Jump to content

Copenhagen Fields


CF MRC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Those horses look so much better than anything I have seen before. Is there any chance of getting them added to the list New Zealand Finescale sells to the public, or sold through the Association?

 

Duncan

  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We will be making this office building on the south ends of our Goods Shed. 
41F5CCA4-7CE2-4A18-8E7A-BDD258E0BF68.jpe

It has been contracted out to Tom Knapp in Hawaii, so a bit more international effort under a flag with a Union Jack on it.  The building is only 15’ deep (30mm in scale) and therefore adds very little to the actual layout length, but will produce an excellent end view for the south end operator. It will also add to the photographic potential across the roof scapes. The base extension has been made and I will complete the gable end of the goods sheds very shortly. 
C24DC5AC-BC78-4E06-9C1C-D4589CD88CF9.jpe

 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A moody moonlit view over Kings Cross goods sheds. 
C506BFBD-193E-4B6B-84E3-A8B66914ACD9.jpe

What may not be immediately obvious is that there have been substantial changes to this scene, which have involved a great deal of work. More to follow when it’s nearer complete. 
 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks very nice, Tim. 

 

One minor point, assuming that the scene is intended to be normally set during the working day, the gates at the top of the ramp would almost certainly have been open. No gatekeeper would give himself the extra work of having to keep going out and opening and shutting them. A realistic little cameo could be set up here of a horse and wagon stopped at the top of the ramp with the driver standing in front of the guichet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Looking at photos, David, it would appear that that entrance was seldom open. It was possibly used in the early days when there were cattle pens in that location. The goods would have all gone through the main, more southerly entrance, which was also near enough flat access. 
664C8883-5271-4156-869D-20544D2A6901.jpe

The potato market cart road entrance was through the fairly conspicuous canopy. 
 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, Tim, I didn't realise that there was a main entrance elsewhere and was somewhat mislead by the presence of the gatekeeper's cabin. I would obviously have expected the ramp to be wider if there were regular two-way traffic through the gate but assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the narrow width resulted from your necessary "adjustment" of the local geography. It still looks great!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks wonderful and I still can't understand how you chop up and modify existing structures and make them look as if nothing has ever happened.

But... where is "Kings Cross Goods Station Refreshment Club”?

 

Jan

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jan W said:

It looks wonderful and I still can't understand how you chop up and modify existing structures and make them look as if nothing has ever happened.

But... where is "Kings Cross Goods Station Refreshment Club”?

 

Jan

 

 

It’s original position on the layout has gone, Jan. However, we may move the back scene rearwards by 100mm behind these sheds and put in another.  There is a hint of it in one of the pictures above. That will enable the refreshment club to go in a more correct position, but tucked back a bit.  At that point, it might be possible to extend the rooms, as the prototype, to look more like this:

4AA54CA3-E235-45ED-A2BE-B01180AE86F3.jpe
The extended building is visible through the potato sheds. It might be useful for hiding the trains exiting through the back scene. I’ll have a better idea after the weekend.  I have highlighted the areas of the goods yard we have modelled in this picture:

B7A06D8B-8E05-44C8-BAB0-B7CA48DA808D.jpe

In the immortal words of Eric Morecambe, “All the right notes, but not in the right order.”

 

Tim


 

 

 

  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!

Small scale construction at its best...The placeholder building looks better than some of my finished ones...:(

Have to keep reminding myself that it's 2mm...

 

David 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It was great to get the new bit tried out at Keen House today. Having a back scene makes photography much easier.

2DE1004D-557F-480B-8620-D8985C6EE7C1.jpe
7A5C95E0-FD86-48E9-9A5A-F217F55D7242.jpe

The back scene at the south end has always been relatively crude, because the layout was unfinished. It now needs more finesse and one of the silhouette boards is also missing in the first picture - hence the greenery in the background. The line of the back scene has now been shifted back by 100mm at this point which opens the scene up quite well, but throws out the track alignment.  This allows another long shed to be built, but that will have some tricky geometric compression, whilst still allowing the refreshment club building to go on the end, with a correct roof profile.  The plywood profile sections are visible in this image:
B365FF77-578C-4576-8443-A5FF98477D9A.jpe

I will need to put some extra track in to ‘feed’ this shed. As it’s at the back & non working, it could be smaller i.e. N gauge. Does anyone have a 12 -18” panel of Finetrax they could donate to a worthy cause?

 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

It was great to get the new bit tried out at Keen House today. Having a back scene makes photography much easier.

2DE1004D-557F-480B-8620-D8985C6EE7C1.jpe
7A5C95E0-FD86-48E9-9A5A-F217F55D7242.jpe

The back scene at the south end has always been relatively crude, because the layout was unfinished. It now needs more finesse and one of the silhouette boards is also missing in the first picture - hence the greenery in the background. The line of the back scene has now been shifted back by 100mm at this point which opens the scene up quite well, but throws out the track alignment.  This allows another long shed to be built, but that will have some tricky geometric compression, whilst still allowing the refreshment club building to go on the end, with a correct roof profile.  The plywood profile sections are visible in this image:
B365FF77-578C-4576-8443-A5FF98477D9A.jpe

I will need to put some extra track in to ‘feed’ this shed. As it’s at the back & non working, it could be smaller i.e. N gauge. Does anyone have a 12 -18” panel of Finetrax they could donate to a worthy cause?

 

Tim

pm sent

 

Nick B

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can't wait to come to the Diamond Jubilee meeting next year and see CF there!!

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jan W said:

I really can't wait to come to the Diamond Jubilee meeting next year and see CF there!!

Here's hoping I'm allowed out (not by the Boss, but by the PM!)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The saga of the goods yard rumbles on, with the extension of the Eastern Transit Shed(ish). 
1AD8CDC5-B574-4A53-B46D-1443E6AF321E.jpe

This was trial fitted on the layout last Thursday evening. 

1012FF22-570D-48EB-8E15-C037D2939132.jpe

The shift rearwards of the back scene will allow the various huts and the round house to be better positioned and more visible from the front. Quite appropriately, a Refreshment Club mug was used to mark out the recess for the model building on the end wall of the transit shed.
9C4349BC-4FD6-4A50-8D34-BDD776081F23.jpe

693D7B8D-8C4A-4D76-9FC5-AF08D71FC7F2.jpe

The somewhat ugly far ‘leg’ of the main shed was hidden by an internal office structure made with clapboard: these show in some images of the prototype.

84192F43-E3F9-4B46-8A62-FD4AE7399404.jpe 

004BCCDC-9608-4E71-A87E-A582C71360E3.jpe
This whole assembly will be masked a bit by Jim’s new canopy (shown as a ply rectangle in the first image above), but it will all look very interesting.

 

Tim

 

  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Artwork for the canopy parts (among other things) went to PPD last night and was acknowledged today.  Awaiting their quote.  Delivery is presently around 3-4 weeks following acceptance and payment.

 

Jim

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...