Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

They all start somewhere....

This photo was taken in the early 1990s at an IMREX show at the Old Horticultural Hall.  It shows the Holloway Bank end of the layout with the very beginnings of the Belle Isle NLR viaducts on the far left.  Young James used to sit on my lap to run the layout when he was smaller, whilst lurking in the background is David (Kylestrone).  

2r1uw.jpg

We don't have many photos of the layout on show in its early days, mobile phones hadn't been invented....

Tim

• Like 10

This photo was taken in the early 1990s at an IMREX show at the Old Horticultural Hall.  It shows the Holloway Bank end of the layout with the very beginnings of the Belle Isle NLR viaducts on the far left.  Young James used to sit on my lap to run the layout when he was smaller, whilst lurking in the background is David (Kylestrone).  

2r1uw.jpg

We don't have many photos of the layout on show in its early days, mobile phones hadn't been invented....

Tim

Or cameras, come to that?!?

Spectacular. And I could not put it better than Alastair M, some of the best railway modelling I have seen.

And thanks to 2mmMark for the mouth watering pictures.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

2r1uw.jpg

Tim

I'll have to go through some my boxes of photos. I did take a few at various shows.

The positioning of the proscenium arch is interesting, due to the way the layout was lit.. I well recall those somewhat fragile display lights we used.

James grew up with the layout, didn't he?  A very good operator, as I recall. He came with us to Dortmund.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We have been doing quite a bit of work behind the scenes in the last few weeks to make CF easier to shift and exhibit - especially as we have Ally Pally coming up in less than a fortnight. We have a truly massive fiddle yard board at the back that has undergone a weight & width reduction programme. It is now 10kg lighter and a bit narrower. Our bespoke barrier is now screwed together, making it much more robust and unlikely to fall apart in transit. And silly things like a lifting hook and lifting bar are now properly located in storage pockets in the box they relate to. All of these minor changes can save valuable minutes when erecting and dismantling the layout.

Scenically, I expect Richard Wilson will have been working on his excellent block of shops at the south end of the layout. Elsewhere, it is often the minor details that have a significant effect. The trough in Belle Isle next to Copenhagen Junction signal box has been very empty for too long. It now has a representation of the point rodding, signal wire stanchions and a couple more telegraph poles. The rodding is not to the standard of many 2mm layouts and is made from PECO trackpins and brown cotton. Not particularly impressive, but it is a technique that survives well in our hands and certainly obeys the 4' rule. I think this railway 'clutter' makes a big difference to the ambience, even with no engines in view.

1rc8pz.jpg

We will be operating Mrs W's yard on the layout this Thursday at Keen House and I fancy using a small engine (Lord President).

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update - I can never get enough of Copenhagen Fields.

Mention of point rodding and signal wires / stanchions caught my attention. If there's any chance of pictures / broad details at some point I'd be interested.

Here's another view Mark (never seen by the normal layout viewer).

2ykgzg9.jpg

The rodding is visible running both directions from the signal box. The blackened track pins represent the A frames. The cotton is tied around the first pin and then wound round a few more along the run: especially where there are slight changes in direction. The cotton is locked into place with super glue. The intermediate pins/frames are then pushed in along the route, between the pins already in place, again with super glue to hold the cotton. Finally, the pin heads are cut off with some side cutters. For double or more runs the cotton goes down either side of the pins etc. The next board south, will have a huge amount of point rodding on it, but this will not be done in time for Ally Pally.

The signal wire stanchions are just a row of slightly higher pins, visible in the distance. There is no way you can represent the wires, but less is more in 2mm scale.

Tim

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Very effective Tim. It is funny about details I can remember Eames used to have a display case of 'scale model locos 00 for sale' some 50 years later these are put to shame by the details on commercial N gauge models. Our expectations have changed. I suspect that once you add details like the point rodding you cannot quite believe that you were happy to show the layout without it. 

It also raises the bar having seen the rodding on Highclere and now on Copenhagen Fields I am going to have to think about doing something myself when I get to build my 2mm layout. The lack of rodding would stand out more than the rivets (or lack of them) on a loco to my mind.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Streamliners in Cally Goods. Pictures say it all.

9k3tjb.jpg

ohtjbl.jpg

Lord President tried to straighten out some of the tighter curves in the goods yard: just like the real thing.

Tim

• Like 16

Tim

Now that CF is getting to be somewhere near complete, it would be interesting to see some photographic comparison(s) between the concept miniature (I can't remember whether it still exists, but presume so) and the layout as it has evolved in practice.

• RMweb Premium

The tram wheels skid along the rails on the Cally on CF. It was catching a bit today during set up for Ally Pally, so on examination, we found this:

29v15bb.jpg

The wheels were originally Denys Brownlee acetal mouldings to replace PECO wheels. These have been replaced three or four times in the life history of the tram. The new set can be seen in place. They may take a little while to 'bed in', but think how many hundreds of miles the tram has covered.

316rvoy.jpg

There was a strange and tenacious magnetic dust on the magnet: visible in the bottom of the picture. The MW87 is Matthew Wald's mark, so it is celebrating the big three 0 this year.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Through much experimentation it was found that the tram ran smoothest with its wheels fixed! When the wheels were allowed to rotate, it had a tendency to oscillate backwards and forwards when following the magnet (there is a big magnet attached to the mechanism, that runs underneath the road, which drags the tram along by magnetic attraction). It needed a certain amount of friction to smooth out the movement.

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

We had a good show at Ally Pally this weekend, meeting lots of friends and having great conversations with members of the public. As usual, the layout took a little while to settle in on Saturday morning (never talk to me until at least 1130 on a Saturday). Unfortunately, the NLR Oerlikon set wasn't functioning, as there was an electrical gremlin. We knew that the problem was with one track feed but couldn't find the source, at least not with it all erected. At least the tram performed very well with its new wheels. I had flown in from the US on Friday and so was very pleased that the layout had gone together pretty well by the time I rolled up at 1300.

Sunday allowed a bit of trialling and so Lord President was given a run. The front pony truck probably needs a bit of weight or springing, or both, but load haulage wasn't an issue. This slightly awkward video was taken towards the end of Sunday afternoon, with LP running light engine. It is certainly a good engine to find bits of tighter radius track!

Tim

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

And the plan for the next layout. :)

The next layout is planned......somewhere....there is always a " next layout", but as to whether any of us will see it built is another matter altogether. That privilege should rest with a younger generation. Tim, Mike, get your pipe and slippers ready!