Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

The Morris was from Scale Link - if you want one I would order fairly soon as they are winding down.  The Austin 7s came via Mark F and are from Autocraft. They are quite cute little castings and the lack of spokes, is I think appropriate. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like the Austin 7 is still available. 
C5428CDC-E0D5-40EC-AF7A-F31B6B82DB86.jpe

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They do need a bit of working up.  Leaving the wheel centres empty is rather clever. What's needed is some suggestion of an axle and brake drum.

The address on the packet is 101 Enville Road, Kinver, South Staffs DY7 6BU.  I got mine on ebay but they don't seem to available there now.

Here's a couple I've done. The Reliant is OK but the Austin van (and also the saloon) need to be a bit busier around the front axle, I feel.
20210225_103929a.jpg.548dcfea498f0b12e2f5bfb05a22ea36.jpg

• Like 4

Very smart Mark. Just had an enjoyable few minutes searching for photos - seems to be several different variants of the Van, hardly surprising given it's long lifespan!

think this is the same model though...

512px-1933_Austin_7_Van_%2821672694740%2
1933 Austin 7 Van (21672694740)
Jeremy from Sydney, Australia, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Spokes might be a bit of a challenge given how they cross over each other, but a starting handle and an impression of whatever that is (brakes? suspension?) in front of the front axle would make a big difference. Even painting the axle end to represent a hubcab may help. Better put my money where my mouth is and keep an eye out for one on eBay though!

• Like 2

A couple of nights ago I re-watched some videos about CF.   This may seem like heresy to some people out there but I came to the same conclusion I did when I watched them before, I prefer the video to seeing the actual layout.  The layout is so 'small' and as a result I found it difficult to take in everything that was there.  In a good video I can see it all and without the ignoramuses pushing, shoving and line jumping.   As a thought, so much has changed in the last few years how about another one ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the CG & LH photos Pekka, in a universe far, far away...

An interesting view on videos of CF. Following on from the last two comments we actually have some special plans developing for showing CF at Keen House in the early summer to very small groups, partly to allow people to get very close to all aspects of it but also to help raise funds for the MRC (not a trivial issue at present). I think we will be getting some decent video of it as well at the same time. There will be model press announcements and on here, of course, when the logistics are worked out: it’s just a matter of getting the timings right regarding COVID constraints. Do you think it’s a worthwhile exercise? - it will be quite hard work. 

Tim

• Like 6

3 hours ago, PSi said:

Looking back — perhaps slightly off topic — some shots of the predecessor of Copenhagen Fields: Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo! These shots were taken at December 1981, roughly 40 years ago.  The slides were shot on daylight film, quite under-exposed, now heavily adjusted to get something out of them. Sorry for the colours!

dia_029_29.jpg.eb0c67cb9e5c15b42ea9a00687bb3685.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing - it probably deserves a folder of its own. I hadn't seen much of this layout before, but wish I had. 

I really like the depth of scenery either side of the tracks, taking real advantage of the scale in the best way.  The rolling fields, hedges and trees really create atmosphere and the period buildings are superb. 

Pardon my ignorance - is it based on a real location?

What happened to this layout?

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve: 

CG & LH was based on the area just south of Luton in the Chiltern Hills. The mainline was Midland and the branch GN.  All track was handmade using 55 thou NS strip on the mainlines. The down main could run 2mm fine scale as well as N, as it had universal turnouts offstage; the branch was FS only and added later. It was started in 1977 (using village buildings off an early N gauge layout - Gouldby for Caldecote) and was exhibited from 1979 - 1984, then sold to a country house type museum who subsequently sold it to the South Devon railway centre. They sold it on last year, but I don’t know where to. The trees used mainly scouring pads for foliage - at that time Woodland Scenics was expensive and only just becoming available and grass was made from flock fibres. Distant trees were lichen - something I still think is excellent in that situation. The back scene would certainly be made higher nowadays, but it worked well enough.  It featured in the first video of the ‘Lineside Look at Model Railways’ video series. 

Tim

P.S. The adjustable baseboard feet and joiners were re-cycled for use on CF!

Edited by CF MRC
Adding embarrassing video link.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Steve: 

CG & LH was based on the area just south of Luton in the Chiltern Hills. The mainline was Midland and the branch GN.  All track was handmade using 55 thou NS strip on the mainlines. The down main could run 2mm fine scale as well as N, as it had universal turnouts offstage; the branch was FS only and added later. It was started in 1977 (using village buildings off an early N gauge layout - Gouldby for Caldecote) and was exhibited from 1979 - 1984, then sold to a country house type museum who subsequently sold it to the South Devon railway centre. They sold it on last year, but I don’t know where to. The trees used mainly scouring pads for foliage - at that time Woodland Scenics was expensive and only just becoming available and grass was made from flock fibres. Distant trees were lichen - something I still think is excellent in that situation. The back scene would certainly be made higher nowadays, but it worked well enough.

Thanks for the overview and shared video Tim. It looked like a well thought out layout and like you say in the video "the railway sits in the landscape".

Steve

PS - I didn't know you are from a farming background.   

23 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Thanks for the CG & LH photos Pekka, in a universe far, far away...

An interesting view on videos of CF. Following on from the last two comments we actually have some special plans developing for showing CF at Keen House in the early summer to very small groups, partly to allow people to get very close to all aspects of it but also to help raise funds for the MRC (not a trivial issue at present). I think we will be getting some decent video of it as well at the same time. There will be model press announcements and on here, of course, when the logistics are worked out: it’s just a matter of getting the timings right regarding COVID constraints. Do you think it’s a worthwhile exercise? - it will be quite hard work. 

Tim

Simple answer is Yes.  However, I am biased since i live in Canada.  Would not object to purchasing a DVD (or download) as I did for Grantham - The Stream Liner Years.

• RMweb Gold

I was recently sent these pictures of CG by a friend. I saw it a couple of times, once with and once without LH. The first was Bristol, I was still at school so 79 or 80, I seem to remember Heckmondwyke was also there. At the time I was on the point of giving up N gauge as my two Farish locos were so poor and my Minitrix

ones worked well but didn't look great, I couldn't afford a Peco Jubilee! CG looked and worked beautifully, it inspired me to keep at it. The second, with LH, was in London I think and would have been a couple of years later - 82-83? That visit and a few influential articles in RM around that time by people like Nick Dearnley and particularly John Greenwood, persuaded me to join the 2mm Association (84/85?) although it was a long time before I successfully built anything that worked well.

The pictures are from Imrex 1980.

jerry

1126573745_21F045_19800412_Central-Hall-NMRE-N2FS_Chiltern-Green-MR.JPG.51e7c50c620fbff216d491b1f98e2a5c.JPGv253825832_23F045_19800412_Central-Hall-NMRE-N2FS_Chiltern-Green-MR.JPG.f97c3adeaab9fa863e1097d3bea7ba2e.JPG1226221970_24F045_19800412_Central-Hall-NMRE-N2FS_Chiltern-Green.JPG.54729b2aa5d6ef1899c48b54ed1e7443.JPG1788477558_25F045_19800412_Central-Hall-NMRE-N2FS_Chiltern-Green-MR.JPG.1b995c007077ac64bf313d1e3b187f4c.JPG140546174_22F045_19800412_Central-Hall-NMRE-N2FS_Chiltern-Green-MR.JPG.5a8468eaa9dbaa6ef12a7c39a3ad2153.JPG

• Like 9