For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Stubby's 3rd 2012 module

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

As ever, I can't let a good challenge lie, I have to go over the top. So as well as building both of the corner units for the 2012 module project, I'm also entering a smaller straight module.

This is based on the short ghost story by Mr C Dickens, wherein the Signalman is haunted by a spectre wearing shorts who appears to him three times, the last before his own untimely death.

This view shows the scene from an elevated position. What's missing is the front embankment, when in place this will confine the tracks in a narrow dark and gloomy cutting.

post-7025-0-14614500-1329831603_thumb.jpg

However, an ability to remove the embankment leaves an excellent viewpoint for photographing 'from the lineside'.

post-7025-0-71664900-1329831635_thumb.jpg

There are lots of trees to be added over the tunnel and behind the 'box - which will be a first for me as I've never made any before...

More progress to come !

Oh Stu,

How can you get so many projects done? Ho Ho...

Mrs Stubby must have the patience of a saint,

and you must live in a huge mansion! - or else,

you have a spare warehouse in the garden,

in which to store all your layouts!!

I know "The signalman" well - it'a a favourite ghost story,

chillingly told on the big screen

Nice idea, to do a model of it?

But how is your ghost going to appear?

And will there be haunting noises emantaing from the tunnel?

Nice idea, to have a removable nearside embankment...

Didn't the railway in the film consist of only 1 running line?

Ooops, that doesn't mean you have to rip one up..... honest ;)

Speak soon

Marc

aka Sparky Ramone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice one Stubby - that captures the dank / spooky feeling of the story well. There were times at Largin your mind could conjure up strange goings on, sounds, branches creaking, but no tunnel there. You are more likely to be verbally assaulted by some chav at Lostwithiel than you were come to harm at Largin.

My mate heard scrunching ballast and scraping on nights at Largin - once he has summoned the courage to look outside - it was a badger on patrol!

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Stubby - that captures the dank / spooky feeling of the story well. There were times at Largin your mind could conjure up strange goings on, sounds, branches creaking, but no tunnel there. You are more likely to be verbally assaulted by some chav at Lostwithiel than you were come to harm at Largin.

My mate heard scrunching ballast and scraping on nights at Largin - once he has summoned the courage to look outside - it was a badger on patrol!

Yes, there's something very atmospheric about the dark, dank stygian gloom of a remote tunnel!... ;)

I trust you'll get some aspiring thespian to record for you - 'Hello, below there!'...

• RMweb Gold

Stu, I could do you a recording if you wish and email it to you as an Mp3 file. My voice is (still) English but to the dark side of Sean Connery....

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I'd be honoured !

An MP3 file would be fine, I can rig up my iTouch and speakers to sit behind the module and play the recording on request.

Thank you very much !

Stu

• RMweb Gold

That will be the one Im thinking of....Fal vale junction

You could just model the waiting room with flashing lights at the window and sound effects as the train passed....

"There were some Truro folk off to a beanfeast at St Blands....."

That porter had all the best lines in that film.

I'll need to research this a bit more,....... No, no I can't, no, stop it, stop it.....

Just the waiting room you say, hmmmmm....

You could just model the waiting room with flashing lights at the window and sound effects as the train passed....

So that could be with special effects as in the original stage play?

On the other hand, if you were to base it on the 1931 version of the film, maybe I could pursuade you to build Camerton station building. After all, there's not much more to it than the waiting room. Then, when you've finished I could give it a home on my Camerton layout...

Nick

ps. in case you're wondering, it's English bond brickwork :wink_mini:

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout module has now been raised to the correct height, the plinth also includes a special speaker grill section...

Edit: ' layout' ? Pah! Delusions of grandeur again...

Archived