Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Tom Harland

From the Scalefour forum it is reported that Tom Harland, the artist and modeller, and the inspiration behind the P4 layout Bramblewick, sadly passed away this morning after a fight against cancer.

A true gentleman, he was a pleasure to talk to at any of the shows that Bramblewick attended, on his building techniques, the NER, the area around Robin Hoods Bay on which the layout is based, his masterful backscene painting, and he will be sorely missed.

Many of us will have the MRJ poster featuring a scene from the layout on our wall.

My thoughts go out to his family.

• RMweb Gold

I'm proud to have a couple of Tom's paintings in my house - he was an artist in two dimensions as well as in three - and he has always captured perfectly the unique beauty of Hull and East Yorkshire.

Bramblewick is definitely one of my favorite layouts, a great influence. RIP, Tom, and sympathies and thoughts to his family.

Oh dear. I knew what this would be when I saw the heading; not something I was pleased to wake up to, but thanks for passing on the news Rod.

A mate of mine, before he married and joined the RAF, lived very near Tom, and that was how I first met him. Shortly afterwards he judged the Hull MRS competition for us. Ken Gibbons and myself only spoke to him, albeit briefly, at the Hull show last November, about some books he wanted; I wonder if he ever got them.

A great loss, he was respected for all his many talents. RIP and condolences.

This is such sad news. What a talented modeller and artist. His work inspired lots of us I'm sure: how many times did Bramblewick get mentioned on the recent "Which layouts have inspired you" thread - loads. It is certainly in my top 3 layouts, and quite possibly top 1. What a nice guy as well - always happy to have a chat about things North Eastern (or anything else for that matter) at shows.

WIll be missed. Sincere condolences to family and friends.

I hadn't realised until yesterday that it was Tom Harland's work that graced the start of the backscenes on Retford. I was aware of Tom's art works but hadn't joined the dots. As Roy said, "Someone who was taken before his time". RIP.

Retback.jpg

A very talented and creative individual - I think his use of tone and colour is unrivalled in the model railway world. It really reflected his 'day job'. Bramblewick is one of my favourite layouts, not just because of its NER theme either! And he was a throughly nice guy too - such a shame he'll never make our Area Group meetings as he said he hoped he would this year.

• RMweb Premium
I hadn't realised until yesterday that it was Tom Harland's work that graced the start of the backscenes on Retford. I was aware of Tom's art works but hadn't joined the dots. As Roy said, "Someone who was taken before his time". RIP. post-1-0-40771800-1330013199_thumb.jpg

When Tom came to install that first section of the backscene, jokes were made about him signing it because it would be worth something when he was gone, if we could only find a frame 8' x 1' 6" to allow us to hang it on a wall.

Well we aren't laughing about it now.

What a talented, modest, charming bloke we have lost. Some poor soul will eventually have to have a go at finishing the other 80' of backscene on Retford but coming even remotely close to the standard that Tom set on the first section will be almost impossible.

RIP Tom.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived