Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

I took the building group outside for a photo. The model is made for artificial lighting, but the outdoor light does pick up all sorts of subtlety in the brickwork.

1538xz5.jpg

Still more tidying up / crack filling to do on the model. Needs someone to change the colour of the grass background: bit bright for London.

Tim

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

CF had become increasingly fragile in the electrical engineering department over the last couple of years: mainly due to an illogical wiring system that had grown like Topsy as the layout had extended and it’s operation evolved.  It sustained some damage at Acton in the summer and was only just satisfactory at Wakefield in November.  We have therefore re-wired all of the fiddle yards and re-made the loom supplying them and all the central connections within the panels.  Hopefully, the layout will be better served by its wiring at the Basingstoke show on 9-10th March.

Tim

72CB24F4-4B15-4B80-B69C-A6EE5C0858A3.jpeg

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We had a good show at Basingstoke, although our sanity was sorely tried by a closeby O gauge diesel depot with DCC sound that closely mimicked purgatory. 

Our re-wire was 100% successful, so that’ll be good for another 35 years.   The layout was set up in four hours and dismantled in two: which greatly improves the experience for the team - it’s still jolly hard work though.  We really need a new mechanism for the GNR J13, so some Asssociation chassis etches for a  57xx will help there. 

On the Sunday, it seems that all the great and the good from the 2mm SA turned up: JB-S, Jerry & of course MF.  Matthew Wald completed the team over the weekend, bringing together all the layout originators. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We had a good show at Basingstoke, although our sanity was sorely tried by a closeby O gauge diesel depot with DCC sound that closely mimicked purgatory. 

I reckon that being close to Steam Powered Video is worse. I once spent a weekend exhibiting near their stand and by the end of Sunday I was word perfect on their continuous demo video - and, not only had I been trying hard to ignore it, it was on my deaf side!

• Agree 2

Great to see Copenhagen Fields yesterday and catch up with Tim and Jerry as well as meet JBS and Justin for the first time.

The layout looks great and nice to see the latest buildings in place. The thing that always astounds me about CF is, despite its huge size, the standard of modelling is consistently very high and every piece of the layout fits in with the surroundings.

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of CF history from 1989 has been found by Justin on YouTube:

https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-RBaSdUMIMM&data=01|01|timothy.f.watson%40kcl.ac.uk|ddadbdd495e54aea33d208d6a7e4fec3|8370cf1416f34c16b83c724071654356|0&sdata=12O1tds5JFkeP9kwOot6UQ8pCWSzdVi6GA83ul4MHAs%3D&reserved=0

It was our very first Blue Peter appearance: I didn’t know the film existed.  The second appearance was a disaster - a live derailment - but the third and fourth were very successful, especially the latter which involved blue screen filming. Incidentally, the top of my head features at the back of the layout (darker hair in those days) as we were running it sitting on the floor.   What is interesting is how informative the commentary is on the layout, one wonders if a modern children’s programme would have such depth. However, they (we) were a bit optimistic to think that the layout would be finished in 5 years!

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For anyone interested, the MRC is having an Open Day on the 28th April which will have CF fully on display.  We will also have a running session on Thursday 18th April, which may be a little less busy.   

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic layout.

a slightly off topic question but I didn’t know where else on here to ask; what was the white, humpy-roofed building next to and just west of Kings Cross refuelling point? It must have been close to Battle Bridge Road and features in the background of almost all photos taken in the 60s and 70s of locos on the fuelling point. It no longer exists. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9001 said:

Fantastic layout.

a slightly off topic question but I didn’t know where else on here to ask; what was the white, humpy-roofed building next to and just west of Kings Cross refuelling point? It must have been close to Battle Bridge Road and features in the background of almost all photos taken in the 60s and 70s of locos on the fuelling point. It no longer exists. 

IIRC it was a vehicle servicing depot,  NC something? (the parcel carriers ?)

1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

Nice to see the great artist, Van Watson, creating another masterpiece before our very eyes!  :paint:

David

Either those buildings at the front are over scale, or the painter and decorator hired by CF (looks vaguely familiar) is an elf... :blink: