Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

Just been using the Mangle, built by the late Peter Clark to finish off two loops at the South end of CF.

30wnmrk.jpg

We have been re-working the layout control systems, which will hopefully be operable, for our next Keen House Open Day on December 10th. The two turnouts were made by Mark and will have final installation on Sunday.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Robustness. Over to you Mark.

Tim

As Tim says, robustness and also speed.  There's no need for any individual sleepering so I simply used 2mm Assn. plain strip rail on sheets of 0.8mm PCB.  This matches up closely with the thickness of the brass & nickel strip rail. Thicker PCB would have meant scraping away the top layer of ply to provide a recess for the turnouts.

Soldering was dead easy, it just involved running a fillet of solder along the rail/pcb joint. I extended the check and wing rails to ensure reliable running. The tie bar is 1.5mm pcb with hinged pivots.

Electrical gapping was achieved by scraping away copper in appropriate locations and putting a saw cut in the rails.

It has occured to me that a quayside layout like Chapel Wharf could be constructed likewise. In that case, there would be no need to use the hard to find 0.8mm PCB, commonly available 1.5mm pcb would do just as well.

Mark

• Like 3

Sorry for a late response, but I only just saw your reply, Mark.

I always find doing this kind of construction that I end up with a kind of banana effect as the rail expands more than the PCB and therefore shrinks when it cools. Do you find this too, or am I just being extremely incompetent as usual?

• RMweb Gold

The two turnouts were a bit banana shaped before fixing but that's due to the PCB board rather than rail expansion - the ends were curved upwards towards the rail. 0.8mm is very flexible.

The turnouts are less than 300mm long overall so I'm not expecting any expansion issues.

The PCB was fixed down to a wooden base during construction as I used the milled turnout templates and their respective screw holes. There were no problems with expansion. The rails were tacked in place, followed by a small fillet of solder, just basic 60/40 tin lead, not low melting point at all. The trick is to even out the soldering along the workpiece to avoid getting any specific place particularly hot.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Mark. I hadn't made it very clear which way the banana effect was shaped on mine - it was the same as yours. Kind of relieved to hear that even a master craftsman like you is not completely immune from the phenomenon! ;)

Edited by Echo

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hello there ; I'm new here , so forgive my gaffs . . .but I 've been wondering . . .

I saw CF at, I think , both St Evenage and Ally Pally in 2017 but not since ; any chance of some snaps and chat regarding  recent progress ?

oh , and would there be an excuse to run Sarah Siddons or John Hampden on the NLR? ( I live near Oakleigh Park on the GN , and the local secondary used to be called John Hampden School , I think

, and we have a "Hampden Way" very near ) ( irrelevant? maybe!) 

bfn, Me.

• RMweb Gold

We only tend to take photos when the layout is erected. It's not set up permanently. I'm waiting for a chance to photograph a specfic building for an MRJ article. The layout is going up at Keen House soon as we need to do some work on it.

Tim Watson is writing about a new loco for the layout on his workshop thread. When incomplete, the loco was able to pull out entire stock of LNER coaches!

There will be a chance to see the layout at the LT Museum Acton Depot open day on 7th & 8th July.

We always have a "to-do" list and currently it's:

Tube electrics consolidation, extend power supply leads
South leg box power lead 1m longer
Bracket signal for NLR electric lines
Fixing for KX Goods warehouse
Repair UG distant
Support for iPad on middle backscene
Leaflet dispensers
Bracket fixing for south end backscene support
Tighten joints on back scenes
Re- engineer bolt for large hockey stick and linking fiddle yard boards
Loop catch to hold north end of Tube board to HB section and drape
Train detection N & S end main lines
Drape pop-stud missing from front corner of Sopwith Camel board
Burger van box framing split on one corner - display board now very loose

Now some of this is our in-house jargon.  The layout will absorb an infinite amount of small details and if anyone would like to make, say, a 1925-1935 era road vehicle or some other appropriate model, it would be very welcome. It doesn't necessarily need to be very highly detailed as it can be placed so as to give the impression of activity.  A lot of the layout is simplified as it recedes to the backscene. If we hadn't done this, the thing would never have reached the stage it is today!   The running lines are two scale miles long.

• RMweb Premium

I actually possess the beautiful model of Sherlock Holmes made by the late Denys Brownlee. In theory they could run on the NLR, but don’t think they ever did. Denys’ model cannot run on CF as there is very sharp corner at the front of CF.

The layout will be erected at the Club over May / June prior to our Acton outing.

Tim

thanks for the replies , chaps ; and for not pointing out that my first gaffe was to spell gaffe wrong . . . 

I recently joined MRC and the 2mm society , so hope to turn up one thurs eve when CF is up at Keen House in May /June. 

( the other dates clash with family stuff . I suppose  you can't use your influence to change the Acton open day dates??? ).

and Tim , re Sherlock H, would love to see it running sometime. and LP , morphed into Mons Meg , is absolutely stunning.  

regards to all 

Andy

We only tend to take photos when the layout is erected. It's not set up permanently. I'm waiting for a chance to photograph a specfic building for an MRJ article. The layout is going up at Keen House soon as we need to do some work on it.

Tim Watson is writing about a new loco for the layout on his workshop thread. When incomplete, the loco was able to pull out entire stock of LNER coaches!

There will be a chance to see the layout at the LT Museum Acton Depot open day on 7th & 8th July.

We always have a "to-do" list and currently it's:

Tube electrics consolidation, extend power supply leads

South leg box power lead 1m longer

Bracket signal for NLR electric lines

Fixing for KX Goods warehouse

Repair UG distant

Support for iPad on middle backscene

Leaflet dispensers

Bracket fixing for south end backscene support

Tighten joints on back scenes

Re- engineer bolt for large hockey stick and linking fiddle yard boards

Loop catch to hold north end of Tube board to HB section and drape

Train detection N & S end main lines

Drape pop-stud missing from front corner of Sopwith Camel board

Burger van box framing split on one corner - display board now very loose

Now some of this is our in-house jargon.  The layout will absorb an infinite amount of small details and if anyone would like to make, say, a 1925-1935 era road vehicle or some other appropriate model, it would be very welcome. It doesn't necessarily need to be very highly detailed as it can be placed so as to give the impression of activity.  A lot of the layout is simplified as it recedes to the backscene. If we hadn't done this, the thing would never have reached the stage it is today!   The running lines are two scale miles long.

Mark

"Tim Watson is writing about a new loco for the layout on his workshop thread"  I have been unable to find this thread, could you point me in the right direction please.

Pete

Pete , try "TFW's workshop " .

stunning stuff . Tim's a genius .  99.9% of the technical stuff goes right over my head . . .

bfn Andy.

Many thanks Andy. Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The question was asked on the VAG - when is the next appearance of the layout.

7th & 8th July at the Acton LT Museum Depot open weekend.

This is not a specific model railway event, it's billed as a "family weekend".

"Join us for the launch of our first ever Acton Open Weekend dedicated to our youngest visitors and their families. Unearth a host of transport treasures at our rarely open Depot, meet costumed characters from the past, listen to stories from the underground and join in on one of our special family activities. Discover, learn and do – and have fun - in amongst our marvellous collection of vintage vehicles, quirky objects and fascinating interactivities."

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/museum-depot/open-weekends

Very close to Acton Town station on the Piccadilly Line

• RMweb Gold

I remember going to the old one at Clapham and later the one at Flower Market Covent Garden. I presume that has closed and it is now at Acton. Copenhagen Fields is just right for the exhibition I bet a lot of families will have fun spotting landmarks.

Don 

• RMweb Gold

Covent Garden is still open. Acton Depot is the home for the reserve collection and large items like trams, buses, trolleybuses and tube trains. It's not regularly open to the public.

Clapham was originally the British Transport collection and moved to York in the 1970s.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/the-northerner/2016/may/03/railway-museum-transport-york-london-1969-archive

• 1 month later...