Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Malcom Crawley

Jol Wilkinson

Not only have we just heard the sad news that Tom Harland has passed away, but also that Malcom Crawley died at the weekend.

I knew Malcom through the support he provided to London Road Models, with information and guidance on the GNR/LNER kits introduced over recent years. He was also a close friend of the late George Norton, who produced the Connoisseurs Choice range (now part of LRM). Like George, he modelled in EM and was an excellent scratch/kit builder.

Malcom was a former Doncaster apprentice and more recently was one of the prime movers within the A1 Steam locomotive Trust who built Tornado.He was also closely involved in the Gresley Society and in the restoration of the GNR N2. A real gentleman, his passing is another great loss to our hobby.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Very nicely put Jol.

I had a couple of attempts at putting something on here about Malcolm but couldn't quite find the words.

There can't be many people who designed a real loco (or at least a large part of one) and model kits, or who helped build the original Peppercorn A1 pacifics and Tornado.

Malcolm has been a big part of my life for the last 30 years and I shall miss him very much indeed. I have spent two evenings a week at his house, sitting at the workbench modelling for much of that time. His knowledge of railways and his anecdotes of the characters he met during his long and varied career brought to life a time that I never knew first hand.

I particularly recall his campaign for the correct use of railway terminology. He didn't join the LNER Coach Association for many years because "The LNER didn't have any coaches, they had carriages". He joined a couple of years ago with the idea that he might get the name changed from within!

Please excuse the slightly "non PC" slant but my favourite Malcolm Crawley quote was "Cars, radios and women have chassis; locomotives have frames". Malcolm didn't quite ever grasp the concept of "PC"!

Rest in peace my friend and my thougts are with Marian and their lovely daughters and grand-children..

Tony Gee

This is not a good week for the hobby.

I only ever talked a couple of times to Malcolm at Expo EM -North - nice gentleman.

He made building engines look easy but then talented people do...

A mutual friend introduced me to Mr Crawley at the Great Central Railway in 2008, when Tornado was undergoing her running in, and I conversed with him a few times when our paths met through our mutual friend, and 60163 over the last three years.

He was so very patient with mine and other whippersnapper's questions on railways in general, that he made you feel at ease to learn from him. On the other occasions I chatted with him, he was always passionate, and so supportive of our mutual interests, that anyone, regardless of age or creed, would feel like they had known him forever. His thoughts on liveries and locomotive design, anecdotes and good nature will have a lasting impact on my life, particularly his thoughts on apple green and certain Pacific locomotives.

He was an astonishing source of knowledge, and his thoughts on the London & North Eastern Railway will never leave me. He was a gentleman, a scholar, an engineer, a wonderful person, and he leaves an incredible legacy behind for future generations of railway enthusiasts to enjoy and appreciate.

I had the pleasure of meeting Malcolm through an introduction by my cousin and I have to say,he was one of the nicest Gentlemen I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. His knowledge was probably unsurpassed and his modelling skills were amongst the quality of the very best,but I will always remember him with great affection for his smile, his nature, his dignity and not least his friendship.

RIP Gentlemen Malcolm Crawley.

Regards,Derek Betts.

What a bad week for the hobby this is. Two modellers gone who have produced inspirational work but Malcolm in particular for me whom I met many many times at Expo's and at other shows. A vast storehouse of knowledge, a dedicated loco man and extremely talented modeller who produced some superb locos which I had the pleasure and honour of actually judging in several of the Nottingham show competitions a few years ago. I cant think of anything better to say about the quality of his models that at least someone else stands a chance of winning now.

If there is an afterlife then he's there with George Norton and others right now demonstrating and producing superlative work.

Condolences to all of Malcolms family and friends, RIP.

Quite a shock - it only seems five minutes since I was chatting to him at Wakefield and it is only this week that I read his last entry as Chairman in the Gresley Observer. As others have said, a gentleman who merited the respect everyone who has posted clearly had for him.

• 3 months later...

Archived