Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Gold

Well whatever the Scots want to agree about the bit between Edingburgh and Glasgow any train heading north on Copenhagen Fields would be a Down train and one heading south would be an up train. It may sound a bit odd considering we refer to 'Up North'. It works better from Paddington or Waterloo when in common parlance we talk of going down to the West Country and going up to London. 

Don

I am also guessing that the mileposts also have a bearing. If they are going up in value you are travelling in the down direction. In my home town of Cheltenham on the MR Line the mileposts are in miles from Derby, so up is towards Birmingham and down towards Gloucester/Bristol. Which is the opposite for the old GWR line where travelling to Gloucester and on to Stroud/Swindon is up. 

Edited by Chris Higgs

Well whatever the Scots want to agree about the bit between Edingburgh and Glasgow any train heading north on Copenhagen Fields would be a Down train and one heading south would be an up train. It may sound a bit odd considering we refer to 'Up North'. It works better from Paddington or Waterloo when in common parlance we talk of going down to the West Country and going up to London. 

Don

In my 'Alma Mater' up is always towards Oxford.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

What always amazes me is how many people get confused with North and South on CF, but then I suppose it’s not surprising that not everyone has an intimate knowledge of the ECML, just north of KX!

Tim

What always amazes me is how many people get confused with North and South on CF, but then I suppose it’s not surprising that not everyone has an intimate knowledge of the ECML, just north of KX!

Perhaps the layout should have been built mirror image, that really would have caused confusion among the more learned! I do actually know of one past layout, admittedly not 2FS, that, although it was generally a scale model of a prototype, was built mirror image because it looked better - and remarkably few people spotted it; its exhibition appearances included IMREX.

Problem with building a mirror image would be that a mirror image trackplan would need trains to operate wrong line ie drive on the right otherwise the track arrangements would not work which comes back to up and down lines again.   I seem to remember being told that in early pre grouping days  up meant towards the headquarters of the Railway Company, down being away from. Grouping and Nationalisation concentrated it all on London.

best wishes,

Ian

I am also guessing that the mileposts also have a bearing. If they are going up in value you are travelling in the down direction. In my home town of Cheltenham on the MR Line the mileposts are in miles from Derby, so up is towards Birmingham and down towards Gloucester/Bristol. Which is the opposite for the old GWR line where travelling to Gloucester and on to Stroud/Swindon is up. 

Not always. There are certainly lines within what is now the London North Eastern/East Midlands route of Network Rail where the Up direction is towards high mileage.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not a very exciting picture this one, but shows a bit of a re-wire at the northend of CF: we sustained plug damage at our last show.

16jpj13.jpg

However, it does show our baseboard construction rather well, especially the very long joining bolts. Our efforts (all due to Mike Randall actually) in this department have paid off, as the joints and baseboards are still as good today as when they were made 34 years ago. CF will be at Wakefield in November 16-18th.

Our new MRC S7 layout, ‘Bow Junction’ uses an identical baseboard construction, but slightly different joiners.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a station in the westcountry where GWR and SR  Up trains left the station in opposite directions.

I'm a bit late to the party with this one but Sandy on the GN main line was exactly the same. It was 'Up' to London on the GN, and the same direction on the LNWR was 'Down' to Cambridge.

Not a very exciting picture this one, but shows a bit of a re-wire at the northend of CF: we sustained plug damage at our last show.

However, it does show our baseboard construction rather well, especially the very long joining bolts. Our efforts (all due to Mike Randall actually) in this department have paid off, as the joints and baseboards are still as good today as when they were made 34 years ago. CF will be at Wakefield in November 16-18th.

Ah, yes, I remember it well.

John

Afternoon all . I read somewhere on RMweb that CF is starring (! ) at Wakefield in the next week or so. I've tried , and failed , to persuade my minders/carers/family to go - we live just a mile or five to the northof Kings Cross, so I don't blame them really . . .

so

if you , Tim , and the Crew get a spare few minutes when you are there , can you please take some snaps/videos , so that the disciples , like me , who can only gaze in wonderment at the 2mm fs creations , can see

the progress being made ?

thanks awfully , in advance ,

Andy.

• Like 1

Afternoon all . I read somewhere on RMweb that CF is starring (! ) at Wakefield in the next week or so. I've tried , and failed , to persuade my minders/carers/family to go - we live just a mile or five to the northof Kings Cross, so I don't blame them really . . .soif you , Tim , and the Crew get a spare few minutes when you are there , can you please take some snaps/videos , so that the disciples , like me , who can only gaze in wonderment at the 2mm fs creations , can seethe progress being made ?thanks awfully , in advance ,Andy.

LNER weekend tickets are very reasonable and we do have visitors that come up from London, 2 hours to Wakefield 15 mins walk or 5 mins bus ride away

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Telegraph poles are often a bit of a Cinderella subject on model railways. On top of Gasworks Tunnel there was the mother and father of a telegraph pole that probably terminated some of the wires before sending them down through the tunnels. In fact the base of it still in-situ.

2irul2x.jpg

I played around with this and other images to try and work out what the pole consisted of. We are very fortunate that Bob Jones made some rather good telegraph cross arms to our design many years ago and these can be adapted quite well to a number of configurations. The pole was made from brass rod turned to a long taper, suitable length cross arms were added, soldered on at 90 degrees to each other, as well as bits of brass for the wiring conduits and other bits. The pole is firmly located in the ground of the tunnel top (it may remain a removable item), whilst the railed fence leading up to it was made from square brass section and rod, again well fixed into the ground. There was very little painting, as the pieces were chemically blacked and then dry brush weathered.

o7iv5c.jpg

Cecily thinks that a mascara brush would have been just as good. Maybe she has a point.

2zefs7c.jpg

Tim

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Tim. Do not know about the railways but GPO pole arms were either four way or eight way. I doubt you could reach if they were any wider than eight way. I am old enough to have run open copper wires on a route.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Tim.

just wondering . . . I think you took CF into the frozen north , this weekend;

how was it received?

did it behave itself?

any snaps ? ( I do like to see what you chaps have been doing since the last outing ! )

regards to all

Andy.

Edited by east barnet andy