisions, decisions...

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hardly. It's a right mess. He'll need to get that tidied up before the in-laws come round for tea...

... and fix the roof. Shame there isn't a disagree button any more!

Looks spot on Tim, demolition was one of my specialities when I was on the tools!

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 2

Tim,

A lovely ruin.

Just a couple of thoughts -

I think that a trailer at the kerbside, loaded with salvaged bricks and with a few reusable joists on top would be about right. You wouldn’t want to have a steam lorry/engine parked and wasting fuel while labourers got round to loading up.

Also I think that a bonfire on site would be almost inevitable, to burn laths and rotten and small timber. Just a volcano of unburnt bits and a crater of ashes in the centre. If it was against a wall, any bricks would be scorched reddish by the heat.

Look forward to seeing more.

Best wishes,

John

• RMweb Premium

Also I think that a bonfire on site would be almost inevitable, to burn laths and rotten and small timber. Just a volcano of unburnt bits and a crater of ashes in the centre. If it was against a wall, any bricks would be scorched reddish by the heat.

Look forward to seeing more.

Like this John?

mrcxae.jpg

33tqo82.jpg

Excellent idea, thank you.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic model. Another suggestion, if you haven't thought of them already -  few fly posters on the frontage?

Actually, Bill Stickers is going to be doing a fair bit of clandestine posting in the area fairly soon.

Tim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The little dereliction scene can now be seen in context close to the wall on top of Gasworks Tunnel. Notice the cat on the hot tin roof.

149ccno.jpg

2a8jbia.jpg

It’s interesting to compare the original site:

35a8zk9.jpg

With how it is now:

ny5gkx.jpg

Bill Stickers has been around and the Mission building has now been weathered into the style of the layout, but will need more backyard stuff.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1